PDA

View Full Version : grinch interface cable question

gizmo
01-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Im expection my pcb any day now and thought i would start off by assembling the interface cord.

in the instructions wjohn e-mailed me he gives the "PINOUTs" does this mean the pin and corrisponding wires i need to use?

if so how do i know which pin is #1 (ect.) in the DB-25?

also which is #5 (ect.) in the RJ-45?

do i connect pins 18 through 25 in the DB all together and connect them to pin #3 in the RJ?

what about the unused pins/wires in each-- do i isolate them and they are unused?

lastly in the ** it mentioned pin #1 on the RJ "can be used for power feed into the board, or feed another controller". Does this mean i need an external power supply if so please give advise on what i need nd how to incorporate it?

thanks for all your help

excited nube scott

WakeFan
01-31-2008, 11:00 PM
The wiki is the best source for most of your questions

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinouts

on the 18-25 question, I just picked 1, but I think some people use them all.

You will need to supply 5v, most everyone used 5v for the computer's power supply.

gizmo
01-31-2008, 11:18 PM
The wiki is the best source for most of your questions

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinouts

on the 18-25 question, I just picked 1, but I think some people use them all.

You will need to supply 5v, most everyone used 5v for the computer's power supply.

thank you for the pinout

now when you say for the computers power supply did you mean froM the computerpower supply? not trying to be a smart a-- im asking because im a dumb a--.

if so above how is that done? please be specific aas possible.

thanks scott

JEEPGUY
02-01-2008, 04:18 AM
You need a +5vdc supply for the Grinch. You can get it FROM the PC's power supply. To tap into the 5Vdc from your computer, use one of the spare 4 pin Molex connectors to tie in to it. If you want you can also use a stand alone power supply from an old ATX power supply harvested from another PC or buy one on ebay. Check out this wiki on converting an ATX power supply. http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply It show you typical wiring colors.(red for +5v, yellow for +12 v etc)

JEEPGUY
02-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Take a look at his thread for more info on +5vdc and PC power supply:
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1699

Muskogee Gene
02-13-2008, 01:59 AM
I know I'm missing something but please help me out. Using an external power supply there are a pair of wires that carry the +5v. I connect one of those to pin 1 of the rj45. Where does the other connect? Pin 3?

Does anyone have a pix of their interface cable?

rlilly
02-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I know I'm missing something but please help me out. Using an external power supply there are a pair of wires that carry the +5v. I connect one of those to pin 1 of the rj45. Where does the other connect? Pin 3?

Does anyone have a pix of their interface cable?

If you're using an external supply, the easiest power connection would be at the J2 connector. Pin 1 = +5VDC, Pin 2 = Ground. The pin numbers for the J2 connector are silk screened on the PCB.

If you want to use the IN RJ45, pin 1 = +5VDC, pin 3= Ground. If you choose this route, install the jumper (shunt) on the J1 connector.

gizmo
02-13-2008, 07:53 PM
If you're using an external supply, the easiest power connection would be at the J2 connector. Pin 1 = +5VDC, Pin 2 = Ground. The pin numbers for the J2 connector are silk screened on the PCB.

If you want to use the IN RJ45, pin 1 = +5VDC, pin 3= Ground. If you choose this route, install the jumper (shunt) on the J1 connector.

where does the jumper go from and to --J1 and what?

if im going to use 2 GRINCH boards would be easiest to supply power to both J2 connectors (one on each board) from a single external power supply?

also will a power supply from an parted out 7 yr old computer be able to supply ample power?

thanks

scott

rlilly
02-14-2008, 12:38 AM
where does the jumper go from and to --J1 and what?

if im going to use 2 GRINCH boards would be easiest to supply power to both J2 connectors (one on each board) from a single external power supply?

also will a power supply from an parted out 7 yr old computer be able to supply ample power?

thanks

scott

Scott,

If you power via the pin 1 of the IN RJ45, jumper(shunt) across the two terminals on J1. There are only two terminals at J1.

You could power each Grinch separately, if you choose, but 1 Grinch can be connected to the other via the OUT RJ45 and In RJ45. If you connect this way, the 5VDC powering one will be available at the other via pin 1(+5) and pin 3(GND) of the IN and OUT RJ45.

Look at me talking like an expert. I just finished and tested my two Grinches and #1 SSR just this evening. This was day one for first blink. "That was one small blink for man, but a giant blink for mankind!!"

As to the power supply of your old computer, I wouldn't know without more details, but my gut feel is that it would be plenty to power two Grinches and their associated SSR optos.

Muskogee Gene
02-14-2008, 12:44 AM

If I use the J2 connector will it pass thru the Out RJ45 or do I need to wire the boards parallel on their respective J2s?

rlilly
02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
MG,
Once you get power to 1 Grinch at J2, and you have additional Grinch(s) daisey-chained via the 1st Grinch's OUT RJ45 and the next Grinch IN RJ45, power will be at the next Grinch (via pin 1 and pin 3 of the cat 5 wire between the two). Also, the same power is available at the RJ45s that go to the SSR boards.

You build custom cable(s) only between the parallel port->Grinch and +5VDC->Grinch. You use 'off the shelf' straight through RJ45 cat 5 cable between the rest of the boards, i.e. additional Grinches and SSR boards.

rlilly
02-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I whipped up a Grinch cable schematic to address the Grinch parallel cable and power hookup.

rlilly
02-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Here is a version showing the daisey-chain connections.

ppohlman
02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Those are good diagrams. How about trying to get those on the WIKI.

Muskogee Gene
02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
MG,
Once you get power to 1 Grinch at J2, and you have additional Grinch(s) daisey-chained via the 1st Grinch's OUT RJ45 and the next Grinch IN RJ45, power will be at the next Grinch (via pin 1 and pin 3 of the cat 5 wire between the two). Also, the same power is available at the RJ45s that go to the SSR boards.

You build custom cable(s) only between the parallel port->Grinch and +5VDC->Grinch. You use 'off the shelf' straight through RJ45 cat 5 cable between the rest of the boards, i.e. additional Grinches and SSR boards.
Thank you so much. This clears this up for me perfectly. This put the last piece of the puzzle in place for me. I do appreciate the help from all of you.

Gene.

gizmo
02-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Thank you so much. This clears this up for me perfectly. This put the last piece of the puzzle in place for me. I do appreciate the help from all of you.

Gene.

rlilly,

ditto with the thank you!!!!!!!

I was going from memory with the J1/J2 locations adn thought they were 2 terminals at the same location (if that makes any sense).

now all i need is the coop to take orders.

thanks again

scott

rlilly
02-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Here is a version showing the daisey-chain connections.
I looked at the physical Grinch this evening and need to re-do the SSR portion. All the other stuff is ok. Sorry, it'll have to wait until next week.

rlilly
02-15-2008, 12:45 AM
MG, Scott,

Glad it helped.

MG, your tag is the best!

BL

klanger
02-15-2008, 02:44 AM
I looked at the physical Grinch this evening and need to re-do the SSR portion. All the other stuff is ok. Sorry, it'll have to wait until next week.

Also look at the in and out RJ45's. You have them swapped about on your drawing.

rlilly
02-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Also look at the in and out RJ45's. You have them swapped about on your drawing.

Yup, I noted that this morning as well.

However, it's become mute with RavingLunatic's additions to the wiki yesterday. He did a great job with both the general and constuction sections. That addition fills the hole that I was attempting to fill that has generated numerous questions in several threads.

I think most newbies will start with the Grinch (as I have) and go from there. It's good to have a more thorough explanation that addresses the inevitable questions that develop from people just getting started in this great hobby.

wbuehler
02-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I like the diagrams

Bill