PDA

View Full Version : Request: Plugin to control Alienware laptop LED's

Nofew
01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Some laptops have pretty, shiny, magical LED's on them. Alienware's especially flashy these days. The following video shows what happens when you use Winamp with a certain visualizer enabled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5cSRzZE6Q8

Obviously that's pretty sweet looking, but after a few seconds you can see that the lights don't really sync to anything in particular. It eventually just looks like one big uninteresting mess of flashing color.

I'd like to control the LED's with Vixen. The protocol's well-documented (as far as I can tell). There's some functions in a DLL that you call to change the LED's. They seem to support a good level of dimming, easily enough to make an interesting show if they flashed in a more intelligent pattern.

There's one big problem stopping me from doing this: I don't know C#, and I can't grasp it. The only language I can handle is C, and that's not even remotely similar to C#. I know this is probably a big ask, but is there anyone out there who'd be kind enough write the plugin for me?

From what I can gleam of it it shouldn't take more than a day or two to write. The DLL's functions are somewhat similar to nCurses, so having experience there would make this a breeze. I can supply the documentation and the hardware addresses needed to control the lights, but I don't feel comfortable sticking them up on a public forum. I don't know how happy Dell would be about me distributing it "in mass".