PDA

View Full Version : Singing face project

owillingham
01-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forums, I've had a quick look through and can't see any similar thread so thought I'd ask a bit of advice.

I'm planning on building four dmx controlled singing faces, using marine ply board, with holes drilled through for individual led's, then soldering the leds together with resistors and grouping them in panterns and connecting them to different channels of a dmx controller. I have a few 27 channel dmx control pcb's and was planning on mounting a weatherproof enclosure on the back of each board, with the dmx contoller and a psu in each one, so I have a single power lead I have to plug in, and just link the faces with dmx cable. It means I could have pretty orginal looking faces that are easily moved about or stored. With the extra channels available on the controllers, I could incorporate some accessories, such as santa hats for xmas, or fangs for halloween that can be used when required, or perhaps instead of using extra channels, just hard wire a switch on the back to include the fangs on the mouth patterns which can be switched off after halloween, and at xmas turn a switch on the back to include a hat on the face outline channel.

I was planning on buying the leds and resistors through ali express, and was wondering if anyone had used any leds in particular that they would recomend or sudgest I should avoid. Also any advice on the grouping of the leds and resistors, obviously I would use the data sheets for the leds to find the optimum current and then rating the resistor accordingly, but is it worth putting a few leds in series on one resistor, or ensuring each led has its own?

Any advice from someone more experienced in this sort of thing before I start would be gratefuly appreciated.

gassy
01-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Would this help you get started?
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?21724-A-different-way-to-light-HolidayCoro-Singing-faces&highlight=wiring+leds

timon
01-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Plywood is going to make for a heavy face. Check out (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?21724-A-different-way-to-light-HolidayCoro-Singing-faces&highlight=singing+faces) what I'm doing using coro to make the faces not only light but very thin. Being very thin allows for easy hanging on walls or any place else you want to put them.

I'm also working on a thin controller to drive them so they are self contained other than power and sill stay very thin. The controller will eithe take DMX or WS2811 protocol. I'm not sure which yet but I have both on the drawing board.

Now that we're through Christmas I can get back to that project and finish up the controller.

owillingham
01-02-2013, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, I like the idea of coro, though not sure where i'd get it from locally. For my particular project coro would be too delicate, as I want to mount the faces vertically on my pitched roof, I have a dorma bungalow so mounting the faces on the roof is my only option, but I want to angle them vertically so they can be seen. I would just use some solar panel roof hooks to attach it to the roof and to support some timber braces to hold them in place. I should think marine ply would be suitable to withstand the wind.

owillingham
01-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Thanks gassy, gives me a great source for the leds.

Thanks Timon, I have just read your project, looks just like what I want to do, I will try the coro if my faces work out so I can make some wall hanging decorations too, I expect to have a lot of leds leftover! Please post pictures of the finished article when you have installed the controller etc, I'd love to see it.

Jack Stevens
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Corogated plastic (coroplast or coro for short) stands up well for what you want to do. I've had a "Tune To" sign from HolidayCoro.com that I've used for the last 3 years for Halloween and Christmas; it still looks almost brand new.

You can get small pieces of coro from your local building supply store, in their sign "department." Some sign companies will sell you larger pieces, or you can pick them up off eBay as well.

If the pre-formed faces they have will suffice, you might want to check out what HolidayCoro.com has. Drilling those holes cleanly can get to be quite tedious.

Xenia
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
This is a picture of my snowflakes made using coro and 1x3's. When not in use they close for storage. I think I have some closer pics at home but I am at work now.