PDA

View Full Version : Lighted Window Frames

MichiganLights
12-31-2012, 06:02 PM
looking for ideas!

I want to DIY or build lighted frames to fit my exterior windows. I'm thinking a rigid frame that will friction fit. My windows are brick surround so no screws or anchors.

I'm very handy with wood, metal and fiberglass so all options are on the table.

So I'm looking for a low cost design that can be used multiple years, easy to install, and easily stored.

dirknerkle
12-31-2012, 06:06 PM
I made some out of PVC pipe that hang on the shutters on either side of our windows. They've lasted 21 years and have been restrung many times. This may be some help...

http://www.diychristmas.org/dirknerkle/howto-window_frames.html

brew95
12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
I bought some window screen frame from Home Depot and made frames for each window, then ziptied the lights to them. If I remember correctly it cost about $1 per foot. I'll try to take some photos when I take them down this weekend.

MichiganLights
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
I have an artistic question. Looking for examples and opinions.

I have casement windows, 2 side by side. Some also have a 1/2 round arch on top.

Should I light/frame just the perimeter, each individual window pane and 1/2 round, all out and duplicate the muntin bars, or something else?

dirknerkle
01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I have an artistic question. Looking for examples and opinions.

I have casement windows, 2 side by side. Some also have a 1/2 round arch on top.

Should I light/frame just the perimeter, each individual window pane and 1/2 round, all out and duplicate the muntin bars, or something else?

Like this?
http://www.diychristmas.org/dirknerkle/pictures/frames/arch1.JPG

And the frame that fits it:
http://www.diychristmas.org/dirknerkle/pictures/frames/arch2.JPG

MichiganLights
01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Like this?
http://www.diychristmas.org/dirknerkle/pictures/frames/arch1.JPG

And the frame that fits it:
http://www.diychristmas.org/dirknerkle/pictures/frames/arch2.JPG

Exactly. What size pipe are you using? How rigid is it? Is it temperature sensitive? How does it handle wind?

I'm brain storming and I'm looking for something rigid to friction fit inside the brick soldier coarse. My wreaths blow around sometimes so I'm concerned about any light frame doing the same.

Originally I was thinking aluminum extrusion or some sort of hardwood frame. But the cost is making me re-think my plans.

I might have a PVC idea. Might be time to mock something up.

lightman
01-05-2013, 06:14 PM
How about something like this?

PVC bent around inside of curve affixed with regular fittings. Minis are attached with zip ties.

Regards,
Lightman.

dirknerkle
01-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Exactly. What size pipe are you using? How rigid is it? Is it temperature sensitive? How does it handle wind?

I'm brain storming and I'm looking for something rigid to friction fit inside the brick soldier coarse. My wreaths blow around sometimes so I'm concerned about any light frame doing the same.

Originally I was thinking aluminum extrusion or some sort of hardwood frame. But the cost is making me re-think my plans.
Of
I might have a PVC idea. Might be time to mock something up.
Lightman's pictures look just like what you need. The frames I made were out of 3/4" PVC, I made them about 21 years ago. Mine are fastened to wood trim around the windows with pipe clamps, which wouldn't work for you. Friction fit would probably work, but you could also add a couple strips of industrial Velcro that wouldn't be visible at all and would do a good job of securing them.

szaske
01-05-2013, 09:32 PM
I'd love to see these pictures. I want to frame a few windows and want something smaller than PVC to create the frames. Screen frames sounds like a nice approach but perhaps a bit flimsy. Are they stiff/tough enough?

Livermore-Dad
01-05-2013, 11:30 PM
1-1/2 sreen frame base, posted pictures..

Home depot, order only (in my location)

100065822 (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BuildLinkToHomeDepot?linktype=product&id=100065822&cm_mmc=hd_email-_-PP_OMS_Merch_Ship_Conf-_-_PP_OMS_Merch_Ship_Conf-_-pip_100065822__W173740237)
1-1/2 in. Porch Screening System Base Strip

Tory

timon
01-05-2013, 11:40 PM
I used PVC that friction fits around my windows with the lights mounted on that. Love how easy it went together and how well it worked. I did use 4 finish nails near each corner on the side just to make sure it didn't pop off in a high wind. I'll post a close up picture when I take them down tomorrow.

On my vinyl windows that they won't friction fit around I used stick on tie-wraps.

For me I'll vote for PVC frames any day.

lightman
01-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Lightman's pictures look just like what you need. The frames I made were out of 3/4" PVC, I made them about 21 years ago. Mine are fastened to wood trim around the windows with pipe clamps, which wouldn't work for you. Friction fit would probably work, but you could also add a couple strips of industrial Velcro that wouldn't be visible at all and would do a good job of securing them.

I believe you were the one that gave me the idea in the first place Dirk!...LOL :biggrin:

I added the pressure clamps for security. Like Timon said, they stay in place with friction.

Regards,
Lightman

alanp
01-06-2013, 12:58 AM
I use 1" PVC pipe and split it down the middle with a table saw, this forms a cavity where I then lay the lights in it and cover the whole thing up with packing tape.

I have used this for 5 years now and they are still doing great. One other tip, for doing around the window, get the measurement you need and make the thing with 90 degree elbows and glue the whole thing together after it dries take that to the table saw and split down the middle.

MichiganLights
01-06-2013, 07:29 PM
I use 1" PVC pipe and split it down the middle with a table saw, this forms a cavity where I then lay the lights in it and cover the whole thing up with packing tape.
I was thinking something very similar. I would like the lights to all align. I'm looking at three channels/colors per frame.

Did you use schedule 40 PVC? Did the slot you cut affect the rigidity? Do you have pictures?

alanp
01-07-2013, 12:46 AM
I did use schedule 40, if your going to put three colors in there, you will want to experiment with the size of the pipe.

Yes, when we cut it in half it became weaker, but nothing we couldn't work with, ours is attached to the house with 1/2 conduit straps bent into a "Z" shape, you just drop the frame into the brackets and your done.

I will see if I can get some pictures for you tomorrow.

dclark6623
01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
I made mine out of 1/2" pvc. They look just like dirknerkle's. They fit tight inside the brick window casing. I have used them for 3 years now. They cut my set up time drastically. You will need to think about storage though.

alanp
01-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Here is a couple of pictures around a window and a straight piece used around the garage door.

sonic777
01-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Nice idea on the split pvc and packing tape, I couldn't imagine it until you posted the pictures, I like it and might use that next year.

alanp
01-08-2013, 11:09 PM
This was our 4th season and everyone of them are holding up very well

dclark6623
01-09-2013, 10:56 AM
The split pvc looks better than using ty-raps to hold on to the pvc. It's much neater looking. I am going to change mine. Thanks for posting pics. Also, the lights are protected from being broken in storage. I have had problems with breaking a few bulbs every year and having to look for them after plugging everything in.

MichiganLights
01-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Here is a couple of pictures around a window and a straight piece used around the garage door.

Very Nice! Nice clean arrangement :thup: