PDA

View Full Version : Image upload sizes

P. Short
01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Any chance of increasing the upload image size limits from the current 640x480 to perhaps 800x600? Right now the image of my proposed schematic for the USB-DMX converter is 588x600.

--

Phil

P.S. Another request - is it possible to allow attachments on PMs?

--

Phil

Macrosill
01-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Phil,
Is the 1mb size limit still ok or is your schematic larger than that as well? Also what type of file was it?

Attachments in PMs, hmm, I will have to look into that.

edit: It appears as attachments in PMs is not directly supported by vBulletin at this time. I would have to install a hack to get that user option. The installation is not difficult but if we start installing hacks and making changes like that we run into 2 issues. The 1st and most important is that the vBulletin support staff will not support a bb that has been modified. This would be a major problem should something go wrong and we need the vBulletin support in the future. The second issue is we would loose all the hacks when we upgraded software or would not be able to upgrade to the installed hacks. This may not sound like a big deal now but think about what happened over at CC. It desperately needed an upgrade and never got it. Now imagine that was this place in 5 or 10 years. We would be at a huge disadvantage due to not having the ability to upgrade and have to start all over. For those reasons I am strongly against and major hacks or modifications to the software. For the Photo Album, should that idea get enough interest I am looking into a stand alone piece of software that would not effect the vBulletin software. I think this is the safest direction to head in the future. While the 14 different hacks and mods were nice in the old forum we were not able to upgrade due to them and that was only after 9 months. I hope we are here for decades to come.

I know that has gotten more involved than a simple reasonable request but I just wanted the reasoning to be known. That was not directed at Phil personally, it was an FYI for the entire community and does not mean I am not open to further suggestions to gain functionality and convenience.

P. Short
01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
The file in question is a GIF image weighing in at around 15KB.

--

Phil

RavingLunatic
01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Brian,

Phil isn't concerned about the file size as much as the image size. The current width&height are limited as well as the file size.

Currently images are limited to 640x480 and Phil needs something larger for his schematic image.

RL

Ronp
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
la la la lala laaaaaaaaa

kmc123
02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
la - la - la - laaaaaaaa:)

kostyun
02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Its dominic the donkey, the italian christmas donkey.

On a note - 640x480 is kinda small.

Macrosill
02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
All attachments have a size limit of 1 mb. All image files have the 1 mb limit as well as 1280x960 file size. This is double what it was. Should this not be enough let me know.

kostyun
02-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeap! That should be plenty big enough!! (As bill gates says, 640k should be enough for everyone)