PDA

View Full Version : Pictures, videos and other attachments

kychristmas
12-30-2012, 11:27 AM
There seems to be a gradual increase in the use of external links rather than using the attachment and video embedding tools that are available here. It's very frustrating to be a reading a thread that you are interested in, only to discover that the pertinent pictures and files are no longer available because the member no longer has their website or their photo sharing account. Another problem is my work blocks most photo sharing sites and im sure others do as well. This site is a knowledge base and without the photos and attachments, many threads become useless. I realize it's easier to do a link so you don't have to resize the image, but we need to try and think about the experience.

Regarding videos, please use the the video embedding tools available. This is the filmstrip icons on the editor. It's just much nicer experience to view videos in the sharing thread rather than linking out to you tube or video. One nice thing is hat you will immediately know whether or not your video is valid.

I realize there are places where it makes sense to use external links, but generally I believe it's better to use the file upload and attachment features available.

Kelly

Materdaddy
12-30-2012, 01:01 PM
There seems to be a gradual increase in the use of external links rather than using the attachment and video embedding tools that are available here. It's very frustrating to be a reading a thread that you are interested in, only to discover that the pertinent pictures and files are no longer available because the member no longer has their website or their photo sharing account. Another problem is my work blocks most photo sharing sites and im sure others do as well. This site is a knowledge base and without the photos and attachments, many threads become useless. I realize it's easier to do a link so you don't have to resize the image, but we need to try and think about the experience.

Regarding videos, please use the the video embedding tools available. This is the filmstrip icons on the editor. It's just much nicer experience to view videos in the sharing thread rather than linking out to you tube or video. One nice thing is hat you will immediately know whether or not your video is valid.

I realize there are places where it makes sense to use external links, but generally I believe it's better to use the file upload and attachment features available.

Kelly

Out of curiosity, does your work block photobucket? When I've posted my threads even if I link to my website, I upload the pictures to photobucket for posts here because I assume more permanence with them than me (I'm always making changes on my server because that's another part of my tinkering). I never use the attachment features because in the past they've been poorly implemented and I can't get the pictures inline, only in the little "attachment box" which I've never liked. I guess with the new lightbox viewing of the pictures, it's much better so I'll try using it again for future posts.

kychristmas
12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes. My work network blocks photobucket. The point is that if the photo is part of the content, then IMO they should remain together. This is not a global thing. Obviously if the post is about something you are sharing on your website, then link to it.

djulien
12-30-2012, 04:40 PM
There seems to be a gradual increase in the use of external links rather than using the attachment and video embedding tools that are available here. It's very frustrating to be a reading a thread that you are interested in, only to discover that the pertinent pictures and files are no longer available because the member no longer has their website or their photo sharing account.

BTW, this can also happen with content on DIYC as well, so it is helpful to have personal backups off-site. For example, most of my attachments to posts on this site prior to the ISP change a while back were lost, and I don't really have time to go back to find and re-upload them.

An alternative would be to do both. For major items now I try to attach it (if it's not too big), and also provide an external link in case something happens to the DIYC attachment.

don

CDN_Diesel
01-02-2013, 02:48 AM
I try to upload my pictures, as for the video, I thought a link rather than the video would be better in certain instances. I will embed the videos from now on. No biggie. :)

kingofkya
01-02-2013, 03:33 AM
When i do its because of file size limitations. /too lazy to resize pictures. Does vbullatin have a autmoatc picture resizer that would help i think.( especially a js one)