PDA

View Full Version : Post editing

Macrosill
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
The reason the edit feature is currently limited and not edited is because on the last forum we had a few instances were heated discussions started and then all of a sudden the offending posts were edited to make the other party look less than honest. Now if everyone is okay with taking that chance again then we can make it infinitely editable. Just keep in mind there may be an instance were you would like someone to look at something and take corrective action but by the time the admin or mod has time to look at it the offending post has been wiped clean and now you look like the offender. The next version of vBulletin may have a more customizable edit feature. For now I think it is best to limit the edit time. Now 1 hour may be short and we can lengthen it but that is a discussion that should be had by the board as a group.

Jeff Millard
01-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Brian,
As usual... I have an opinion and a suggestion:rolleyes:

/rant on

My opinion: I can't stand not being able to indefinately edit my posts. It literally enrages me that my posts are locked due to the offensive behavior of a few morons that can't contain their bad attitudes, yet are too weak to leave the vomit they spew in place when they're called out by anyone in authority. It's on the top ten list for why I only post a few times a month on PC, and I've distanced myself from participating in the LOR forum.

My suggestion: If anyone in this forum is the victim of this vomit that the few spew... QUOTE IT! and immediately report it, then they can't edit it away. It will be right there for the mods to see. And if you're a member that stumbles in to see it happening, QUOTE IT TOO! One instance of it can be challenged, as anyone can create a post that looks like an actual quote. Several of them pretty much prove the post. So if you see something offensive here (IN A CHRISTMAS FORUM) band together and make it known, call them out for their behavior.

The rest of us shouldn't be made to have limiting rules due to a few jerks that didn't learn respect from Mommy and Daddy (if they even know who he is) I go back over old posts and fix bad links or info that isn't correct whenever I'm looking for stuff. I don't waste my time if I have to send a PM to someone to doctor up something I should be able to do myself. PC is so gummed up with bad links it's a waste of time searching anything useful.

/rant off

Jeff

Edit: Wow, in the two minutes it took for this post, we got 3 votes for locking threads after time... too bad...

Macrosill
01-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Well the poll is up and it is now in your hands. We will go the way the poll goes. So rally on, call your friends and family,, notify your co-workers, the more votes the better.

I am not voting unless there is a tie. I doubt that will happen but you never know. Maybe I am thinking into this too much.

FireGod
01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I am not voting unless there is a tie.

Actually I think you should vote, everyone is entitled to an opinion and you have one so I think you should use it.

Trepidati0n
01-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Brian,

Doesn't VB support post edit logging that allows admins to see the posts contents pre/post edit? While this might be a little bit more bloat on the DB, the absolute proof of "stealth edits" by offending parties would not be possible to hide...at all.

Macrosill
01-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Brian,

Doesn't VB support post edit logging that allows admins to see the posts contents pre/post edit? While this might be a little bit more bloat on the DB, the absolute proof of "stealth edits" by offending parties would not be possible to hide...at all.

I am not aware of that capability. I know we can see if someone edits it but not sure we can view the edited text.

alwysrit2
01-27-2008, 11:59 PM
This isn't something I would normally post in, but I voted for indefinitely for a different reason than the ones above. The Co-Op threads get very large and having a post, usually the first one that gets updated with the status is very helpful and easier to use than searching through pages of 'I will take 2...I mean 4...uh, 6...yeah...8! just kidding, 10. ... $.02
-Don

daviddth
01-28-2008, 03:16 AM
Don, thats the reason I voted for indefinate - the buy/sell, or coop pages, and a lesser extent the updating of files for new firmware, link updates etc. I inititlly thought 24 to 48hrs would be enough, but now I disagree and think if it is locked, make it months down the track, and at that stage that thread is probably dead & rarely used anyway (but not always)

grages
01-28-2008, 08:33 AM
I have been on the other side of the coin before also where someone quoted me and edited the quote to make me look bad. Fortunately the forum was set to tell folks when you edited a post and since I hadn't the offender was caught red handed. But I still vote to allow indefinite edits, for what its worth.

rrowan
01-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Folks,

While I have not been on this site for very long. I have been a member of a model train site for years. For the most part I see people are very responsible for what they do on a site. So to limit what people can do is not normally a good thing. I will say there are times when folks will type or delete stuff out of angry but that is normally rare. So I voted for indefinite edits. I would vote for limit delete function. To me delete is the worst problem for following a thread.

Rick R.

ppohlman
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Personally, I would like to be able to edit my posts. After I submit a post, I will inevitably find mistakes in what I have written and want to go back and correct them. I do think, however, the post should mention something about it being edited. That way people will know when something has been edited. I do not think you should be able to delete posts altogether.

Macrosill
01-28-2008, 10:38 PM
After 24 hours the vote is about 85% for infinite editing. So I am going to let this poll run but change the edit to infinite. Should the vote take a U-Turn, which I doubt with those numbers, I will make the appropriate adjustments.

Edit in good health, LOL.

blurp
01-28-2008, 11:09 PM
After 24 hours the vote is about 85% for infinite editing. So I am going to let this poll run but change the edit to infinite. Should the vote take a U-Turn, which I doubt with those numbers, I will make the appropriate adjustments.

Edit in good health, LOL.

You are a very wise man. I like the way you run your forum.

Thanks,

Bradley