PDA

View Full Version : I am unable to edit my posts

FireGod
01-27-2008, 12:36 AM
The title sez it all

daviddth
01-27-2008, 12:43 AM
I think its a time issue. I can edit mine for about an hour, but after that they are unable to be edited. Mods can edit the posts tho (I believe)

FireGod
01-27-2008, 12:55 AM
I am unable to edit any post in this thread http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2236

daviddth
01-27-2008, 02:49 AM
Yep most are older than 1 hr.. actually they all are. Maybe Brian can change the editing ability to a longer timeframe in that forum or for those in the developers group? It is possible that the editing ability in that forum is different - I dony have access so I can check to see if the 1hr limit applies, sorry

Looking up it's been 2hrs since I posted my reply above and I no longer can edit it

kostyun
01-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Its currently set to 1hr. (grr)

FireGod
01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I think it should be infinite, no time limit. I was planning to go back and delete attachments that no longer should be available to anyone (past revisions of my current board or other obsolete information) but I can not do that like I could in the previous forum.

Macrosill
01-27-2008, 02:07 PM
The reason the edit feature is currently limited and not edited is because on the last forum we had a few instances were heated discussions started and then all of a sudden the offending posts were edited to make the other party look less than honest. Now if everyone is okay with taking that chance again then we can make it infinitely editable. Just keep in mind there may be an instance were you would like someone to look at something and take corrective action but by the time the admin or mod has time to look at it the offending post has been wiped clean and now you look like the offender. The next version of vBulletin may have a more customizable edit feature. For now I think it is best to limit the edit time. Now 1 hour may be short and we can lengthen it but that is a discussion that should be had by the board as a group.

daviddth
01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
I believe 24hrs to 48rhs would be a better time. Yes you may still get the issues that happened in the past, but for the majority of us normal users being able to fix a comment, link etc is a handy feature that we should not have to bother the mods to do.

WakeFan
01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Is there a way to track the edits. If you are able to somehow see what was changed behind the scenes, then that would be nice. Proberly not an option, but just asking.

I think being able to edit a post made a month or two ago is very valuable, especially with coops.

Josh
01-27-2008, 08:05 PM
it should not be a big deal, if we get heated discussions, mods or even any conscerned party can pm the offending party, and if that does not fix it, then farther action should be taken. But everyone also needs to remember it IS the internet, so take things with a grain of salt... who cares what they say, unlike most places, i cant really say you will never meet since we try to meet and have PLUS's etc. But i do not see the need to limit editable conted on a time frame just so someone can't backpedle... if it was me, id just blame it on a friend if that were the case lol

FireGod
01-27-2008, 08:52 PM
I think it should be infinite, no time limit. I was planning to go back and delete attachments that no longer should be available to anyone (past revisions of my current board or other obsolete information) but I can not do that like I could in the previous forum.

I would like the authorization to control any file attachments with technical content that I have posted. After all it is my technical information. If I do not want the fourm members using an old version of a BOM or .HEX file I would like to avoid members using the wrong or old and out dated information.

I also make mistakes that I see the next time I log on which could be a day or a week. For example, I ststed that a file attachment was a JPG when it was actually a PDF. I know it is a small thing but I make lots of mistakes.

If infinite editing is not an option, I'll host my own file attachments on my web space so if I don't want it used, it will just be a broken link. That would work for me, but not the best option. I guess I'll have to get a Moderator to edit posts as I need them edited.

I'm sure we will work this out and I am flexible as long as I know where it is heading :-)

Macrosill
01-27-2008, 09:00 PM
This issue is still being thought out and a suitable median is trying to be determined.

Ronp
01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Isnt it once you make a post only you or a mod can change it?? So you telling me
a mod changed a post to make someone look bad?

Macrosill
01-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Isnt it once you make a post only you or a mod can change it?? So you telling me
a mod changed a post to make someone look bad?

It is now however it was not that way on the old forum. But it was a mod that did the editing of his own post.