PDA

View Full Version : I need you to test

angus40
12-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Could some one with 3k channels or higher drop a nutcracker effect of 100- 150 rgb channels on rgb then delte about 50 channels worth of that data .

Please let me know your results in latency.

I need to verify my pc performance .

Thanks
Richard

Lionking_Tx
12-18-2012, 08:04 PM
It's not your PC - I have the same problem.
So more effects you use, so slower the response will be - especially the delete takes *a while*.

I think we just fill up the DB with more data than it was intended for (those darn users strike again :) ), so the update of the tables will take a long time.

I will send Joe my DB later to verify - have to go through it first to see if I am not causing unnecessary work by having "dead" channels or already deleted Segments in it.

angus40
12-18-2012, 08:06 PM
this lagg is killing me , it will take a week to create 1 effect .

I am doing a clean install of hls , not am update . I may have caused some of this issue by rolling hls back 1 version then updating to the latest .

n_gifford
12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I haven't played with HLS since around version 7 or so, but I'd be happy to do some testing later. Back then, on a 2.3ghz dual core, 4gb DDR3 with SSD running Ubuntu, it would take around 20-30 seconds if I remember correctly. My Win7 64bit, Core i5 with 8gb DDR3 would take about 10-15 seconds.

JHinkle
12-18-2012, 08:11 PM
this lagg is killing me , it will take a week to create 1 effect .

I am doing a clean install of hls , not am update . I may have caused some of this issue by rolling hls back 1 version then updating to the latest .

Your previous post was on deleting effects.

This post is on creating effects.

What are you attempting to do?

I have requested an HLS file from someone having this issue so I can observe it - have not received one yet.

Click SAVE in version 10T and then send me the HLS file ... please zip it to reduce its size.

Once I have your file - I can then attempt to duplicate what your are experiencing.

Joe

Lionking_Tx
12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey, one delete yesterday locked up HLS for around 40 min (!)

I may be wrong, but I really don't think you caused a problem - I really think we just "overwhelm" the database with the amount of data effects create.

Btw, you can switch to a different task (e.g. open a webbrowser) and you will see your PC runs just fine.
Also you will notice that it gets slower so more effects you use...I am one of the stubborn users that still use the grid for certain elements (e.g. my arches) and after the second or third effect I dropped I noticed the lag to build up.

Lionking_Tx
12-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Your previous post was on deleting effects.

This post is on creating effects.

What are you attempting to do?

I have requested an HLS file from someone having this issue so I can observe it - have not received one yet.

Click SAVE in version 10T and then send me the HLS file ... please zip it to reduce its size.

Once I have your file - I can then attempt to duplicate what your are experiencing.

Joe

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I'm working on it :)

Can send it now, but I wanted to look for errors on my side first (e.g. maybe forgot to delete a channel when converted to pixel plane and so on....) don't want to cause you more work than needed.

Btw, the delete (at least for me) is really slow - adding also takes long, but it's still somewhat acceptable. Scrolling on the grid (left, right, up, down) is also noticeable slower

angus40
12-18-2012, 08:22 PM
The delete only got slow for me after i regressed hls , this is why i fear i may have caused this . rather than request Joe to chase ghosts i would attempt to get other users feed back first .

Just my crazy way of looking at this .

because this lagg is like i have not seen since Doom .

JHinkle
12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Once I get one of your BIG sequences - I will run tests.

I had compiled my HUGE database implementation based on a commercial program I have. It is based on multiple users having access to the database at the same time so every write to the database actually flushes buffers to disk.

THIS WILL show down writes --- in my commercial application, I can't afford to loose a record so the addition performance hit is acceptable.

I will look at recompiling my Huge database implementation to SINGLE user - which will allow windows to cashe record write - only going to disk when the cashe is full. It is faster - but if you experience a failure - you lose what is in the cashe - since it never made it to disk.

The best B-Tree type database performance is obtained when records are added in a random fashion relative to its primary key.

This application is slanted towards non-optimal - since effects are added as they are created with a 64 bit guid being used as an identifier (primary key). These guids are sequential in nature - so records are NOT added randomly - but linear.

Testing will tell all.

Joe

Lionking_Tx
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Oooops... I may have corrupted my DB - ran defrag (remove unused effects) and got an error...however, it completed.

Btw, gotten pretty big

angus40
12-18-2012, 08:41 PM
A clean install of Hls has cured my latency . Thanks again Joe for your wise suggestions :)

Greatly appreciated

Richard

Lionking_Tx
12-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Joe, I saved and reloaded the sequence, so DB seems to be fine - which files do you need ? Just the *.hls, or the Database and index file too ?

JHinkle
12-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Joe, I saved and reloaded the sequence, so DB seems to be fine - which files do you need ? Just the *.hls, or the Database and index file too ?

Zip the HLS file AFTER you have clicked SAVE using version 10T.

Thanks.

Joe

Lionking_Tx
12-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Oooops...used 10S - me bad