PDA

View Full Version : Performance issues with HLS

Lionking_Tx
12-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Joe,

I just ran the test of a new song and the delay was just terrible when playing it back direct through HLS - the E68x controllers were sorta OK (they had a small lag) but the Entec USB dongle missed complete frames.
When I compiled the data for show and ran the compiled data, it worked fine, however the delay between end of the song and start of it was around 1 minute (if not longer) and there was no output at all during this time.

My show PC is not the fastest (2.3 ghz dual core / 4GB) but should be more than capable putting a few packets on the wire while having lunch with friends.
I see that you compile the data every time the playlist is started/repeated - is that really necessary or do I do something wrong ?

Btw, I'm trying to run 27 universes (almost maxed out) utilizing Nutcracker effects *very* heavily

Side note:
I converted the mega tree and roof grid to pixel planes, however kept smaller objects like the driveway arches as "normal" channels. Loading the sequence into HLS on an I7 quad core takes around 10 minutes with the CPU cores "being bored" at around 15% load...memory usage only around 40% and HD usage completely negligible, so why is it taking so long ? Is HLS not taking advantage of available resources ?
Haven't timed the show PC, but I think it was around 25 to 30 minutes to load the sequence....

Any performance improvement appreciated - maybe just skip the compiling every time the schedule runs ?

JHinkle
12-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Version 10R is released.

All Songs within the Playlist are loaded at the start of the Show event to minimize delay between songs.

I have fully tested SHOw times, etc.

I don't have lights - so I need you to verify the Blinkies work as they should.

Please report back on your findings,

Joe

BrianJ
12-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Tried it twice here, two sequences in the show, on ``play show schedule`` both sequences load up but when the start time comes up nothing happens
* hls will no longer play anything. the initial channel count box hangs on ``working element 2`` and a show will not run manually as well

Lionking_Tx
12-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks Joe - Did a quick test with one song in a schedule, but I must have done something wrong as the schedule never started (Play now didn't work either).

Will do some more testing later tonight, for now I'm running the old sequence direct in HLS.

Edit:
One additional comment - When I selected "Play Schedule" and selected the playlist, it didn't show a start/end time, but seemed to load the sequence.

BrianJ
12-17-2012, 09:30 PM
PM'ed the files to you Joe :)

JHinkle
12-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Much thanks to BrianJ for his files.

My test files were to small to catch the error.

Version 10S is now available.

Please test and report back.

Thanks.

Joe

JHinkle
12-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Just spoke with Angus40 - version 10S is working to spec.

Joe

angus40
12-17-2012, 11:58 PM
In a word ~AWESOME~ Thank you Mr. Hinkle .

CDN_Diesel
12-18-2012, 12:11 AM
10S???? I just installed 10R this afternoon. WOW is all I can say! You are truly amazing Mr. Hinkle!

BrianJ
12-18-2012, 12:11 AM
That works like the cats pajamas :)

As always, Thanks

Lionking_Tx
12-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Great Job Joe!
Schedule was running when I came home, watched the complete song and no delay between end and restart of it.

Btw...Sorry for the late reply, but better late than never :wow:

jrock64
12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
10T nailed it.

Next to no pause between sequences.
Show is running great.

Joel