PDA

View Full Version : $3 3.5 foot wireframe snowman

daytimer
12-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I still have to get them welded up (don't have 220 in garage yet). But I had another idea and started on it. Parts look familiar? How about 4' tomato cages :) Perfect circles that just had to be cut from the vertical rods. Circles are 16", 14" and 12" diameter. The 3rd leg will likely go down the center to support buttons, nose and mouth. The other 2 legs make excellent supports and built-in stakes!
I love DIY! :sweet:

17067 17068

scootchu
12-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Clever, but where do you find tomato cages in December?

daytimer
12-16-2012, 01:18 PM

They were in stock at my local Menards.

buymyemu
12-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Nice Idea! I got some at Menards 2 weeks ago also. I do not weld, but I am mean with duct tape.

ErnieHorning
12-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I do not weld, but I am mean with duct tape.
Try JB Weld (http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld), it's like a super strong epoxy.

daytimer
12-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I have yet to learn to weld.... I thought about trying JBWeld just to try it. I like projects that can be adapted for different skill levels :)

paul5cimn
12-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a great idea for mini-trees also. Food for thought...

daytimer
12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a great idea for mini-trees also. Food for thought...

That's originally why I picked them up. I saw the other threads on using those for mini trees. In my yard, they won't be so mini :) I only have about 25' from the edge of the (shared) driveway to the other side of my yard and 15' from sidewalk to house....

trcons
12-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I believe those are galvanized, if you weld on them do it outside.

ggusta
12-16-2012, 10:48 PM

All of your DIY stores should still have them, we made tomato cage trees this month with ones at Lowes and HD, also saw them w-mart

daytimer
12-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Since I've never welded before, it will be a learning experience all around :)

crazy_carpenter
12-16-2012, 11:06 PM

+ one on that and use a fan if you can. Welding on galvanized metal and breathing the fumes will make you SICK! It is called zinc oxide poisoning or "welders flu". I know because I welded up my megatree star to some galvanized pipe the night before Thanksgiving and was sick the next day with a house full of people. Not fun.

Good safety note trcons and here is a link if you want more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

DaveJZ
12-16-2012, 11:30 PM
nice idea... can't wait to see with lights

daytimer
12-17-2012, 03:43 PM
+ one on that and use a fan if you can. Welding on galvanized metal and breathing the fumes will make you SICK! It is called zinc oxide poisoning or "welders flu". I know because I welded up my megatree star to some galvanized pipe the night before Thanksgiving and was sick the next day with a house full of people. Not fun.

Good safety note trcons and here is a link if you want more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Tangent - How can you weld with a fan AND shielding gas? Won't the fan blow away the gas?

somtng4u2c
12-17-2012, 04:05 PM
When I welded galvanised pipe I was told to drink milk before and after and have not got sick and also have plenty ventalation.
don't know for sure what the milk does or if it does anything

crazy_carpenter
12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Tangent - How can you weld with a fan AND shielding gas? Won't the fan blow away the gas?

I use flux core and no gas. I also avoid galvanized after that debacle.

dstokesdubois
12-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Most Lowes stores have wire frame tomato cages available but they are put on a skid, wrapped up and stored when out of season. Go to Lowes.com and order them for pickup at your local store. They will have them out and unwrapped before you get there.

buckanear
01-10-2013, 11:04 PM

The Home Depot

james

JasonPortwood
01-10-2013, 11:56 PM
When I welded galvanised pipe I was told to drink milk before and after and have not got sick and also have plenty ventalation.
don't know for sure what the milk does or if it does anything

http://www.ehow.com/about_5474409_side-effects-galvanized-steel-welding.html

Drinking milk can quicken the recovery process as calcium helps remove the zinc build-up from your body.

---

My first thought was from basic training... The drill sargents before chemical training let everyone drink as much milk as they wanted. Then once you got in the gas chamber and breathed that stuff (because they made you) you really vomited then. I didn't fall for it but I still threw up. It taught you one valuable lesson. Your protective mask works.

Jason