PDA

View Full Version : Sealed LEDs and GFCI

mattrob
12-15-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm planning switching to (sealed) LEDs for my mini trees next year and have been trying to find a way to get away from a metal frame. I've always had problems with my incandescent minis tripping the GFCI when it rains. Do the sealed LEDs have the same problems with the metal tomato cages?

pmcpa
12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
shouldn't... mine don't. But I also run on the powder coated tomato cages (red & green!)

LabRat
12-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I use metal cages and have never tripped the GFCI. It could be that I mount the cage atop of a piece of plastic conduit driven into the ground. The cage rides atop the pole like a bell. (Picture a thimble atop of a drinking straw). The entire cage is about 2" above the ground (at the start of the season) and 3-4" below snow level by the end. :)

rstehle
12-15-2012, 07:24 PM
I use metal cages and have never tripped the GFCI. It could be that I mount the cage atop of a piece of plastic conduit driven into the ground. The cage rides atop the pole like a bell. (Picture a thimble atop of a drinking straw). The entire cage is about 2" above the ground (at the start of the season) and 3-4" below snow level by the end. :)

That's cheating!! J/K

Sealed LED's 'should' eliminate the GFCI tripping issue.