PDA

View Full Version : Semi-editable Wiki Content

P. Short
01-26-2008, 01:45 AM
What is the opinion on adding content to the wiki that is not editable, or only editable with difficulty? I'm specifically talking about pdf files. While I myself have used PDF files for schematics (which are not all that editable anyway, since most of the software is proprietary), I've also noticed a few pdf files linked from the wiki for general documentation.

In my opinion that sort of thing sort of contradicts the whole idea of the wiki, since it puts a large chunks of documentation out there that can only be easily edited by the originator.

--

Phil

Macrosill
01-26-2008, 10:18 AM
We could look at this 2 ways. One is that everyone has been responsible thus far so there is no reason to secure anything. The other way is that some things are depended upon greately by the community at large and no locking those things is a big chance to take. We have had this discussion before and I think it is a debate that will continue to surface from time to time.

With that said there is nothing that says we have to use the Christmas Wiki as true wiki in the historical definition. I see no reason why we can not use the Christmas Wiki as a place to store easily editable parts lists and theories but also as an easy place to host some important documentation that can be easily found and viewed. Sort of like a viewable vault. This would of course be for specific documents and the Christmas Wiki as a whole.

I feel this is a topic for the community and not just mods. I would like to move this to a public forum but will not until I have the OP's permission as this is not a public forum and that may chnage the way some people present things. I like to error on the side of caution.

P. Short
01-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Moving it is fine.

--

Phil

Macrosill
01-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Topic moved.

Lets get some member input on this.

daviddth
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
OK when it comes to drawings like schemarics or layouts then I think a pdf is great. For general how-tos or parts lists, descriptions etc then I believe the plain text of the Wiki is better suited to this task.

There are a number of things that I keep thinking "I'll have to re-write that to make it better suited for learners as well as more experienced people" as I am one of the former (in many ways) myself. After chatting with various designers or just people with experience in the areas I have had questions answered that are not covered in the Wiki.

So I think if its written, allow others to put their input, of its drawing ir something like a history ets that there is no way it would ever need to be changed, then a PDF is fine

RavingLunatic
01-26-2008, 02:06 PM
A mixed format seems to best suit the current needs of this community.

There are some things that should not be editted by the masses. Such as schematics, pcb layouts and maybe even limited access to editing BOMs.

The reason I suggest BOMs is that it would be real easy for users to makes changes with "substitution" parts that haven't been fully researched.

As far as the rest of the content I don't think we have had too much problem with the wiki's being changed in a hap-hazard manor (unless you guys know something I don't).

On the 2 pages I started, I would say that 90% of the edits have been useful and constructive to the pages. The other 10% were simply an individuals preference on how the content looked, and since it didn't change the content I didn't worry about it.

So I would be in favor of maintianing the mixed format that we currently have.

The biggest issue with the non-editable material is that the owners of that material need to keep it up-to-date.

Just another 2 cents....

dmcole
01-26-2008, 02:36 PM
It's a little-known fact that Adobe Illustrator can open, edit and resave PDF files. While I realize that Illustrator is a proprietary -- and expensive -- application, the mere fact a file is in PDF does not mean that only the originator can alter it.

Also, there are a number of open-source alternatives to Illustrator -- Xara, Inkscape -- but I don't know whether they have the ability to open PDF files. I suspect they do, though.

\dmc

Macrosill
01-26-2008, 02:36 PM
So I would be in favor of maintianing the mixed format that we currently have.

We do not have a mixed format. It is all editable by registered users.

The biggest issue with the non-editable material is that the owners of that material need to keep it up-to-date.

Just another 2 cents....

That brings up a good point. I would say if we were to lock some things then they would have to be locked by us and not the individual, this way we can update it as necessary.

Wayne J
01-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I truely think that some info on the Wiki needs to be 'vaulted'. I would really hate ordering from a BOM and then find out it had been edited by making magic smoke signals from the pcb I just built.

I feel the schematics and BOM's really need protected. If possible maybe a 'moderated edit' feature. This way edits to the 'vaulted' info needs approved.

P. Short
01-26-2008, 10:20 PM
The entire history of the entry is easily accessed, so all you have to do is look at the history and judge the reliability of the people who made the most recent edits. If there is any question, either ask on the or use the most recent entry that you trust.

--

Phil