PDA

View Full Version : Simple Renard MPLAB Project Files

Mactayl
12-15-2012, 11:41 AM
In this post and the next post there are 8 pictures that show how to open a Simple Renard Project file and program a PIC, they will also be added to the Wiki under Simple Renard's.

Mactayl
12-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Hope this helps

RavingLunatic
12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Mac,

I'm not sure using the MPLAB project files is the way to go in sharing with others. The files are configured for your computer installation. I get all kinds of issues with not finding the files in the project because they are not in the same directory as your computer. I resolved some issues but couldn't work out all the issues.

However,

I was able to build a project in MPLAB and use the .asm file and had a successful build the first time.

Just thought I let you know.

RL

kychristmas
12-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Mac,

I'm not sure using the MPLAB project files is the way to go in sharing with others. The files are configured for your computer installation. I get all kinds of issues with not finding the files in the project because they are not in the same directory as your computer. I resolved some issues but couldn't work out all the issues.

However,

I was able to build a project in MPLAB and use the .asm file and had a successful build the first time.

RL

The locating of files is likely due to your directory structure rather than Mac having absolute references to his folder structure. References seem to be relative. I'm certain that my folder does not match Mac's (c:\christmaslights\Renard\RenardCode\SR32\...) and it compiles just fine. I know there were issues with my stuff 2 years ago when I had them in a folder structure that was much deeper and had spaces in the folder names. Might be what you are experiencing.

I do think that the Project Files in and of itself makes it more complicated and goes against the simple concept.

Mactayl
12-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Mac,

However,

RL

That's strange I have not seen that issue from one PC to another. To make things simpler I have started to combine the .inc files into the .asm file so it will be easier to use the MPASMWIN program for most of the new folks that are not familiar with MPLAB.

Thanks for the info, I will make things more user friendly.

kingofkya
12-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Didn't mplab have a issue if any folder in the path had a space in it?

Mactayl
12-15-2012, 06:32 PM

Not that I know of since I have quite a few with spaces in the path..

RavingLunatic
12-15-2012, 06:43 PM
The locating of files is likely due to your directory structure rather than Mac having absolute references to his folder structure. References seem to be relative. I'm certain that my folder does not match Mac's (c:\christmaslights\Renard\RenardCode\SR32\...) and it compiles just fine. I know there were issues with my stuff 2 years ago when I had them in a folder structure that was much deeper and had spaces in the folder names. Might be what you are experiencing.

I do think that the Project Files in and of itself makes it more complicated and goes against the simple concept.

The Project File is looking for the MPLAB executable files and link files, and is looking at where Mac installed his version of MPLAB. For example his installation was in C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPASM Suite\ and mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPASM Suite\.
Even after pointing to the right location, I'm getting errors that indicate the program is looking in areas I don't have or haven't figured out how to redirect the project.

But as I said, creating my own Project and building from there works fine. I just don't have a Simple Renard built to test with at the moment.

That is MPASMWIN that has that problem. The MPLAB IDE (which is what uses Projects) is much more forgiving.

Side Note: I personally use Projects for all the firmware that I use. I like seeing the code before building the files and I like being able to program without having to leave MPLAB IDE. However, I have found that trying to explain their use to people who were taught to use only the MPASMWIN direct method is an uphill battle. They just don't see the point of learning the Project way if the MPASMWIN/PICKIT2 method works for them already.

mrpackethead
12-15-2012, 09:34 PM
I'd also suggest that you mght like to use MPLABX rather than MPLAB, because its *much* *much* more forgiving and you can checkout a whole project out of a reposity, which keeps everything nicely in order...

jchuchla
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
i may be hijacking a thread here, but it seems like the right people are here and this is the right topic. I've never loaded a PIC before. I just got my first SR32 built, and just recieved my PicKit2. I downloaded MPLABX and the various compilers and got them installed. I downloaded the SR32 firmware from the wiki, and when i try to open the project, I select the project folder and hit open, and nothing happens, the open project dialog remains open just staring at me. I must be doing something wrong. I thought it might be a corrupt download so i tried again to no avail.

Mactayl
01-05-2013, 02:51 PM
i may be hijacking a thread here, but it seems like the right people are here and this is the right topic. I've never loaded a PIC before. I just got my first SR32 built, and just recieved my PicKit2. I downloaded MPLABX and the various compilers and got them installed. I downloaded the SR32 firmware from the wiki, and when i try to open the project, I select the project folder and hit open, and nothing happens, the open project dialog remains open just staring at me. I must be doing something wrong. I thought it might be a corrupt download so i tried again to no avail.

Did you download MPLAB IDE v8.8x and install it.. the files I provided are for MPLAB IDE 8.8x not for MPLABX. the latest version of MPLAB is v8.88 which can be found here
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469

jchuchla
01-05-2013, 02:53 PM
didn't realize it was a different application. I thought it was just the most current version. didn't know there were compatibility issues between them. I'll try dowloading 8.8 and i'll report back if there's any trouble.

jchuchla
01-05-2013, 03:38 PM
I think i got it loaded. I downloaded MPLAB 8, but i don't think i used it. I also downloaded the PICKit 2 software, and configured it to use the programmer to go feature. i loaded the hex into the PicKit 2 then went downstairs and loaded the SR32 with the board unpowered, and the PICKit 2 powered from an iPhone charger. i think it worked. I'm seeing the status light going between different brightness levels, though it does look like a random order, not the regular increments with regular timing like i expected to see. I can't really test it because i have no SSRs yet (still waiting on the GB).
Does it sound like i've got it loaded?

Mactayl
01-05-2013, 03:55 PM
I think i got it loaded. I downloaded MPLAB 8, but i don't think i used it. I also downloaded the PICKit 2 software, and configured it to use the programmer to go feature. i loaded the hex into the PicKit 2 then went downstairs and loaded the SR32 with the board unpowered, and the PICKit 2 powered from an iPhone charger. i think it worked. I'm seeing the status light going between different brightness levels, though it does look like a random order, not the regular increments with regular timing like i expected to see. I can't really test it because i have no SSRs yet (still waiting on the GB).
Does it sound like i've got it loaded?

Sounds good so far..and random is OK!:thup:

jchuchla
01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
thanks for helping me get going. This is a lot more confusing than other micro platforms i've used before like propeller and arduino. Way too many pieces of software to work with (or choose between)

Even though i think i got it loaded, I'm still playing around with this software so i understand the whole process and so that i could modify the parameters and such in the file.

I did figure out that MPLAB doesn't like UNC paths. I had to map a drive to the network location where i have the files before it'd even load it.

I can't get the project to build in MPLAB 8. it's giving me an error "couldn't locate build tool. Check tool locations." I'm trying to look thru the settings and such and i'm not seeing where i'd check or adjust the build tool location. For all i know the tool is just something else i need to download and can't find.

What i do know, is that i'm seeing our first snow of the season, my lawn just went from green to white in the last 10 minutes!

Mactayl
01-05-2013, 04:24 PM
thanks for helping me get going. This is a lot more confusing than other micro platforms i've used before like propeller and arduino. Way too many pieces of software to work with (or choose between)

Even though i think i got it loaded, I'm still playing around with this software so i understand the whole process and so that i could modify the parameters and such in the file.

I did figure out that MPLAB doesn't like UNC paths. I had to map a drive to the network location where i have the files before it'd even load it.

I can't get the project to build in MPLAB 8. it's giving me an error "couldn't locate build tool. Check tool locations." I'm trying to look thru the settings and such and i'm not seeing where i'd check or adjust the build tool location. For all i know the tool is just something else i need to download and can't find.

What i do know, is that i'm seeing our first snow of the season, my lawn just went from green to white in the last 10 minutes!

In the build area select language tool suite and store in tool location project, that should help

jchuchla
01-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Got it. I wouldn't have thought that was what it was called. It was the "c:\Program Files (x86)\" thing. changed it and now it builds, thanks!