PDA

View Full Version : QR Code Signs - Watch Video

lightman
12-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I am experimenting with using QR coded signs to help my guests access internet videos of my light show. I continually get requests for a link to my videos, and with a smartphone, this makes it easy for them.

QR codes are a fairly new graphic symbol that looks like a. bunch of black and white pixels. The pattern contains textual data that can be names,phone numbers, websites, etc.

You may have seen them in the newspaper for coupons.

The guest simply walks up to the sign and scans my QR code with their smartphone. It instantly takes them to my Vimeo link of light show videos.

Attached is my QR code that I placed on a sign out front of my house. Try it out.

Regards,
Lightman

n_gifford
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Nice! Earlier in the year, I planned to use QR codes for video and a link to our Facebook page, but ultimately decided not to. Very good way to point people in the right direction without a lengthy URL to enter.

lightman
12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Here is a photo of my "Tune To" sign and the new "Watch Video" QR code sign.

Regards,
Lightman

macebobo
12-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Innovator of the year goes to......Lightman!

Barnabybear
12-13-2012, 05:15 PM
I tried a QR code on my matrix (30x30 I think) earlier this year but it had to be very dim for the phone to read it and at that it was hit and miss, so I gave up.

boyelroy11
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Me too, me too! One on each of the tune-to banners.

mrpackethead
12-13-2012, 07:29 PM
If anyone went to a Radiohead concert this year, you'd have seen QR codes being used.. Lyrics of the songs where hidden in here.. You could see a sea of phones trying to capture them!

lightman
12-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Me too, me too! One on each of the tune-to banners.

Ha Ha! I had a feeling I wasn't the only one ...Kudos!

Regards,
Lightman

lightman
12-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Innovator of the year goes to......Lightman!

You are too kind.. . But it sounds like others are doing it too.

Thank you anyways..

Lightman

macebobo
12-14-2012, 01:01 AM
You are too kind.. . But it sounds like others are doing it too.

Thank you anyways..

Lightman

The award wasn't just for QR codes, but reindeer ears and IR and...and...and!

jcross
12-14-2012, 03:10 AM
I have found that the QR codes through Google seem to work on the majority of smart phones. We had issues with our fundraising efforts this year with QR's only working on iPhones or Blackberrys but not both. Androids and Windows phones seemed to work with all the generators I tried. In case anyone (who is printing them) runs into a similar issue.

I tried yours lightman and on an iPhone using QRReader it brought up your link in a text window but would not open directly in Safari. This may be normal (I have only linked to facebook) and even if not it is easy to copy/paste into Safari.

This is an excellent idea!

lightman
12-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I have found that the QR codes through Google seem to work on the majority of smart phones. We had issues with our fundraising efforts this year with QR's only working on iPhones or Blackberrys but not both. Androids and Windows phones seemed to work with all the generators I tried. In case anyone (who is printing them) runs into a similar issue.

I tried yours lightman and on an iPhone using QRReader it brought up your link in a text window but would not open directly in Safari. This may be normal (I have only linked to facebook) and even if not it is easy to copy/paste into Safari.

This is an excellent idea!

You bring up a very good point. Not all QR reader Apps are the same.

The older readers have issues with reading text combined with URL web links while newer ones are able to show the viewer both and then allow them to invoke the URL link.

I did add a text title to my QR code as I created it because i thought it would be cool. My app warned me that older readers may have an issue. I assumed (wrongly) that most have upgraded to the more enhanced readers. But even my neighbor's iPhone did the same as yours. I thought she was using an older app and she was going to check out some others. The Androids I test had no issues with QRDroid app.

Yes, you can cut and paste into Safari, but that is another step...and not what I intended.

I think I will change my code to just the URL link. It will make it more universal to all smartphone platforms.

Thanks for the heads up....

Lightman

dirknerkle
12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I used your QR code yesterday and connected to an NSA secure site through a back door. Two agents appeared at my office this morning and I'm having trouble typing this with my hands handcuffed behind my back.... The good part is that they said "We left the car running so it's nice and warm inside as we drive you to the big house..." I thought I overheard them mutter the word "gitmo" a couple times... not sure what that's all about...

J/K.... :biggrin:

boyelroy11
12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I never even thought to try mine with anything else. My Barcode Scanner app on my EVO works fine, but that's all I have to test with, lol. Anyone want to point and click this?

Thank you.
Bruce

lightman
12-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I never even thought to try mine with anything else. My Barcode Scanner app on my EVO works fine, but that's all I have to test with, lol. Anyone want to point and click this?

Thank you.
Bruce

FYI....Works great with my Thunderbolt (Android platform).

Lightman

boyelroy11
12-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Cool. Anyone with an Iphone variant?

lightman
12-14-2012, 11:57 AM
I used your QR code yesterday and connected to an NSA secure site through a back door. Two agents appeared at my office this morning and I'm having trouble typing this with my hands handcuffed behind my back.... The good part is that they said "We left the car running so it's nice and warm inside as we drive you to the big house..." I thought I overheard them mutter the word "gitmo" a couple times... not sure what that's all about...

J/K.... :biggrin:

I heard the "big house" serves lutefisk for lunch everyday. You will be all set! :razz:

jcross
12-14-2012, 01:35 PM

Thank you.
Bruce

on iPhone with QRReader I was taken directly to your website!

budude
12-14-2012, 01:42 PM

Thank you.
Bruce

Worked just fine on my Galaxy SIII...

boyelroy11
12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Good deal. Thanks, guys.

dirknerkle
12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
On my Blackberry Curve, it sat there for a couple seconds, then displayed the picture I'd just taken. That's it. My BBCurve is not a smart phone. I have a dumb phone. But that's somehow quite appropriate for its owner...