PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to wireless connectivity with LOR?

Jholmes
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey everyone!

Glad to be finding a new, cool forum to participate in.
I'm already finding all sorts of gems of awesomeness (anyone seen the IR synchronized hats??)

Alright, here is my question:

I currently use LOR and I don't really plan on changing that.
The one flaw I am finding, however, is their wireless systems are not that reliable.
I've only used them once and the data kept becoming interrupted and then it would try to "catch up."

What do you use to transmit data wirelessly?

kingofkya
12-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Most of us use a slower serial protcoll so we can use drop in serial transmiters. Aka:xbee radios. There pretty reliable in my experance.

Jholmes
12-20-2012, 04:57 PM
What are the benefits and disadvantages of slower serial?

budude
12-20-2012, 06:47 PM
What are the benefits and disadvantages of slower serial?

It's not really a matter of *wanting* them to go slower - it's just that the radios only support those speeds. If they could support DMX speeds (250Kbps) I'd be all over it...

kingofkya
12-20-2012, 06:49 PM
It's not really a matter of *wanting* them to go slower - it's just that the radios only support those speeds. If they could support DMX speeds (250Kbps) I'd be all over it...

You know its probably pretty trivial to make a speed converter. You would just have to be carefull not to overwhelm the buffer.

Also slower serial = greater reliablity.

dirknerkle
12-20-2012, 06:58 PM
There might be an answer using the MAX3232 chip in a Ren-W and then using the RN-XV module from Roving Networks. The RN-XV is a wi-fi, drop-in replacement for the Xbee radio that Ren-W normally uses, but in a serial mode, its specs indicate it can handle up to about 400kbps. Hook them up using the UDP protocol and it just might work. The MAX3232 is pin compatible with the MAX232 that's currently in the Ren-W...which tops out at about 120kbps...

This is one of the things I'll be testing with Ren-W over the next month -- trying to figure a way to make the Ren-W capable of handling DMX speeds for all you DMX folks. I have already tested it at 115,200 and proven it works, so stay tuned... this is the next project for the DIGWDF engineers...

budude
12-20-2012, 09:09 PM
You know its probably pretty trivial to make a speed converter. You would just have to be carefull not to overwhelm the buffer.

huh? How do you convert a 250Kbps stream to 57Kbps and keep a full 512 byte data stream? It's simple math really... Granted you might be able to play some games if you know you are sending less than that I suppose but that sounds messy and requires yet another widget in-between things to add delay. The answer is to use a faster radio (as Dirk mentioned) - my reply was specifically geared towards the existing Ren-W stuff.

kingofkya
12-20-2012, 11:12 PM
huh? How do you convert a 250Kbps stream to 57Kbps and keep a full 512 byte data stream? It's simple math really... Granted you might be able to play some games if you know you are sending less than that I suppose but that sounds messy and requires yet another widget in-between things to add delay. The answer is to use a faster radio (as Dirk mentioned) - my reply was specifically geared towards the existing Ren-W stuff.

I am making the assumption that that your not fully utilizing the serial speed. aka: it has gaps. And the xbees go up to 115kbps. So it would have it be a half used universe.

dirknerkle
12-20-2012, 11:24 PM
I am making the assumption that that your not fully utilizing the serial speed. aka: it has gaps. And the xbees go up to 115kbps. So it would have it be a half used universe.

The xbees only work at 115200 with handshaking. They max out at about 80kbps with an asynchronous streaming protocol.

kingofkya
12-20-2012, 11:26 PM
The xbees only work at 115200 with handshaking. They max out at about 80kbps with an asynchronous streaming protocol.

Why must to ruin my fun:)

dirknerkle
12-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Why must to ruin my fun:)

It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.....😂

Dennis Cherry
12-21-2012, 09:23 AM
I have not found any wireless yet that can handle DMX. Have tried many and they do not work the same as hard wiring with Cat5/6.

corynick
12-21-2012, 09:25 AM
The cost for 1000' feet of Cat5 is peanuts.. Hard wired will always trump wireless. At least with the current technology

Jholmes
12-21-2012, 04:12 PM
I know there are wireless DMX systems out there because they are used in theatre all the time. But they are expensive.
I'm trying to see if I can setup a wireless LOR network without using the LOR wireless hardware.

Seems like you have some great solutions! I have no idea how much data I push through a network on any given day. I usually just program visually :).

dezzneefan
01-16-2018, 12:34 AM
What item do I need to purchase that can work the LOR controllers and not have to purchase the LOR wireless Easy Light Linker?

plasmadrive
01-16-2018, 09:56 AM
I wonder why are you having issues with the ELL? I used them for years and I never lost a beat that I know of. One of mine was even about 100+ feet from the sender and it worked flawlessly every time. (OK, other than the one that failed after three year).

Now since I went to xlights from LOR I had to have another way to do the long distance wireless to that location. I wound up using the ESPixel stick with a small RS485 converter board to run via DMX wirelessly. I had no hiccups at all with it. I actually used 5 of them this season, all without a hiccup.

MartinMueller2003
01-16-2018, 12:48 PM
FYI: The ESP is a generic device. The serial port we use to control the pixels is bi-directional. There is nothing preventing someone from designing a DMX(RS485) to E1.31 device. It should not be that hard. The most expensive part would be the DMX receiver that feeds the ESP.

Ruppro
01-16-2018, 11:35 PM
There is this board, that runs the ESPixelStick Serial/DMX firmware, specifically designed for LOR

I have talked to Grayson about his board and I think he is done with it. He has a dmx board also I just don't have a link. (https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?8691-ESP-to-Serial-adapter&p=95828&viewfull=1#post95828)

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/naBnZMfX