PDA

View Full Version : This may help you who are using hls with com port issues ( this is not for dmx )

angus40
12-12-2012, 05:19 AM
I built one of theses adapters on the cheap and you can get the parts at your local electronics store .

All credit goes to Brian-Budude and Dave -Dirknerkle and the wiki for getting me started and up and running with my first renard board .

This adapter worked perfectly with hls and my renard ss and 48lsd boards .

Hope this helps you get your shows working for this year .

Cheers

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20188-Serial-connection-cable-for-renard-boards-with-rj45-input-via-computer-usb

rfallatt
12-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't want to the bearer of bad news, but that is how I made my (2) adapters and I am having com port issues. I think it may depend on the "USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Adapter Cable" that you buy.
I bought from Monoprice ~$5.95ea and they kept failing (ie the lights froze, while HLS kept playing and sending data).
I also bought expensive ones from Staples ~$37.00ea, same result.

Discussed this with Joe and noted neither had a FTDI chipset (That may or may not solve the problem).

Further troubleshooting revealed that the on board 9 pin Serial PCI card worked fine. Right now looking for a second 9-pin PCI to try as I need two com ports to run my show.

kingofkya
12-12-2012, 04:52 PM
You may also have a unused com port internaly that just needs something attached. Like how frount pannle usb ports atttach. Assuming a desktop.

I have a few difrent brands of serial cables if you or joe want more test resualts. Just pm me + and sequence you want me to test. Incuding ftdi