PDA

View Full Version : super candy canes

gizmo
01-24-2008, 10:53 PM
has anyone tried to make large canes, in thinking 4" diameter about 6' tall.

i found a fiberglass company thaat will make a mold for $200 adn charge me $15 a copy, way to costly.

a plumber told me about putting a length of PVC pipe on my car exhaust for 30 minutes or so (until it gets soft) then bend it around a form i make. sounds easy-dont know what it will do to my car?

any ideas????

scott

jrock64
01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
I am playing with white flexible ducting.
Just white vinyl on a wire slikney.
Four inches in diameter and semi transparent so could be lit from the inside.
Maybe just alternating red and white lights. NO PAINTING
Would need some kind of frame to hold the cane shape.
Just an idea. No clue if it will work.

Joel

gizmo
01-25-2008, 12:02 AM
I am playing with white flexible ducting.
Just white vinyl on a wire slikney.
Four inches in diameter and semi transparent so could be lit from the inside.
Maybe just alternating red and white lights. NO PAINTING
Would need some kind of frame to hold the cane shape.
Just an idea. No clue if it will work.

Joel

good idea

im wanting to cut the pvc in half then attach to a wall. the color will need to be painted for day time viewing and i plan to light with red and white inserted through holes.

scott

omzig
01-25-2008, 12:12 AM
a plumber told me about putting a length of PVC pipe on my car exhaust for 30 minutes or so (until it gets soft) then bend it around a form i make. sounds easy-dont know what it will do to my car?Now that's one I've never heard before! It doesn't seem like it would get hot enough to me. Especially if you're talking 4" schedule-40 pipe (aka DWV), its pretty thick stuff. There is the thinner S&D pipe, but I've never tried to bend it before. It seems to me that it would be hard not to burn a hole in it.

I've bent quite a bit of PVC pipe using a heat gun. The only problem is, if you bend it much more than 45-degrees you have to fill it with sand to keep it from kinking.

One thing too...Don't use a torch to soften PVC pipe! If it gets too hot, it will give off a deadly poison gas!

BTW, my first choice for user name was gizmo but you signed up a few days before me. Gizmo has been a nickname of mine since I was a teenager (unfortunately, a long time ago). I couldn't think of anything better at the time so I just reversed the letters.

gizmo
01-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Now that's one I've never heard before! It doesn't seem like it would get hot enough to me. Especially if you're talking 4" schedule-40 pipe (aka DWV), its pretty thick stuff. There is the thinner S&D pipe, but I've never tried to bend it before. It seems to me that it would be hard not to burn a hole in it.

I've bent quite a bit of PVC pipe using a heat gun. The only problem is, if you bend it much more than 45-degrees you have to fill it with sand to keep it from kinking.

One thing too...Don't use a torch to soften PVC pipe! If it gets too hot, it will give off a deadly poison gas!

BTW, my first choice for user name was gizmo but you signed up a few days before me. Gizmo has been a nickname of mine since I was a teenager (unfortunately, a long time ago). I couldn't think of anything better at the time so I just reversed the letters.

sorry about teh gizmo thing its my recently departed dogs name 16.5 years- my little tribute for teh wonderful memeries.

i thought the same thing about the kinking, i was thinking about trying to fill it with preheated sand capping both ends adn putting that into a box heated by a furnace exhaust. i know stay down wind lol then bending it around a form.

JaysonH
01-25-2008, 12:34 AM
What it will do to your car is not much. It will restrict the exhaust flow which will likely create a richer Air to Fuel ratio, but the O2 sensor will see this and the PCM/ECM/ECU will compensate. If you restrict it too much, your car will stall. No big deal.

gizmo
01-25-2008, 12:43 AM
What it will do to your car is not much. It will restrict the exhaust flow which will likely create a richer Air to Fuel ratio, but the O2 sensor will see this and the PCM/ECM/ECU will compensate. If you restrict it too much, your car will stall. No big deal.

dont know what that means!!

but NO BIG DEAL means ill try it.

kostyun
01-25-2008, 01:10 AM
There are a few ways to "easily" bend PVC.

http://www.crossfitwestchester.com/2007/07/29/pvc-gymnastic-rings/
also has good info!

The method I have used is the oven method (yes, the oven in the house) and it works quite well, also, so does a heat gun. Packing the pipe with sand will prevent kinks from occurring.

omzig
01-25-2008, 01:59 AM
You said that you wanted them 6' tall...well unless you plan to do them in pieces, I don't think it's going to fit into your oven. You can buy a heat gun pretty cheap. Here's one for $20: http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/product.asp?dept_id=181401&sku=339921 (http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/product.asp?dept_id=181401&sku=339921&)

WWNF911
01-25-2008, 06:23 AM
You said that you wanted them 6' tall...well unless you plan to do them in pieces, I don't think it's going to fit into your oven. You can buy a heat gun pretty cheap. Here's one for $20: http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/product.asp?dept_id=181401&sku=339921 (http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/product.asp?dept_id=181401&sku=339921&)

Was searching the net on this one,... wouldn't give up on the oven just yet. Of course you guys have already mentioned sand to make sure not to kink. Someone suggested filling the desired area with hot sand.

Leon

daviddth
01-25-2008, 07:52 AM
I have bent conduit to 4 inch diameter by filling the area with sand then slowly heating using a hot air gun. Thinner diameter conduit can be bent cold if you have access to a conduit bending spring which is placed inside and stops the conduit deforming.

eschnell
01-25-2008, 09:43 AM
oxy-acetylene torch on a lower output. Just have to watch you don't melt the PVC.

mark
01-25-2008, 11:33 AM

ok, stupid question coming. how hot will a hair dryer get? i see this gun is 700 watts and some hairdryers are over 1,000. how do the two compare?

now, hopefully this will make up for the stupid question. a thread on making giant candy canes from 10' x 4" pvc on planet christmas: http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum16/15011-1.html

jrock64
01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Why not a gas barbecue grill.
Run the pipe out both ends and its outdoors so no fumes.

Joel

omzig
01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
ok, stupid question coming. how hot will a hair dryer get? i see this gun is 700 watts and some hairdryers are over 1,000. how do the two compare?OK, heres the stupid answer...Actually it's 1500W on the high setting. The heat is more concentrated than a hairdryer. A hairdryer blows a lot of air and spreads the heat out more. The gun gets plenty hot enough to bend even 4" Sch40. I have a similar gun and have done it many times. BTW, the low setting works good for heat shrink tubing too.

kylec
01-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I've seen plumbers use the tail pipe method on job sites before........but not with 4". I don't think you would get enough heat to bend a pipe that size.

gizmo
01-25-2008, 10:54 PM
ok, stupid question coming. how hot will a hair dryer get? i see this gun is 700 watts and some hairdryers are over 1,000. how do the two compare?

now, hopefully this will make up for the stupid question. a thread on making giant candy canes from 10' x 4" pvc on planet christmas: http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum16/15011-1.html

mark

thank you very very much that is exactly what i was looking for!!!

scott

Brad Riley
01-26-2008, 01:30 AM
I've been trying to find something to make Candy Canes out of for a month or so. Got sidetracked with another project lately, but I was thinking about the clear plastic tube, about 1-1/2" dia. that is used to protect fluorescent lights in restaurant kitchens. Saw it Home Depot. Comes in 4' & 6' lengths, and it's clear.
Bend, stuff with your favorite color lights, wah,lah.

2 cents worth...

Brad

ben
01-26-2008, 10:35 AM
ok I know I got on this late but fiberglass candy canes won't be that expensive. I make molds all the time. Spend about 2 hours and then let it cure. If I had a good master to go from its easy. If I have to prime and sand it and them seal it and polish it before I can use it then that takes time. If DIYC can get an order of like 10-15 of them together, I can get a good deal on fiberglass and make them for almost nothing. They might still be $15 a copy but its not no dang $200 a mold.

Ben

gizmo
01-26-2008, 11:25 AM
ok I know I got on this late but fiberglass candy canes won't be that expensive. I make molds all the time. Spend about 2 hours and then let it cure. If I had a good master to go from its easy. If I have to prime and sand it and them seal it and polish it before I can use it then that takes time. If DIYC can get an order of like 10-15 of them together, I can get a good deal on fiberglass and make them for almost nothing. They might still be $15 a copy but its not no dang $200 a mold.

Ben

the "mold" i quoted for $200 is for what you are calling a master that they were going to build to my specs.

scott

Brad Riley
01-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Ben,

Fiberglass would be sturdy and last forever, but I question how much light would escape if put inside.

WallyWorld (Wallmart) had 2' individual canes for $1.97 last season. They were not strung together like some manufacturers do, making it easy for us. No mod's necessary to have 1 per channel. Clear plastic, lights inside.
Well, being thrifty, (cheap), I thought I would wait till Dec 26th. Yeah, you guessed it. They were gone. Hopefully, they won't increase this year.

Brad

gizmo
01-26-2008, 07:12 PM
my idea is to drill holes in them then insert the lights adn glue thim in place.

also I need 6 to 8 foot tall ones, my house theme is a gingerbread house, and anything smaller would look funny.

all are great ideas however will not work for me.

scott

ben
01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
my idea is to drill holes in them then insert the lights adn glue thim in place.

also I need 6 to 8 foot tall ones, my house theme is a gingerbread house, and anything smaller would look funny.

all are great ideas however will not work for me.

scott

Scott. I can do that in fiberglass. When I make the mold I cab epoxy small 1/4" or 3/16" (whatever lights will fit the hole) pointed dowles that when I lay down the fiberglass will "poke" through it and I can kind cut around it. Its not that had to do. I could actually make a mold fairly easy. If you want to pay for all the materials I will make one. Then I have them for others if they want them. 5 in model rocketry we have 4", 5.5" and 6" tubes. If you can use one of those sizes I can cover that in fiberglass and then the curved part of the candy cane will use a fiberglass coupler and slide into that. then you have 2 seperate pieces making storage easier.

Ben

gizmo
01-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Scott. I can do that in fiberglass. When I make the mold I cab epoxy small 1/4" or 3/16" (whatever lights will fit the hole) pointed dowles that when I lay down the fiberglass will "poke" through it and I can kind cut around it. Its not that had to do. I could actually make a mold fairly easy. If you want to pay for all the materials I will make one. Then I have them for others if they want them. 5 in model rocketry we have 4", 5.5" and 6" tubes. If you can use one of those sizes I can cover that in fiberglass and then the curved part of the candy cane will use a fiberglass coupler and slide into that. then you have 2 seperate pieces making storage easier.

Ben

hay ben:

how much do you think a mold will cost with the pins for lights?

then how much for each cane include something for your labor?

what do you think it would weigh (thinking about shipping)?

the two piece thing sounde like a good idea.

can you paint fiberglass?

scott

ben
01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
hay ben:

how much do you think a mold will cost with the pins for lights?

then how much for each cane include something for your labor?

what do you think it would weigh (thinking about shipping)?

the two piece thing sounde like a good idea.

can you paint fiberglass?

scott

You can do alot to fiberglass. Including paint it. I will tell you, I have never made a mold where the whole thing is curved. I have made balloon shapped ones and that wasn't too hard.

If you go with a 7.5" one, it will be $42 for a 4 foot tube, I lay fiberglass over that and copy it. I think that would look best at about 8 feet tall (2 4 foot sections). It wouldn't weigh all that much its just large and oversized.

Don't hold me to this but for $200 I could get all the supplies for the mold and make you 2 candy canes. These would be sturdy, paintable, and watertight.

ben
01-27-2008, 02:37 PM
also, this would take me a while to do. I do high power rocketry which takes up alot of time and then school. I could deffinitallly get a start on it but it would take a while. I need to spend time making the master that needs to get copy the right shape. I was thinking of making it out of wood rings connected with some aluminum rod.

Ben

mrtenn1
01-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the info. What type and size of plastic pipe would be best to use when bending a 42" arch?

DJzrule
01-27-2008, 09:09 PM
The day after Christmas I went to all different stores, including WallyWorld and I got 10 candycanes w/ lights for only $.75 USD!

Too bad I bought them out.....

Dan Ross
01-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Old time pottery had a bunch of 2' candy canes for .99 before christmas. They didn't have lights inside but had plenty of room for some ropelight.

omzig
01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
I have an inexpensive and relatively easy idea for the giant 6' canes. How about galvanized round duct pipe? a couple of 90° elbows at the top. You could paint them however you wanted. Quick and cheap.

ben
01-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I have an inexpensive and relatively easy idea for the giant 6' canes. How about galvanized round duct pipe? a couple of 90° elbows at the top. You could paint them however you wanted. Quick and cheap.

True, I thought about that for making the form. I thought a contractor buddy of mine said it came in diamteres up to like 24" for industrial

Ben

gizmo
01-28-2008, 10:16 PM
True, I thought about that for making the form. I thought a contractor buddy of mine said it came in diamteres up to like 24" for industrial

Ben

i thought about ductwork however residential will rust at the slip joints and commericial is fairley expensive. (i do hvac)

also both of them will have seams which will not look smooth, you could probably use the ridges on the commericial to give even stripes adn that would help hide the ridges.

ben
01-29-2008, 09:43 PM
i thought about ductwork however residential will rust at the slip joints and commericial is fairley expensive. (i do hvac)

also both of them will have seams which will not look smooth, you could probably use the ridges on the commericial to give even stripes adn that would help hide the ridges.

true. I figured I would make a small curved jig out of some 1/2" ply. Then heat up the aluminum and bend it over that, making sure to keep it round.

Ben