PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for backup/disaster advice!

Xenia
12-11-2012, 05:38 PM
There have been several threads over the past year about preparing for the worst and I took heed. Thank you all for that advice. Four weeks ago I lost my show computer hard-drive and everything was backed up on an older laptop which I ended up using as my show computer.

Also we have had more rain this fall/winter than in recent history and I have had two controllers act up. No problem swapped out spares in about twenty minutes each time. In both cases moisture was the issue but the show still has not been down more than thirty minutes total in the last 18 days.

So as a newbie doing his first show, Thank-you all for being part of this community.

Randy

kingofkya
12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah, it happens: Paranoid guy (aka me) has daily backups and raid:) (I can get hard disks for free where I work)

n_gifford
12-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Crisis adverted! And good to hear it!

I won't claim to diligently back everything up daily, but I try to at least once a week. All of my show data (Sequences, music, etc.) backed up to my Dropbox account so that it's accessible anywhere. So, it goes from my main computer that I use for sequencing, to the Dropbox account, to the show computer and I always know that I have at least 2 copies of everything at any given point.

kingofkya
12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Crisis adverted! And good to hear it!

I won't claim to diligently back everything up daily, but I try to at least once a week. All of my show data (Sequences, music, etc.) backed up to my Dropbox account so that it's accessible anywhere. So, it goes from my main computer that I use for sequencing, to the Dropbox account, to the show computer and I always know that I have at least 2 copies of everything at any given point.

Mine goes automagicly as I know I wont do it.) I have 3 pc towers with 4 drives in raid 5 each just for backups. 500-750gb drives so i have a few tbs:)

I really need to coem up with a better solution though as thouse things use a ton of power. Pen D. But hey free is free.

pmcpa
12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Daily backups, onto the network RAID, and all my sequences are copied into dropbox (so I can sequence when out of the house and bored!)

I have 1 "hot spare" board for my E680's RPM E1.31 DMX bridge, and everything else I use! I've already swapped out an E680 cause a bank was acting strange... cold solder joint, ut was easier to swap the box rather then solder outside in the cold!