PDA

View Full Version : Voice Over techniques?

TomL8345
12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
This is my first year with Blinky Flashy. I finally have my show running smoothly, and the audio sounding good except for my voice overs.

I am using Audacity to bring in my background music (We wish you a Merry Christmas) and have tried several different microphones to add the voice over. Everytime I do this my voice is very low in comparison to the background music. I have tried adjusting everything I can to no avail. When I have gotten my voice loud enough by lowering the Gain on the background and raising the Gain on my voice over. When I broadcast this, everything is very scratchy and does not sound anywhere near as good as the rest of my show.

I would appreciate any suggestions for software (preferably free) or techniques to improve my voice overs.

Thanks,

Tom L

rklarman
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I have used audacity for my voice overs and it came out well. I only adjusted the gains to raise the voice and lower the music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonLights
12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I do this very same thing with Audacity. (example (https://vimeo.com/55244084)) I record my voice without a microphone on my laptop and filter out the background noise, or I use a cheap-o microphone. Certainly not pro-quality, but very clear and audible in my humble opinion.

1. Record your voice in Audacity.
2. Then select your voice audio, and apply the "amplify" effect to raise/lower the volume until it sounds good with the other music. I never touch the gain on the microphone.

I use this same effect for pieced-together clips that have different audio levels that I patch together in a single song.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Blinky Flashy Tom!

mikeh65
12-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Check the microphone input on your computer. Double click on the "Volume" icon in the lower right corner, click on "Options", then click on "Properties". From there select the "Record" button, make sure the Microphone is selected then click on "OK". This will give you the volume control on your computer. Could be the input is too low. Try to adjust it and see if you get more volume out of your recordings.

kidcole
12-11-2012, 05:47 PM
I use a program called n-Track. with this program you put in your music in a stereo track and then you can add any number of additional tracks. Hence the name "n" track. It's simple to use and once you get your audio tracks in there along with your song, then you can remix the audio any way you like. Fade out at the end, etc etc. http://ntrack.com/ $49 for the basic package which is fine for anything we do here...

TomL8345
12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks! This is the advice i needed!

Thanks so much to everyone who responded.

May your holidays be filled with Blinky Flashy!

I do this very same thing with Audacity. (example (https://vimeo.com/55244084)) I record my voice without a microphone on my laptop and filter out the background noise, or I use a cheap-o microphone. Certainly not pro-quality, but very clear and audible in my humble opinion.

1. Record your voice in Audacity.
2. Then select your voice audio, and apply the "amplify" effect to raise/lower the volume until it sounds good with the other music. I never touch the gain on the microphone.

I use this same effect for pieced-together clips that have different audio levels that I patch together in a single song.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Blinky Flashy Tom!

n_gifford
12-11-2012, 06:21 PM
I use Audacity, as mentioned above. It's free and better than anything I've tried before, free or paid. I've only done a few voice-overs, and I use the microphone on my Skull-Candy head phones. I leave the voice recording as is, drop the gain on the music, and they seem OK.

EDIT: I was going to post a link to my show intro, but I realized that it probably has copyrighted music. Bummer.....

kingofkya
12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Also use a laptop... On mine almost all noise on the mic goes way on it with the ac adapter unplugged.

n_gifford
12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Also use a laptop... On mine almost all noise on the mic goes way on it with the ac adapter unplugged.

Interesting. In that case, I'll add that the only times I've recorded voice-overs, my laptop was plugged in.... Now it should be clear as mud! :blink: