PDA

View Full Version : Desoldering triacs

ctmal
12-09-2012, 06:01 PM
We have had quite a few issues this year which leads me to believe that I may be replacing some triacs this year on my RenSS24's. I'm actually tossing around the idea of replacing them all with the newer suggested triac model but I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, in the past I've had very iffy results desoldering triacs using a solder iron. I tend to lose the pads when I do it. Are there any suggested tools and/or methods to make this less of a risky project?

Currently I just clip off the triac and use a solder iron to remove the pins individually. I'm hoping there's a better option.

imbluenote
12-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Currently I just clip off the triac and use a solder iron to remove the pins individually. I'm hoping there's a better option.

That's what i do.

You might consider a desoldering pump though if you are looking at doing a bunch of them

mkess
12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I use a solder sucker. It takes me longer to wait for it to heat up then it does to replace the triac.

Lionking_Tx
12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Use a desolder pump - they are cheap and work great.

jerryinmich57
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I have one of these and I think it's great, the tip has a hole that slides down right over the pin and when you release the bulb it sucks the solder clean.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731
Jerry

dmcole
12-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Actually, while it's counter-intuitive, the best way is to add solder between Pins 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. You then create a large pool of solder that is melted all at once and can pull the triac out. Then use braid or a sucker to clean up the mess.

\dmc

jrock64
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Clip the pins Check
Solder sucker Check.

I also attach a hemostat or very light clamp to the pin on the bottom side.
No timing issues, when it wants to it will usually just fall out.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&Ntt=hemostat

Then I clean out the hole with the sucker, or drill the solder out with fine wire drills if it is not cooperating.

Joel

mkess
12-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I have one of these and I think it's great, the tip has a hole that slides down right over the pin and when you release the bulb it sucks the solder clean.
Jerry
That's the one I use.

mrpackethead
12-09-2012, 07:30 PM
hot air rework tool and and upside down board, is also a good way to go.. just dont' over heat your pcb..

One of the reasons i use Surface mount parts so much is that they are so easy to remove if you need to.

kingofkya
12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
YEah don't under estimate a solder braid.

My preferred one. I think it has some type of flux in it worked really well.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-Desoldering-Braid-Chem-Wik-10-50L/dp/B0019V5MAC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355104112&sr=8-4&keywords=chemtronics

Also don't bother with the radio shack ones, they are about useless.

glaforce
12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Actually, while it's counter-intuitive, the best way is to add solder between Pins 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. You then create a large pool of solder that is melted all at once and can pull the triac out. Then use braid or a sucker to clean up the mess.

\dmc

This is the way i have done this type of repair as well. The larger pool of solder holds more heat on the pins and the triac will just drop out. Then you use a solder sucker and remove most of the solder followed by solder braid to do fine level cleaning followed by some flux remover. I allow the board to cool between the solder sucker and braid step as it would be easy to lift a pad if you get the pcb to hot. I have done much less damage to PCB do this type of desoldering then trying to do the same type of desoldering with a manual solder sucker or solder braid on larger devices like this.

Gary

Wayne J
12-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Jerry

+1
I use this exclusively. It gets the job done, easily and quickly. Just let it heat up completely ( a few minutes). When you place it over the component, pull it snug up to the lead and release the bulb. Done. After you do all three leads, gently move the triac back and forth to see if it is loose, if not redo the lead holding it.

ErnieHorning
12-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Actually, while it's counter-intuitive, the best way is to add solder between Pins 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. You then create a large pool of solder that is melted all at once and can pull the triac out. Then use braid or a sucker to clean up the mess.This is my preferred method also. I find that it causes the least amount of damage to the board and typically looks like a repair was never made. Clean it up with alcohol and a Q-tip when you’re done.

BTW, you can cause damage to the board when you clip large leads, especially if you hear a loud ‘click’. I only clip leads on the parts side as a last resort.

corytcline
12-10-2012, 06:53 AM

\dmc

This is the method I used after trying to clip the leads which did not work for me. I had to repair one In the yard while the ren was in the enclosure. I took a bread tie and put it through the hole in the top of the triac then used dmcole's method. Triac pulled right out and new slipped right in. I did not clean anything up with a solder sucker or anything just pulled the old one out and soldered the new one in from the top side(like I said it was in the enclosure). I'm sure it's not the cleanest repair but it worked and thats what counts right, besides I don't have to many people that want to see how neat my controller looks :-)!

mikentn
12-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I invested in a desoldering station from CSI last year. It works reasonably well, but even a small bit of left-in solder can hold on to a lead pretty tightly. Next time I have to desolder something big (triac or strawhat led) I think I'll try adding solder between the pins. Thanks!

Sent from a mobile electronic device somewhere in the ether

ctmal
07-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Well, I finally got around to working on my boards. Figured I'd start with a Ren16 that has 4 bad ones. Picked up the RadioShack desoldering iron...holy cow, this thing is great!

Thanks for the tips guys, suddenly it's not as big of a deal as I thought it was(except for the fact that I'm also watching the Phillies choke out another loss while I'm doing this).

+1
I use this exclusively. It gets the job done, easily and quickly. Just let it heat up completely ( a few minutes). When you place it over the component, pull it snug up to the lead and release the bulb. Done. After you do all three leads, gently move the triac back and forth to see if it is loose, if not redo the lead holding it.

Wayne J
07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, I finally got around to working on my boards. Figured I'd start with a Ren16 that has 4 bad ones. Picked up the RadioShack desoldering iron...holy cow, this thing is great!

Thanks for the tips guys, suddenly it's not as big of a deal as I thought it was(except for the fact that I'm also watching the Phillies choke out another loss while I'm doing this).

Cool, glad you like it. Now, another tip, when soldering in the new ones... make sure solder flows to the top of the board, if not solder the top. This is just in case you pull the barrel of copper out of the hole.

LabRat
07-03-2013, 09:25 PM
If you know the TRIAC is dead, save yourself some time/worry and cut the pins first. No sense risking the board for the price of the part.

timon
07-04-2013, 12:36 AM
+1 for cutting. I do the same for DIL ICs and just cut the out then remove the pins one by one.

DIY Sparks
07-04-2013, 03:10 PM

\dmc
Amen. Shorter periods of applied heat. Flood it. Braid or sucker to clean up.

We repair PC motherboards --the most obnoxiously contrary solder work I've ever encountered--- and "flood and sucker" ALWAYS works. Makes a good band name, too.

carlk
07-05-2013, 06:26 PM
I like to use one of the larger spring loaded Soldapullit. It gives you more vacuum. You don't want to cut the pins off or they will get sucked in.

Carl