PDA

View Full Version : HLS - Who would use a XOR, AND, OR capability

JHinkle
12-07-2012, 09:16 AM
I have had several requests for laying/mixing effects .....

I believe the typical operations are XOR, AND, and OR.

Would you use these operators?

If so -- WHY (what end effect are you attempting to achieve)?

Are there another other operators that would be useful?

If I implement ... my thoughts are to provide you with an effects channel (you have THAT today) and an additional channel for each operator. You would place effects in the Operator channels (1 or more per Effect channel if wanted) - with the Output(Blinky Lights or Preview) being the RESULTS acted upon by all associated operators.

Would this be useful?

Please SPEAK or forever hold your peace :thup:

Joe

Heldwhat Christmas
12-07-2012, 09:59 AM
I would use them...

I have arches and use various patterns as I cycle between the arches... My ramp down effects aren't always done before I want to start another effect.

kychristmas
12-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I have not gotten fully into the world of "effects-based" sequencing, but in the Vixen Grid, I have pretty much mastered the use of these various "Arithemetic/Boolean Paste" functions. I use them to copy and paste channels essentially creating opposing effects.

I would think they would be useful. Many people don't undertstand what they mean or I believe other people would want them as well.

BrianJ
12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I would think they would be useful. Many people don't undertstand what they mean or I believe other people would want them as well.

I am in this category. Being new to this and learning/making it up as I go along my knowledge is limited but I would be happy to learn more new things that could help the display.

As always, Thanks Joe

JHinkle
12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I have not gotten fully into the world of "effects-based" sequencing, but in the Vixen Grid, I have pretty much mastered the use of these various "Arithemetic/Boolean Paste" functions. I use them to copy and paste channels essentially creating opposing effects.

Kelly

"Arithemetic/Boolean" - which specific operators do you use?

Joe

kingofkya
12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
You, know i have to say this you never know what effect looks great until you accedentley achieve it useing some strange function.

A few procedural functions (semi random) wouldn't be bad idea ether you never know what you will get.:) I guess this is getting closer to nutcracker but still.

JHinkle
12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
You, know i have to say this you never know what effect looks great until you accedentley achieve it useing some strange function.

A few procedural functions (semi random) wouldn't be bad idea ether you never know what you will get.:) I guess this is getting closer to nutcracker but still.

That is coming with my PixelPlane editor.

Then you will be able to do effects similar to Nutcracker and Madrix.

Joe

Barnabybear
12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
I used XOR alot on my tree with Vixen. I set all my pixels to green then created an effect in red (spiral for example). Copied the spiral and paisted on to the green using XOR but moving the red down one place so it became green. This had the effect of removing all green where the red had been pasted. Finaly I pasted the red again but this time in its correct place.
The end result a green background with a red spiral moving through it (if I hadent removed the green from the background it would be an orange spiral).

rush44oh1
12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
i would use it
thanks

rogelio
12-07-2012, 08:19 PM
I use the AND function all the time. I use it to slowly fade a chase sequence. I create a chase and a fade sequence of equal length. then I "AND" the fade on top of the chase.

jess_her
12-07-2012, 09:02 PM
If/then arguments? IF my show starts THEN dim my background to 50%, IF my show ends THEN my background light 100% intensity.

CDN_Diesel
12-07-2012, 10:52 PM
As I am still learning, I am game to keep learning. If it makes it easier in the long run, all for it.

budude
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I think this is one those "If you make it, they will come" kind of thing... Vixen has these abilities but I'm guessing the majority of folks don't know it or don't use it - myself included... I've used the OR function a lot to blend effects on top of each other since selection boxes are squares but the effect may be a diagonal chase but that's about the extent of my use with them. I think if people saw examples of how they each could be used a lot of folks would go "ohhhh.... sweet!".

kychristmas
12-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I use the Subtraction, AND, OR, and XOR functions.

JHinkle
12-08-2012, 12:43 PM
My only concern right now is RGB colors.

Vixen uses them but on a single color channel.

Not sure the final result of those operators on RGB - if I can work the colors so they work well - the intensity is no issue.

Joe