PDA

View Full Version : vixen and olsen 595 question: inverted signal

germtangc
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
First of all I'm a newbie in this forum but I have been researching about light sequencing even before becoming a member here. I should search the forums for an answer to my question but I don't know how to phrase the keysearch that would describe it.

I already went ahead and made my own olsen 595 board (16 channels for now). I used the design with the ULN2803's. So also made my own sinked SSR boards from a schematic I found floating in the web. Suffice to say the setup worked and currently in use in a simple light show I set up for nightly viewing.

Now on to my question: In vixen 2.5 as I set ON patterns for the channels they would actually turn OFF the light strings on those channels. Is this really normal for an Olsen 595 controller setup? This is not really a problem since I would just INVERT the whole sequence for the light strings to blink on the actual patterns I set.

Next question: I'm greatly considering upgrading to a REN-T/REN-C/Olsen 595 setup next year. Would the same inverted signals be observed on my planned setup? Would I then set a bright to dim pattern on Vixen if I would plan to actually dim the lights from dimmest to brightest?

Thanks for considering my thoughts. I barely remember reading something about my first question to be true but I can't be sure if I read it right.

RavingLunatic
12-04-2012, 10:50 AM
First of all I'm a newbie in this forum but I have been researching about light sequencing even before becoming a member here. I should search the forums for an answer to my question but I don't know how to phrase the keysearch that would describe it.

I already went ahead and made my own olsen 595 board (16 channels for now). I used the design with the ULN2803's. So also made my own sinked SSR boards from a schematic I found floating in the web. Suffice to say the setup worked and currently in use in a simple light show I set up for nightly viewing.

Now on to my question: In vixen 2.5 as I set ON patterns for the channels they would actually turn OFF the light strings on those channels. Is this really normal for an Olsen 595 controller setup? This is not really a problem since I would just INVERT the whole sequence for the light strings to blink on the actual patterns I set.

Next question: I'm greatly considering upgrading to a REN-T/REN-C/Olsen 595 setup next year. Would the same inverted signals be observed on my planned setup? Would I then set a bright to dim pattern on Vixen if I would plan to actually dim the lights from dimmest to brightest?

Thanks for considering my thoughts. I barely remember reading something about my first question to be true but I can't be sure if I read it right.

Welcome to DIYC (since it is your first post)!!

I would say that is not normal.

Since you made your own hardware, can you post a schematic of what you built? Hard to provide advice when we don't know what we are dealing with.

RL

somtng4u2c
12-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Sounds to me like you built your board using the positive side to do the switching where as the orignal uses the negitived side .

germtangc
12-04-2012, 11:45 AM
I used this as reference. I had difficulty registering into the forum at the time so I had no access to the coop schematic and had to dig around until I stumbled with this schema. I will recheck the schematic I made in eagle tomorrow cos its sleepy time where I'm at.

EDIT: I used the layout with the ULN2803.

Ronp
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I agree with RL

also parts list what optos did you use ect.

somtng4u2c
12-04-2012, 07:04 PM
If you look at the sch. you posted it say if you use the 2803 on your board you would be using the negitive to controll signal if you did not use 2803 you are using the 5v to controll signal.

germtangc
12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I opted to use MOC3061 optoisolator (for its suitability for 240v use despite its zero-cross circuitry) and TIC220D triacs (400v, 8A).

I will be conducting tests tonight with the controller to see if the signal from the ULN2803 coincide with the ON signal in Vixen.

germtangc
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I followed the schematic I posted above to make these boards.

germtangc
12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
I went and used my multitester to detect pulse coming out from the output pins of the 74hc595. Still the 5v pulse from the 595's are only produced during OFF cycles in the Vixen sequence.

I'm beginning to suspect a fault in the PC side (Vixen 2.5.0.8. plugin= simple 595).

RavingLunatic
12-06-2012, 08:01 AM
You can also try changing the mode that the parallel port is operating in the BIOS. When the Olsen was in wide use, the most common setting in BIOS was EPP.

Maybe try this:
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_test_a_Parallel_Port

Also review the wiki for information on the troubleshooting the Grinch also. There is some info in there that might help since it uses the same parallel method to operate.

RL