PDA

View Full Version : Links in threads that no longer work

Macrosill
01-22-2008, 07:03 PM
We have some posts that have links in them that pointed to threads in the old forum. The links no longer work and need to be updated to point to the same thread but in this forum. Should you come upon this situation I would ask you to pm the user that posted the link and see if they recall what they were referencing. Then they can contact me and we can get the post updated with the proper link.

This approach will help spread the load to us all instead of me searching each and every post. If we all do our little part it should go smoothly and quickly.

Thanks in advance for you cooperation.

Dan Ross
01-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Would it be possible to put the old forum back online but locked down to use a reference for those mystery links till the new forum gets updated?

Macrosill
01-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I could but it would take a bit of time. I am concentrating on fixing some bugs here right now. But lets still try to fix the links here instead of just using the other place as a reference.

blurp
01-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Maybe we could use the old forum to see what to search for in the new forum and get the links fixed faster?

Is the old forum in a SQL database? We could craft queries to find the all the links in the old forum to the old forum.

Dan Ross
01-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe we could use the old forum to see what to search for in the new forum and get the links fixed faster?

This is what I was meaning, then as people look thru if they see a link to the old forum they could atleast know where it linked to and create a new post with a link to this forum. Then when you have time you could go back and edit the original posts.

notyou
01-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Not to be the pessimist, but I really don't see this working out to well (referring to Macrosills method). Especially since I brought this issue up in the other thread <g>.

There are thousands of posts with links in them, some of them months (if not years old). I doubt people will ultimately remember what they were trying to link to. Additionally, with only Macrosill being able to edit these old posts, I'm sure that will put a lot of work on his shoulders as the requests come in.

Most other forums I frequent that have also done a major upgrade simply leave a locked version of the "old" forum in place. This makes all the links work, yet requires no maintenance on anyone's part.

Perhaps not worry about the links at the moment, and instead fix the other bugs you are working on. Then, when time permits in the upcoming weeks pursue this option? I think people could live without the links working for a little while, since as a last resort a general search may find the thread that was being linked to?

Macrosill
01-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Sounds like a plan.

kostyun
01-23-2008, 10:48 AM
I think that may also be the best solution - at least for ~1 month or so to allow the links to be updated. This would also mean that users need to be able to edit there posts.

notyou
01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks Macrosill -- links on posts that go to the [old] forum are working great.