PDA

View Full Version : First "not so mega" tree...

smcurry
12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Thinking about using a treated 16' 4x4. Seems like overkill, but I don't want to use pvc, build a complicated base to secure everything to, or bury any part of the mast in the ground.

I'll cut the base of the 4x4 to a point that will slightly settle itself in the ground (so the bottom of the mast can't shift), and use 4 guy wires from the 15' mark coming down at a 30 degree angle.

I'm not using that many light strands this year so each strand will be individually anchored with something like an 11" tent stake.

I'm in northern Virginia, so even if a bad storm rolls through, I don't expect to see anything over 60 mph winds, and that's worst case.

Any thoughts, concerns? Any recommendations on guy wire material and anchors?

Thanks,
Steven

Donny M. Carter
12-02-2012, 11:22 AM
This also may be an option for you. http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/building%20a%20portable%20hole.pdf

FIRECOP252
12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
smcurry....you can look on my website and see one of the portable holes in my pictures I built one this year because I was like you wanted something that wasnt buried or took a lot of time. I used the portable hole and 1 1/4 steel pipe....also i know i used a lot of treated lumber this year and had such an issue with twisting and bowing when putting in a fence. just my .02 cents worth.

smcurry
12-02-2012, 12:03 PM
The portable hole seems like a neat idea! Not sure how I'd move it around when it's time to tear down and set it up again next year.

I thought about the 4x4 warping. I picked through the stack at lowes and found the most perfect one they had. I've had it in my garage since last weekend and it hasn't changed a bit. I also considered a second set of guy wires half way up thinking they might help combat warping. It really only needs to last until new years when I'll take it down and cut it up.

I really plan on setting this thing up today or tomorrow, so it looks like I've got some decisions to make...

budude
12-02-2012, 12:18 PM
I built the Portable Hole II for my tree - very easy to build and works great. I also built the JUMP but did not use the trailer jack. I just figured out what height I needed and stuck a bolt in to the inner pole. I then walked it upright with the lights attached. Worked for me until my wood topper broke off in the rain...

gweedojg
12-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I built my miditree 10ft and it is portable. I used an 1 1/4 steel threaded conduit pipe and the bottom has a round pole flange screwed on and it just sits on the ground. I bought the topper from christmaslightshow.com. The bottom of my tree is an 3/4'' sch.40 pvc bell ended 18ft long that i glued into a circle. I can send pics. also are you doing spiral or regular?

smcurry
12-02-2012, 01:15 PM
It'll be a regular tree. Pretty mild this year. I've got about 800 C9 LED lights. No fancy controller, just going to plug 'em in and that's that.

crazy_carpenter
12-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I made my portable hole with an old car tire full of concrete and a 1 foot sleeve. My center pole fits inside the sleeve. When it comes to tear down, I just pull out the center pole, tilt the tire with the sleeve and roll it off to storage.

Strother85
12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I used 3/32" vinyl coated galvanized steel cable from home depot. You can get 250' for $70 or you can but it by the foot. I don't remember the "by foot" price but I bought 50' and it was around $20. They also have the 1/4" stuff for a bit more. Just use large eye screws threaded into the wood and tie out augers into the ground. Mine is made of 2 inch pvc with 4 of these guy wires and has 72 sets of 100 ct incans and still holding strong(knock on wood).

smcurry
12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
So I went with the 16' 4x4. Cut the bottom to a point so it can't slide out. I used 1/8" steel cable from lowes for the 8 guy wires. Four at the 15' mark, and four at the 8' mark. The guy wires are attached to the mast with #0 2 7/8" eye screws. On the ground, both sets of wires are anchored to the same set of four 36" long 1/2" steel spikes. I'm sure this is all overkill, but that's generally how I operate!!!

Tomorrow morning I'll hang the lights. Can't wait to see it tomorrow night!

smcurry
12-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Its up, its solid, and its a good starting point for next year. Already planning to add a few feet, and at least double the lights next year!

CaptKirk
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Looking good!!

smcurry
12-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Looking good!!

Thanks.