PDA

View Full Version : Delay between computer and lights

trcons
11-26-2012, 10:28 AM
I am getting a delay between what I see in the preview and what I actually see on the house. If I run the sequence in preview the timing is fine, when I play it on the house there is a small delay. I doubt it is a program issue, but I was wondering if there is a way to slide the whole sequence over a couple of tics. I am getting to the 3 e681s wirelessly, in other words the router is located outside computer inside e681s are connected via cat5 and no Internet access. Let me know if you think the delay is comming from the wireless connection to the computer (I can change that but prefer not to) and if there is a quick and dirty way to slide the whole sequence down the timeline to mask the delay.

Thanks,
Tom

angus40
11-26-2012, 11:10 AM
i am running directly and data is instant transfer. Soon as i hit play from mark in hls my pixels display the sequence .

I would have to say that your wireless is certainly the delay , even if measured in miliseconds there will be some delay.

tjetzer
11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I am getting a delay between what I see in the preview and what I actually see on the house. If I run the sequence in preview the timing is fine, when I play it on the house there is a small delay. I doubt it is a program issue, but I was wondering if there is a way to slide the whole sequence over a couple of tics. I am getting to the 3 e681s wirelessly, in other words the router is located outside computer inside e681s are connected via cat5 and no Internet access. Let me know if you think the delay is comming from the wireless connection to the computer (I can change that but prefer not to) and if there is a quick and dirty way to slide the whole sequence down the timeline to mask the delay.

Thanks,
Tom

I had a very similar issue although I am using Vixen. I ran a Cat5 cable from the show PC to the wireless router outside and the problem went away.

trcons
11-26-2012, 12:06 PM
I had a feeling that was it. Sure was nice to walk around with the laptop and check things though. Wired it is.

Thanks for the help guys,
Tom

Dennis Cherry
11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Are you using G or N wireless?

G might be too slow.

Found that out last year.

trcons
11-26-2012, 02:26 PM
I am using N. It worked fine last year on only one universe. This year all rgb 12 universes and there are problems. I hooked it up wired an hour ago and all the problems went away. I have heard that routers run on channels or frequencies and that they can become crowded depending on what your neighbors setup is etc. It could be something like that.

Tom

jklingert
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
You can get free software for a laptop to look at what is going on around you in wifi. It is called InSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/).

I wonder if the delays are caused by buffering of the packets by the wireless AP. There was a thread (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20895-Wireless-bridge-anyone-tried-this&p=212934#post212934) about this a while back.

kingofkya
11-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Also turning down your router power and sensitivity will help. So it cant hear as much noise. And less re-transmission of data(delay).

You most likley will need dd-wrt or another alternative firmware. i run my wifi access points at around 5-10ma. There cheap linksys ones but I have yet to have one die, and they run very close to max speed 40-50mbps. In the city:)