PDA

View Full Version : Com Port Output Issues

rklarman
11-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I have 688 total renard channels across 6 Com ports. There has been a lag on the output in both sequencer mode and scheduler mode. Sometimes the song would play ok for 30 seconds and then the lights would become delayed and channels missed. Sometimes the output would just stop entirely and the song would continue to play.

I updated to the newest release 8.D and there is no output at all. When I "Test by manually turning lights on or off" the channels respond as expected. I am going to try to remove and re-add the Com ports and then re-associate them to the universes to see if this will help.

This is my Com Port configuration:

Com 1 (physical Com Port on the motherboard, 57,600,no parity, one stop bit) Running two Ren64XCs that are daisy chained (128 total channels)
Com 3 (USB to Com Adapter, 57,600,no parity, one stop bit) Running two Ren64XCs that are daisy chained (128 total channels)
Com 4 (USB to Com Adapter, 57,600,no parity, one stop bit) Running a single Ren48lsd (48 total channels)
Com 5 (USB to Com Adapter, 57,600,no parity, one stop bit) Running a Ren64XC and a Ren24SS that are daisy chained (88 total channels)
Com 7 (Ren-W - USB explorer board, 57,600, mark parity, two stop bits) Running a Ren64XC and four Ren24SS (160 channels)
Com 8 (Ren-W - USB explorer board, 57,600, mark parity, two stop bits) Running a Ren64XC and three Ren24SS (136 channels)

rklarman
11-25-2012, 05:47 PM
I have re-set up the Com ports and re-set up the universe to com port configuration and have no output at all. I am still able to turn lights on and off using the Output test function.

Henedce
11-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Have you tried running the rens using Vixen ?
At least that would tell you if it is a hardware or software issue ..

rklarman
11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Yes they run with Vixen with no issues. The thing is that I went from 384 to 688 channels this year so my previous Vixen sequences are only using 384 channels. I added pixels this year as well as 300 more Renard channels so I wanted to make the change to a sequencer that had better pixel support.

Have you tried running the rens using Vixen ?
At least that would tell you if it is a hardware or software issue ..

JHinkle
11-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Run sequence in edit mode - engage output debug.

Stop after you see delay in lights.

Check debug file - each output package is time stamped.

You need to determine if the software is causing the delay, Window's COM driver causing the delay, or your controllers are having issues.

Joe

rklarman
11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Right now there is no output at all. The only items in the output are:

Opened 11/25/12

CloseAllComPortsTimerThread

Run sequence in edit mode - engage output debug.

Stop after you see delay in lights.

Check debug file - each output package is time stamped.

You need to determine if the software is causing the delay, Window's COM driver causing the delay, or your controllers are having issues.

Joe

JHinkle
11-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Reboot Windows.

Windows can get corupted and behave badly.

It sounds like you have issues outside of HLS.

Let me know.

Joe

rklarman
11-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I rebooted and the lights output for a few seconds and then their state doesn't change. This machine is dedicated for the show and only runs HLS.

This is what is in the Debug File

www.klarman.com/DebugOutPutDataStream.txt

Reboot Windows.

Windows can get corupted and behave badly.

It sounds like you have issues outside of HLS.

Let me know.

Joe

rklarman
11-25-2012, 07:42 PM
It looks like it may have something to do with outputting to the Ren-W's that are running on Com7 and Com8 using mark parity and two stop bits. If I remove those com ports and make them unactive the sequence runs fine. I was talking with Dave (dirknerkle) about this. He mentioned "I wonder of Joe included the "sync" byte every 100 bytes. That would make a big difference because it causes just a slight pause in the PIC16F688 as it "skips" that byte."

rklarman
11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
I was able to get the show to play fine if I did not output through Com7. I then re-enabled Com7 and only activated the first half of the channels (I moved the second half to a different universe which I left inactive). This worked fine. I added more and more channels until the problem starting happening. I was able to get 123 out of 136 enabled. When I added channel 124 then the sequence would not even output.

I have 160 channels on Com8 which are running through a Ren-W with no issues.

JHinkle
11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
I've never heard of the 100 byte sync requirement.

Please tell me about it --- ALL Renards or only certain ones.

Please inform me.

Joe

rklarman
11-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I was able to get this to work properly now after a lot of trial and error... Since the last Ren24 on Com7 seemed to be the one having the issues, I moved the Ren-W wireless receiver to this controller so it is on it's own Com Port. All of the remaining controllers I placed daisy chained with the other Ren-W receiver on Com8. I don't know if it is a problem with this controller receiving RS485 data or something else. I checked to ensure JP1 was set properly. Anyhow, Com8 has 272 channels and Com7 has 24 channels. I may build another set of Ren-Ws to split up the 272 channels.

I've never heard of the 100 byte sync requirement.

Please tell me about it --- ALL Renards or only certain ones.

Please inform me.

Joe

dirknerkle
11-25-2012, 11:21 PM
For those who are curious, here is the answer from budude going back to a couple years ago about the "extra sync byte" -- along with additional information... Turns out it's an extra PAD byte, not a sync byte.... please pardon the faulty memory of this old brain...

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?6853-Renard-protocol-questions&p=116624#post116624

JHinkle
11-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Special Thanks to Dave (dirknerkle) for the insight into padding.

Version 8E is released that adds a 7d padding byte to every 100 bytes transmitted COM-Renard.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the COM-Renard issue that has come up recently.

Joe

rklarman
11-28-2012, 10:04 PM
I am still experiencing Com Port output issues. The sequence will play partially and then output will freeze and the music will continue. When I select the option to debug output the sequence will play through fine.

JHinkle
11-28-2012, 10:15 PM
I am still experiencing Com Port output issues. The sequence will play partially and then output will freeze and the music will continue. When I select the option to debug output the sequence will play through fine.

That suggests that there may be a race/timing issue with your COM ports or hardware.

If the data is the same - the only difference is the slight delay betweem COM port writes as HLS writes the previous COM port data to the debug file.

Look at the TYPE of COM ports you are using: Chipset on mother board, add-on COM board.

If you have access to a logig analyzer, check the RS232 lines relationship to each other when it works and when it fails.

HLS is now providing padding every 100 bytes.

How many controllers do you have in series?

Let me know what you find ...

Joe

rklarman
11-28-2012, 10:35 PM
I am using an ASRock H61M-GE motherboard which has an Intel h61 chipset. That is for com 1. I have 2 prolific USB to serial adapters and a sabrent USB to serial. I also have 3 XBee radios that are connected using a USB explorer board.

There are a total of 7 com ports being used. The most controllers on a com port are 4. The most channels on a com port are 136.

I don't have a logic analyzer. Is this software or hardware?

JHinkle
11-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Set up and try using only the harsware you used last year.

If that works then one by one add/substitute the new COM ports to see where the issue begins.

Check other threads on the site - as I have read other threads (Vixen) who are also resolving COM related issues.

Joe

rklarman
11-28-2012, 11:02 PM
This is a new computer this year. I will try turning on the ports one at a time and see if I can narrow down the hardware. Are there any settings to modify in the device manager that can help? They are currently at the defaults.