PDA

View Full Version : Why almost everytime i copy an effect it never shows up.

boarder3
11-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I dont have nutcracker on my computer i use the web site. But when i check them to copy from gallery they never show up. why is that. i tried spirals bars and garland. whats the deal?

Donny M. Carter
11-23-2012, 11:01 PM
What does it say at the top of the screen after you copy the effect?

boarder3
11-23-2012, 11:17 PM
keeps telling me Sorry, didn't copy SPIRAL8 because you did not give it a new name
Effects Copied but i did give it a new name

Donny M. Carter
11-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Make sure you have no spaces in the name.

boarder3
11-23-2012, 11:29 PM
nope no spaces at all one word names

smeighan
11-24-2012, 01:03 AM
nope no spaces at all one word names

I made a quick tutorial on how to copy an effect. I logged in to your account and copied two of my effects into your account.

http://meighan.net/nutcracker/tutorials/how_to_copy_effect.mp4

thanks

boarder3
11-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks i should of said it doesnt copy all the time. I was doing it the same as the video. I had one word names too. Again thanks for making this its great.

boarder3
11-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I also copy effects now and it says it copied but there not there?

smeighan
11-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks i should of said it doesnt copy all the time. I was doing it the same as the video. I had one word names too. Again thanks for making this its great.

Just remember that the new target names need to be unique, do not duplicate existing names you already have.

We need to add this error check if you pick the same name.

it is on our to do list

boarder3
11-24-2012, 04:37 PM
no problem thing is im picking a unique nme and it tells me it copies but sometimes its not there. Before it was giving me error but there are times it doesnt and it copies but really doesnt.

prof
11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
One thingI have noticed (posted elswhere - and being looked at) is that the gallery seems to be retaining effects that have been deleted from a users library. From testing using my logon, I have 50 effects in my library, but 75 appear in the gallery. If I choose an effect that I know is deleted it says that it has been coppied but the copy does not appear in my library. Doing the same with an effect that does still exist, will creat the copy.

Prof

smeighan
11-25-2012, 12:25 AM
One thing I have noticed (posted elsewhere - and being looked at) is that the gallery seems to be retaining effects that have been deleted from a users library. From testing using my logon, I have 50 effects in my library, but 75 appear in the gallery. If I choose an effect that I know is deleted it says that it has been copied but the copy does not appear in my library. Doing the same with an effect that does still exist, will creat the copy.

Prof

The reason for this is that effects are stored in two places:

1) Effects are stored in the MySql database tables EFFECT_USER_HDR and EFFECT_USER_DTL.

2) The actual animated gifs are stored in your nutcracker/effects/workspaces/{member_id}/ directory

3) and finally the name of your animated gif is stored in the MySql table called GALLERY

Scenario:

You copy someone elses effect into your library. There are now new entries in #1,
If you now run the delete process

The cleanup old effects command under the Admin tab
http://meighan.net/nutcracker/admin/cleanup.php.

Everything is fine. This command only cleans entries from #1 above.

But what happens if you generate one of those new effects? There will be a new animated gif created (#2). A few times a week a program scans all the new gifs and makes an entry into the GALLERY table (#3).

Now if you do the delete, you get rid of the effect, but you still have the thumbnail animated gifand an entry in the gallery table.

If i get time, i will add the extra deletes to the utility.

Since having the extra animated gifs doesnt cause a problem for future effects, this is a low priority task (Read this as probably after Christmas).

I went into some detail for those of you who know sql and might want to clean stuff up on your local installs

thanks