PDA

View Full Version : Mini Trees That Store Flat!

hasoon
11-23-2012, 11:43 AM
I have very little storage at my house so everything thing I make I first have to figure out how it will be stored. So this is what I came up with for my mini-trees.

First I made an A-frames out of bamboo garden stakes and galvanized wire.

Next I covered each A-Frame with 1 string of white and 1 string of multi.

And 2 zip ties hold 2 of the A-frames together. (rear view)

Plugged in!

Come January I just have to cut 2 zip ties and stack to store.

My initial plan was to hinge the 2 in the middle, but if I left them loose enough to fold I had to add an extra support. This ended up being simpler.

rogerv
11-23-2012, 12:16 PM
How many lights have one of those strings? I like how it looks i will try this with some 100ct mini lights that I don't use. And the best thing is that is easier to do than with the tomatto cages (it's imposible to find them in spain)

dirknerkle
11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Very clever! And the bamboo garden stakes will prevent GFCI tripping, too! Well done!

Materdaddy
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I like it. They'll store even easier than the mini trees that are fairly popular that I based mine on:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?18953-MiniTree-sizes&p=191859#post191859

chelmuth
11-23-2012, 02:44 PM
No i wish i hadn't let all the trash people take my bamboo i just finished cutting down in the back yard. I think i'm gonna start a store.. Precut Bamboo for minitrees LOL.

jrock64
11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
My take on a fold flat mini tree that I have used for several years.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?16608-2-D-Folding-mini-tres&highlight=folding

Joel

hasoon
11-23-2012, 03:22 PM
How many lights have one of those strings? I like how it looks i will try this with some 100ct mini lights that I don't use. And the best thing is that is easier to do than with the tomatto cages (it's imposible to find them in spain)

There is a 100ct white incan and a 70ct. multi LED on each a-frame. The Bamboo pieces are 3ft long.

hasoon
11-23-2012, 03:35 PM
My take on a fold flat mini tree that I have used for several years.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?16608-2-D-Folding-mini-tres&highlight=folding

Joel

Actually Joe, Thank You for the inspiration! I remember studying your post when looking for ideas. I just wanted to go with something wooden instead of wire because where I live in Ohio we get mostly freezing rain in December and I had GFCI fears.

gassy
11-23-2012, 09:18 PM
You inspired me! After making arches with the bell end of 3/4" conduit I was left with a bunch a 7' pieces. I've been toying around with the idea of using them for mini trees and after seeing your post I chopped up the pieces and zipped tied them together. In one of the vertical pieces I notched in a place for a DirkCheap SSR (based on kychristimas's idea).

hasoon
11-24-2012, 09:10 AM
You inspired me! After making arches with the bell end of 3/4" conduit I was left with a bunch a 7' pieces. I've been toying around with the idea of using them for mini trees and after seeing your post I chopped up the pieces and zipped tied them together. In one of the vertical pieces I notched in a place for a DirkCheap SSR (based on kychristimas's idea).

I went back and forth between the bamboo and EMT. I thought the bamboo would look better in the daytime, but if I had extra conduit I would have certainly used it.

Nice Drill! (It looks like the same one that made an appearance in my pics) LOL