PDA

View Full Version : First Project, Window frames made with drywall edge guard

lightguylarry
11-21-2012, 11:01 PM
So this is my first project and just had to show off a little and offer it up to the group. I'm sure you guys can find improvements and tweaks, or maybe even be useful to someone else. So check it out, I got all giddy when I flipped the lights on for the first time. I don't think its possible to get it so neat without frames or some permanent attachment to the window frame.

I did the corners a variety of ways, when the window was small enough I cut out a triangle and made a single piece into an L shape to make up one half of the frame. Others I did a simple overlapping joint, some I did the overlap and bent the perpendicular side around to the second piece to help secure it. I used zipties most of the time, but did experiment with pop rivets.

I ziptied the wire to the frame and it helped with rigidity problems, but I just need the frame to hold the lights, the house will give it rigidity. I attached the first frame to the house using finishing nails and zipties. I also have thumbtacks in non-load bearing positions to hold the frame flush to the house. So far that's my hardest problem is finding ways to fasten the frame to the house without it being too visible after christmas when the frames are down.

IdunBenhad
11-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Hi:
Neat job. That looks like it should work good. I don't know what the edging costs, but it can't be too expensive.

One thing you might try to fasten the frame to the window/woodwork is double sticky tape or foam. Solves the problem of leftover holes. Another way would be to use stick-on velcro.

lightguylarry
11-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Each strip was under $2, I think 8 ft sections maybe 10. I like the velcro idea, does it hold up in the cold though? I'm in western NY so we can get pretty cold.

IdunBenhad
11-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Hi:
Can't say about the holding qualities of velcro in the cold, but I would think it is probably OK. Once it is in place, there shouldn't be too much problem.

I live in Yuma, AZ and the last time it got down to freezing was about 4 or 5 years ago! Usually it is about 40-50 or so at night when the lights are on.

I have used sticky velcro in the car and motorhome and it seems to hold up OK, even in the cooler weather.

dirknerkle
11-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Clever use of materials! This idea could work for most any kind of string lights.

BrianJ
11-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Velcro will hold in the cold, the issue with that is that if it gets some moisture in it and freezes there will be no separating it until it thaws.

EMKLLK
11-23-2012, 12:12 PM
The Velcro may hold, but the sticky stuff connecting Velcro to your house may not. Last year I used some of that, and I had things falling down regularly,so had to move to more permanent ideas. Probably it depends on the surface, I was trying to fasten to brick. Just saying to be careful, maybe use a lot, or even the entire outline rather than small sections of Velcro. Good luck!

kingofkya
11-23-2012, 12:58 PM
I am doing something very simmaler. with drywall edging.

Making (parts still sitting in the garage) 8ft flood lights. flooding the house from the sides rather than from the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Permanent-Outdoor-Mounting-4011-LONG/dp/B000BL5INM/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1353690042&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=3M+Scotch+Exterior+Mounting

this stuff works great a brick and stucco.

Bob Moody
12-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Neat Idea !!!
I made my frames out of PVC and tie-wrapped the lights ... and press fit them in to the window frame ..
However, I did this when the temps were in the 80's. Found out that when the temps drop, the PVC shrinks and they fall out ... Not to fear .. The top of our window casings have a steel plate across and under the brick.. strip a couple of dead hard drives and pull the magnets out of them and "CLICK" they dont move any more...

Word of caution.. DO NOT get your finger between the magnet and the metal .. those things have some bite !!

Bob

KeithW
12-27-2012, 05:04 AM
hmmm..sounds low-tech, but what about wood shims? Might be enough for drywall frames with their slight angle (break/cut off excess) but for pvc might cut own with steeper angle