PDA

View Full Version : Moving HLS from one computer to another

rfallatt
11-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Well I got a show computer and installed HLS... all is good when I make a sequence from the show computer.
I copied all my files (same structure and folders) from my other computer (laptop) to the show computer and it will not run them. As I mentioned above it will run any program I make on the show computer but it will not run files made on another computer

Can you explicitly spell out 1. What files I need to transfer and 2 Where should these files be located.

I also note that all the new sequences are saving to the HLS folder, I forget how to get them to save to a separate location

Edit: I am running Windows XP

gassy
11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Could it have something to do with the output settings between the computers, mainly the COM port setting?

cnbales
11-20-2012, 08:15 AM
I would love to know this as well. I have sequences from two different laptops that will go onto the show computer.

rfallatt
11-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Could it have something to do with the output settings between the computers, mainly the COM port setting?
I cant even get the sequence to load.

JHinkle
11-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm driving to Mich today so I'm off line until tomorrow.

The answer depends if you are going to do any development .....

This asnswer is just for SHOW. No sequence development.

HLS folder - HLS.exe and the 3 dlls.
In the folder "ExportFiles" - your show and playlist files.

Place your sequence audio (dot PCM) file in the same folder location as it was on the development computer. I don't think I made a Load Audio if the PCM file can not be fould. I'll do that later this week if it's not there.

If you don't know the path ... open your "Output" file (dot hlsldata) - it is a xml file. The path for the PCM file is stated. Make sure you don't SAVE from the program you viewed with (like notepad or such). They sometimes cause line wrap or terminate lines early -- that would really mess things up.

As a comment - HLS does NOT need a "Show" computer persay. I see that phrase used a lot with Vixen to get a BIG machine with lots of memory. HLS can run any show on 2 to 4 gig with no problem.

Angus40 (Rich) ran a length show, surfed the Internet, and played a movie for his Son - all from the same 4 gig computer.

So ... you only need a SHOW computer if the computer needs to be physically located somewhere else.

Joe

Now - you can play a specific playlist or run a show.

Again - no development - as that would require the sequence file and related database files.

injury
11-20-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't think I made a Load Audio if the PCM file can not be fould. I'll do that later this week if it's not there.

It does ask if you try to load a sequence for editing and it can't find the pcm audio.

rfallatt
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
As a comment - HLS does NOT need a "Show" computer persay. I see that phrase used a lot with Vixen to get a BIG machine with lots of memory. HLS can run any show on 2 to 4 gig with no problem.

Angus40 (Rich) ran a length show, surfed the Internet, and played a movie for his Son - all from the same 4 gig computer.

So ... you only need a SHOW computer if the computer needs to be physically located somewhere else.

Joe

Joe,
My show computer is a computer that I only use for a show, it is permanently hooked up to the lights and is only used for lights (I plan on keeping lights up all year). I may do other things like surf for updates or check in here, but that computer is dedicated to the show and is located in my garage. I would like to sequence on my laptop while traveling and watching TV and possibly sequence at the show computer also (if possible), but I cannot and do not want to use my laptop for running the show. therefore I have to be able to move the files.

I am not at home how I will check it tonight.

kingofkya
11-20-2012, 02:13 PM

So i should break out that pentum 2 laptop I got. and it should run fine:)
I woundn't be surprised if it did just fine.

( It ran vixen last year on it and its was just fine 16 channels or so. i cheated bit by using win 2000 though)

BrianJ
11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Edited from Joe's reply

This asnswer is just for SHOW. No sequence development.

HLS folder - HLS.exe and the 3 dlls.
In the folder "ExportFiles" - your show and playlist files.

Place your sequence audio (dot PCM) file in the same folder location as it was on the development computer. I don't think I made a Load Audio if the PCM file can not be fould. I'll do that later this week if it's not there.

If you don't know the path ... open your "Output" file (dot hlsldata) - it is a xml file. The path for the PCM file is stated. Make sure you don't SAVE from the program you viewed with (like notepad or such). They sometimes cause line wrap or terminate lines early -- that would really mess things up.

Now - you can play a specific playlist or run a show.

Again - no development - as that would require the sequence file and related database files.

so you need:
an installed HLS
show and playlist files from your sequencing computers HLS export files folder
and a copy of your music (.pcm) in the same location as it was on the sequencing computer. ie. C - hls - wav - mymusicfile.pcm

When I am starting a new sequence I always make a folder in HLS with the sequence name and a copy pf the wave file in it then create the new sequence with that copy of the music and save it in the same folder. The pcm version of the music is then created in the folder as well so if I want to sequence on a seperate pc I only need to copy that folder over to a second machine. If I was using a seperate machine for show PC I would copy over that folder because it has the pcm file in it, and the show / playlist files or I could create the show and playlist files on the show pc from the sequence folder

trcons
11-24-2012, 07:56 AM
I am in the same boat, I travel a lot. I would like to be able to sequence on my laptop when I am on trips, and drop them on the home computer when I get back.

Thanks,
Tom

Henedce
11-24-2012, 08:15 AM
I transfer from PC to PC all the time with no problems , I just have to reselect the PCM file each time and redo all the outputs .
Until today I have had no issues . Wonder if that is causing my Renard problems ....

JHinkle
11-25-2012, 12:04 PM
I added an auto search path for the audio file in 8D.

This way, if you move your show to another computer - just put the audio.pcm file in the HLS folder or in the folder containing your sequence.

Joe

trcons
11-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks Joe, I will give it a try today.

Tom

Henedce
11-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Since you made this change it now goes looking for the PCM file as it is loading for a show .
It stalls the show until you point HLS to the PCM file. Each time the same sequence starts it stalls again witing to be pointed towards the PCM file.
Previously it asked once when 1st opening a sequence once moved only.

JHinkle
11-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Henedce:

The change should not have changed the way it worked negatively as you described.

HLS encodes the audio location in the SHOW Playlist file.

When you move the show to another computer you had to recreate the exact same path or I would ask you for the path.

I pondered on this and realized that asking for a audio pather every time the sequence is play in a show is unacceptable (if the user failed to place audio where it was required).

The original process was see if audio was located where the Show Playlist said it was. If not - ASK.

NOW --- if it is not when the PlayList says it is - try the current directory. If still not found - try the directory the HLS file was executed from - if still not found ---- ASK.

I considered this to be a good solution as the user only needs to place all audio.pcm file in the show HLS directory and all PlayLists in the Export folder under the HLS directory.

Is that not the behavior you are seeing?

Thanks.

Joe

angus40
11-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Joe

if hls created all the .pcm files within the hls folder would this solve this ?

I am curious why users would want to have stray file locations for hls related files.

I can understand bitmap images being used fom say the picture folder , but i think it would be best if all related to hls be kept within the hls folder itself .

Would this not make using hls portable . ie pc - pc ?

Has anyone tried installing hls on a usb drive ?.... maybe i will load the latest version to a usb for a goof .

Henedce
11-26-2012, 08:52 PM
I copy and paste my whole HLS folder from one pc to the other not just internal files so not sure why it asks at all .
PCM files are in the sequence folder for each sequence(just double checked).
I create the output files and show on the show computer after I move the files.
Think I worked out what I did differently but now having other problems.

Henedce
11-26-2012, 09:00 PM
What I did differently was not output from edit mode which was pointing the sequence to the PCM.
Now though if I tryand output on the show computer it says "there does not appear to be a dimming curve file".
Then if I remove that reset all outputs . each time i check the output box it says "cannot output as outputs not configured properly"
HLS then froze , could select boxes etc but couldnt play song or anything else . Closed HLS and reopened , now the sequence file is gone .

Henedce
11-26-2012, 09:25 PM
OK I removed the dimming curves to bypass that error.
Opened HLS loaded the sequence , outputted in edit mode all with no problem.
Compiled the export file and made a playlist. When I select play specific list or create and start a show I get the following. Same thing every time the sequence starts as per earlier post.

JHinkle
11-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Joe

if hls created all the .pcm files within the hls folder would this solve this ?

I am curious why users would want to have stray file locations for hls related files.

I can understand bitmap images being used fom say the picture folder , but i think it would be best if all related to hls be kept within the hls folder itself .

Would this not make using hls portable . ie pc - pc ?

Has anyone tried installing hls on a usb drive ?.... maybe i will load the latest version to a usb for a goof .

The recommended practice is to make a unique folder for each sequence.

PCM for the sequence is stored within the sequence folder.

JHinkle
11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
OK I removed the dimming curves to bypass that error.
Opened HLS loaded the sequence , outputted in edit mode all with no problem.
Compiled the export file and made a playlist. When I select play specific list or create and start a show I get the following. Same thing every time the sequence starts as per earlier post.

Where is SantaClausTown.PCM located?

You did not bring the "DimmingCurve" folder to the show computer - so the curves were not found.

Joe

Henedce
11-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Where is SantaClausTown.PCM located?

Joe

All files for the sequence are located in one folder MariahCarey_Santa_Town.
Out of curiosity I moved the PCM file to the root folder and that fixes the issue

JHinkle
11-26-2012, 10:12 PM
The complete path to the PCM file is saved in the playlist file.

Just moving the folder does not work unless the path is exactly the same.

That is why I added the test for the PCM file in the root HLS folder - as you found works nicely.

Joe