PDA

View Full Version : How do I think about MegaTree Pixel strings that are ZigZag via E681?

ibby
11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I am building a MegaTree with 8 Strings of 50 pixels that will be folded in half, 25 pixels per zigzag (so 16 virtual strands of 25 pixels). How do I think about this in HLS? This is 400 pixel. Do you create a "new string" of 25 via a pixel plane? Can a Pixel be in multiple pixel planes? I was hoping to convert my old renard incann light show (that has propeller, radar spins) into pixels. I was hoping to also use nutcracker, i have the same brain block.

Any help would be welcomed. I just keep staring at my lights thinking "how do I start this....."

injury
11-19-2012, 12:20 AM
If manually doing effects I would use segments, especially now that we can have the same channel in multiple segments.

So if I was doing a verticle light or chase straight up and down each strand, I'd make a segment for each virtual strand. If I wanted to do horizontal banding I'd make segments for each horizontal row of pixels (or groupings). If I was going for diagonal effects I'd make a segment with those as well (left and right direction).

Crude illustration

1 10 11
2 9 12
3 8 13
4 7 14
5 6 15

Verticle Left to Right - 3 segments seg a) 1 2 3 4 5 seg b) 10 9 8 7 6 seg c) 11 12 13 14 15 (we reverse order due to the zig zag layout so chases won't run opposite every other strand)
Horizontal Top Down - 5 segments seg a) 1 10 11 seg b) 2 9 12 seg c) 3 8 13 seg d) 4 7 14 seg e) 5 6 15
Diagonal Left Top Down - 7 segments seg a) 1 seg b) 10 2 seg c) 11 9 3 seg d) 12 8 4 seg e) 13 7 5 seg f) 14 6 seg g) 15

Doing the segments like that plus any other combination you can think of and saving them to a layout library allows you to do it once and then load up the segment you want like a channel and sequence like it's normal strand. You could do the same thing without segments and just using a bunch of display groups and changing the order but I find it a bit faster when I want to light a whole segment at once this way then you can still expand the segment and do individual pixels.

As far as nutcracker unless using user defined effects not much to think about after you create your tree model and verify the numbering in the matrix it creates is correct. Import into HLS and either drop it onto the natural ordered RGB pixels (what I do) or make it a pixel plane.

If your old show happened to be in Vixen I'd import it and make up some segments so the layout looked similar then just copy the on/off ramp data and add some colors.

jstjohnz
11-19-2012, 05:50 AM
You can use the zigzag command on the E681 and the controller will re-map the pixels for you. Example ZIGZAG 1,25 will tell the controller that the strings on cluster 1 zigzag every 25 pixels.