PDA

View Full Version : Well , I just toasted my 595 I just got ... HELP

TERBObob
01-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok , as stated above , I toasted the 595 board . All the chips just got hotter than hot .
Soooo ...
Now , I need to know where , and the part numbers , where I can get new chips ( and also , if anyone thinks the resistors went as well )

JaysonH
01-19-2008, 09:04 PM
I'll bite. How did you go about doing that? Sorry to hear that it happened.

TERBObob
01-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Guess hooking up the pin configuration from the Rj45 to the DB25 wrong ?
Only thing I did wrong ( I think .... since there are more than one way to hook them up - and in the WIKI it tells you color coding , which was also not the way mine was/is . )

JaysonH
01-19-2008, 11:39 PM
First step of course before fixing the broken unit is finding the cause of it having broke. ;)

Do you have the ability to take pictures? Take pictures of the RJ45 end of the cable (I'm assuming you just took a patch panel cable and chopped one end off of it to then install the DB25 to that end) so the colors can be seen. Perhaps a second set of eyes for you.

So the CAT5 isn't following the GOBR (green, orange, blue, brown) standard?

RavingLunatic
01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I would think the only way to smoke the chips like that would be either to have the 5 VDC and GND reversed or have the 5 VDC shorted to GND.

I had a Ren-64 that one of the outputs to the SSRs had a short between 5 VDC and GND and the PIC controlling it got real hot and the pcb started to smoke before I caught it. Lucky for me nothing was damaged too much.

You definitely need to get your multimeter out and check your wiring and your board for shorts or mis-wires.

TERBObob
01-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Sorry , the cam I have is far from good enough to take pics that clear .
but , from what I can see , here is the order :
having the front that inserts into the female end facing away from you going left to right:

white/orange
orange
white/green
blue
green
white/brown
brown

And , from what I know ... the number one would be the white/orange and number two - orange , and so on and so forth .

that is why I inquired earlier , but there are a few different pinouts out there and guess I chose the wrong one to try :cry:

What I did was not follow color coding , but rather pins to pins

PARALLEL RJ45
1 5
2 8
14 7
18 3

5 volt was hooked into externally from the PS from the computers regulated 5 volt supply line.
When I first hooked it up , all the LEDs lit up ( power and all for the ouput to the SSR cat connectors , then , they kinda went out in groups of aprox 6
And what I did for the parallel side was check each pin thru continuity test to make sure I had the correct wire for the correct pin .
Pin1 = black wire
Pin 2 = black/white wire
Pin 14 = pinkish wire
Pin 18 = yellow wire
when viewing the DB 25 facing you , pin 1 is top left widest point .

P. Short
01-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Two different standards - Cat5 vs Cat5e, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

--

Phil

acewingman
01-20-2008, 12:45 AM
You may of had pin 1 on the RJ45 tied to 5 volts and also had 5 volts from the computers power supply on P1 of the circuit board at the same time.

TERBObob
01-20-2008, 12:50 AM
You may of had pin 1 on the RJ45 tied to 5 volts and also had 5 volts from the computers power supply on P1 of the circuit board at the same time.

Nope ... no connection to pin1 on the RJ45

Two different standards - Cat5 vs Cat5e, see
So , from my reading though , there should ot have been any difference , since I went via the pinouts , not the colors .

daviddth
01-20-2008, 01:00 AM
I'd start by pulling the chips all out, checking the wiring for shorts in the signal cable.

Then check the board for soldering shorts, especially between pins (I usually scrub my board (no chips in it of course) with a firm toothbrush to get rid of any loose dobs of solder I may have inadvertantly dropped on it.

Put one pair of chips in, confirming the pin 1 location and then power up the board. Check the chip temps for the next 5 mins of power on. If they are OK, connect up the signal cable to the board only (not the PC) and wait. Check chips for 5 mins.

Then connect to the PC and see how the chips are. If they are ok set up an 8 channel sequence in Vixen & give it a run. If it works, power down & add the next 2 chips & repeat until the board is populated and working, or you find a bad chip etc.

JaysonH
01-20-2008, 01:01 AM
My recommendation. Get a male DB25 connector from Radio Shack. It will come with a cover to where you would solder to its leads (it looks like metal which would make for a great ground shielding - but its metlastic instead). Sounds as though you hacked a printer cable. I was going to go this route as well though it drove me nuts trying to find the proper pinout. I swear that some wires went to more than one lead on the thing.

I've yet to see a non-clear RJ45 head, so its always best to look to see what color is going to which pin. As Phil pointed out there is the A/B standard. Then there is a cross-over cable, which depending on which end you chop off, will determine which pin is what or more accurately, which wire is which pin. Basically with a cross-over one end uses the A standard and the other end is the B standard.

Fun stuff eh? :) Use the Cat5(e) cable you have and get yourself that DB25 at Rat Shack, save yourself some trouble. If you arent using a hacked up printer cable, well..

daviddth
01-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Oh and use a multimeter to check the signal cable has been wired up correctly, rather than colors or numbers

JaysonH
01-20-2008, 01:03 AM
I'd start by pulling the chips all out, checking the wiring for shorts in the signal cable.

Then check the board for soldering shorts, especially between pins (I usually scrub my board (no chips in it of course) with a firm toothbrush to get rid of any loose dobs of solder I may have inadvertantly dropped on it.

Put one pair of chips in, confirming the pin 1 location and then power up the board. Check the chip temps for the next 5 mins of power on. If they are OK, connect up the signal cable to the board only (not the PC) and wait. Check chips for 5 mins.

Then connect to the PC and see how the chips are. If they are ok set up an 8 channel sequence in Vixen & give it a run. If it works, power down & add the next 2 chips & repeat until the board is populated and working, or you find a bad chip etc.

I think he purchased this board from Mudsculpter bro. The soldering is probably good to go, though good advice on checking the IC's.

TERBObob
01-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Ok ... I planned on just getting one of those pre-made deals from MOUSER ... but when I order it , I want to order the chips as well . ( I did not build this , I purchased it from a member here and he stated it worked fine - I am not doubting it , more than likely I messed up somewhere )
I now , just need to know what the part numbers are for the chips .

Thanks

RavingLunatic
01-20-2008, 01:11 AM
The BOM for the Olsen is in the wiki:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=64_Channel_Olsen_595_Controller_Pa rts_List

The chips are:
511-M74HC595
511-ULN2803A

When you applied power did the power LED come on? Simple question I know but I gotta ask.

JaysonH
01-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Pre-made deal from Mouser? Link to that please.

Also, try to test the chips once the cable situation is worked out. You may not need all 16 IC's. Though to answer your question:

511-M74HC595
511-ULN2803A

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Olsen_595

JaysonH
01-20-2008, 01:13 AM
The BOM for the Olsen is in the wiki:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=64_Channel_Olsen_595_Controller_Pa rts_List

The chips are:
511-M74HC595
511-ULN2803A

When you applied power did the power LED come on? Simple question I know but I gotta ask.

Yeah bro, its up there somewhere that the LED's lit up when he applied the 5v.

daviddth
01-20-2008, 01:14 AM
I think he purchased this board from Mudsculpter bro. The soldering is probably good to go, though good advice on checking the IC's.

Probably be ok then, but it could have been sat on a little ball of solder, etc, so at least a check is in order, but since he didnt solder it himself then it should be OK as it was said to be working.

When I made my lead I ended up cutting one end off the cat 5 cable & soldering it to the DB25 as it was the only easy way to do it. No messy color issues then... Pin X is (look) yep that goes here, solder, repeat, check, then use.

TERBObob
01-20-2008, 02:16 AM
When I made my lead I ended up cutting one end off the cat 5 cable & soldering it to the DB25 as it was the only easy way to do it. No messy color issues then... Pin X is (look) yep that goes here, solder, repeat, check, then use.
yes , that is basically what I did , and I used heatsink to ensure no chance of shorts after soldering .

Pre-made deal from Mouser? Link to that please.

No premade from MOUSER ... another member . ( sorry if this was misunderstood .

yes , this particular power led is red and it came on , as did the rest of them as well , only difference , the others came on in groups ( aprox 6 or os at a time , followed by another 6 or so , and it continued that way till they all were lit )

Thank you for the numbers

daviddth
01-20-2008, 03:27 AM
the others came on - that sounds like eithor a cable problem OR interference. The 595's are really prone to things like lightswitches or motors being turned on causing them to receive a signal and that eventually will cause all the LED's to light (and lights connected to the SSR boards to light as well.

When I power my 595's up they usually have about 50% lit. If I dont have it connected to a computer (i.e. the cable just connected to the 595, then in <60 seconds they are usually all lit. At that stage the output chips actually do get warm from the current draw of all the LED's.

I ended up dropping the voltage to the LED's to about 2.5V as the standard setup ended up sinking about 100mA into the chip even without the Opto's connected. Easy mod for me as my LED's were not on the board like yours are.

jensen1080
01-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Not sure why my posts are coming up from DSHARP ... but anyway ...
Thanks for all the info . After I get my new chips and DB25 to RJ45 connector , I will post and let you all know the outcome .
Thanks

Ohboy .... now after posting , I notice , I am now a SITE ADMIN ????
BRIAN , HELP ..... LOL

TERBObob
01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
LOL ... now they're coming up as JENSEN1080....
Hope Brian gets this fixed .
:(

dnesci
01-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, I hate to say it, but I did the same thing the first time I built a Grinch. My problem was that I swithced the power and Gnd for the power I took from the computer. The power shoted with the pin25 connection from the parallel port and not only fried the chip on the Grinch, but also smoked the RJ45 connector on the board.

After correcting your problem. Test wih only a couple of chips so as to not smoke them all.

Wombat
01-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I would like a Dollar for every 595 chip ive fried. I got a huge pile of them that have turned thier pins up

Wombat

jstlucas
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Ok , as stated above , I toasted the 595 board . All the chips just got hotter than hot .

Ouch. Did you have any ssr boards hooked up? I had a shorted cable in an ethernet line to a ssr board and my chips starting heating up real hot. (only on the shorted cable area though). They seemed to survive though because I caught it fast enough.
Good luck.

Creg
01-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Any chance you hooked it up to +12V instead of +5 from the computer?

daviddth
01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I would like a Dollar for every 595 chip ive fried. I got a huge pile of them that have turned thier pins up

Wow, I have been lucky so far then :) I do have a number of spares tho thanks to a botched futurlec order

BillAd
01-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Any chance by mistake you sent 12 volts down the line instead of 5?

Bill

Edit: just saw the above post, sorry

michaelc
02-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Where's the WHITE/GREEN wire? You only listed 3.5 pairs. You did not list a wire.