PDA

View Full Version : Soldering complete, now I have a question...

Strother85
11-16-2012, 02:22 AM
I admit that the extent of my soldering has typically been on joining two wires in a car, fixing cords, etc. The soldering of components on a pcb is a new thing for me in the past couple months. I am noticing as I am mounting these in boxes that the majority of my solder points go all the way through from the rear to the front and up onto the component wire....but some of them do not. The ones that do not come to the surface and stop. Is this going to be a problem? If so should I fix it now before putting these to full time use? If so, how so?

PS I made sure that I heated each point enough so that I was able to watch the solder "wick" in or "take the solder". Maybe I just did not add enough solder on some?

Thanks

macebobo
11-16-2012, 02:27 AM
It should be okay. Just be careful to not apply too much excess heat as some of the components we use are very heat sensitive. If you can take a high quality picture and attach it, we will probably be able to give you a more definitive answer.

-- John

Strother85
11-16-2012, 02:50 AM
I will try to get a pic uploaded. It seems as though the points I am talking about seems to just be on maybe 10% of the resistor solder points. Coincidence?

Materdaddy
11-16-2012, 04:18 AM
It's likely fine since you mentioned adding enough to see it wick on one side. I have a handful of solder joints that only wicked on one side because I didn't add enough. As long as you didn't "move" the part too much as it cooled and the part and pad were both hot enough when the solder flowed, you should be fine. Pics would still be nice. Also, if you did a bit of testing, that confidence shouldn't be shaken because there isn't a lot of solder on the top side of the board for a few components.

rstehle
11-16-2012, 10:39 AM
It is not uncommor for solder to wick to the top side of the board when soldering resistors. But it does signal a bit of excess heat. As mentioned, some of the parts, particularly the oscillator, are rather heat sensitive, so take care not to overheat them. What temp are you using to solder your small components?

Utimgr
11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Typically these days the holes are plated thru, so if there is a trace on the top side, the plating will allow the connection to be active. The only time I make sure the solder wicks up is on power connections (regulators, relays, connectors) to ensure maximum current transfer. So otherwise, if the solder is a nice cup, and looks shiny (except if its lead free...ick) then your in good shape.

Strother85
11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Currently trying to find where the wife or kids put our camera! :huh: I thought it would be O.K. but I have watched so many soldering videos, in particular Wayne's video(like 12 times lol), and many including Wayne's states that a quality of a good solder joint is a cone on the back and a "wick through" to the top up onto the component lead. When I noticed a few areas that had not done this it shook my confidence a bit, first year...first time soldering pcb, etc. I'll get that pic soon enough. By the way, I have been using size 32, 60/40, and a 675 temp(temp is what wayne recommended in video so I went with it).