PDA

View Full Version : Random Wont Lock

szaske
11-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Steps to repro:

1. Create a new sequence (25ms, no audio).
2. Apply a layout (not sure number of channels matter, but my layout is 536 RGB channels)
3. Create a custom effect that includes 15 tick ramp up, 100 tick level and 15 tick ramp down
4. Select all of the sequence and all of the channels and apply your custom effect. Make it random filled 35%, with random intensity. This will fill your sequence with your custom effect.

I'm not sure why you limit the ability to place random effects at 35%, but I wanted to fill about 70% of my sequence with my custom effect, so I...

5. Select all of the sequence and all of the channels again and applied my custom effect. Make it random filled 35%, with random intensity.

This time I got an error dialog box that reads "Random Won't Lock". Actually I get a long series of these dialog boxes...and then I have to kill the HLS process.

-=Steve

angus40
11-15-2012, 06:20 AM
when you placed the first custom effect @ 35% did you select the entire grid ?

the custom effect is grouped , try ungrouping it before you apply the second custom effect @35%

JHinkle
11-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Steps to repro:

1. Create a new sequence (25ms, no audio).
2. Apply a layout (not sure number of channels matter, but my layout is 536 RGB channels)
3. Create a custom effect that includes 15 tick ramp up, 100 tick level and 15 tick ramp down
4. Select all of the sequence and all of the channels and apply your custom effect. Make it random filled 35%, with random intensity. This will fill your sequence with your custom effect.

I'm not sure why you limit the ability to place random effects at 35%, but I wanted to fill about 70% of my sequence with my custom effect, so I...

5. Select all of the sequence and all of the channels again and applied my custom effect. Make it random filled 35%, with random intensity.

This time I got an error dialog box that reads "Random Won't Lock". Actually I get a long series of these dialog boxes...and then I have to kill the HLS process.

-=Steve

Steve:

The software behaves as designed.

Your expectations are the issue.

Random is NOT a 70% fill.

Random is HLS's implementation of what other sequencers call Twinkle.

When you place a Random effect request - or any effect for that matter - sanity (and proper behavior from the user) assumes you are asking the tool to place the effect on a UN_USED selection of canvas.

Your statement above clearly states you are attempting to place effects multiple times in the same space.

THIS request is not allowed as the error message is telling you.

There is NO one button 70% FILL command as it appears you are looking for.

As you stated in other posts - you are new to this hobby.

PLEASE pick LSP or Vixen - take time and Learn the tool - how it works - why it works the way it does - and then use the tool within the limits the tool was designed for.

Most all of your posts are about how the TOOLs do not do what YOU want them to do so there must be a problem with the tool - not the understaning level of the user.

I suspect if you had the same passion towards cars as you do this NEW hobby - Ford or GM would get posts complaining that their cars can't reach 55 mph in reverse :)

I hope you are able to accomplish the sequence of your dreams for this coming holiday season - but you need to pick a software package (Vixen or LSP) and learn how it use it correctly it.

Joe