PDA

View Full Version : Stripping and connecting wire

Virtus
11-13-2012, 07:31 PM
This is the fastest way I have found to prepare SPT wire to insert into screw down terminals. The trick was to over strip the insulation and leave it in place while tinning. This eliminated the fraying that was frustrating me.

4586shaggy
11-13-2012, 07:38 PM
looks good to me. nice and clean, and photo's even look professional. nice to see other ocd people like me :-p

CaptKirk
11-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Thank you for this great tip!

Virtus
11-13-2012, 07:48 PM
These are the additional photos of the process. I tin one conductor, flip it and repeat. So one is on top and one is on the bottom.

CaptKirk
11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Huh. Normally when you tin a lead you tin all the strands in the wire, rather than just a blob on one side. I'm not sure you are accomplishing any real degree of tinning. IMHO just twisting the wires would be more effective of preventing "runaway" strands that can cause shorting.

jchuchla
11-13-2012, 08:33 PM
FYI (hope i don't start the big battle, it's generally a better long term electrical connection to NOT tin wires. Solder has a tendancy to compress and walk over time when under a screw terminal, and can work itself loose. It's actually a better mechanical ane electrical connection to just put the copper under the screw terminal (or crimp terminal). I've done far too many service calls on old sound system installations for intermittent problems, and found soldered and screwed connetions that needed tightening.
That being said, that generally applies to permenant installations. It's much less relevant for our temporary setups. For our hobby, the convienence of tinned wires probably far outweighs the potential for connections loosening over several years. Though if these are short pigtails on a board where they stay attached for years, and get moved in and out of boxes every year, you might be better off soldering the tails to the board and eliminating the screw terminals altogether. And don't forget your strain relief!

ags0000
11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
How about soldering a tip onto the wire and then compress that in the screw terminal?

jpb
11-13-2012, 11:18 PM
FYI (hope i don't start the big battle, it's generally a better long term electrical connection to NOT tin wires. Solder has a tendancy to compress and walk over time when under a screw terminal, and can work itself loose. It's actually a better mechanical ane electrical connection to just put the copper under the screw terminal (or crimp terminal). I've done far too many service calls on old sound system installations for intermittent problems, and found soldered and screwed connetions that needed tightening.
That being said, that generally applies to permenant installations. It's much less relevant for our temporary setups. For our hobby, the convienence of tinned wires probably far outweighs the potential for connections loosening over several years. Though if these are short pigtails on a board where they stay attached for years, and get moved in and out of boxes every year, you might be better off soldering the tails to the board and eliminating the screw terminals altogether. And don't forget your strain relief!

I was taught a similar thing. Tinning is okay for temporary connections but not recomended for permanent installations.

Jon