PDA

View Full Version : How to sequence slow color transforms in HLS?

szaske
11-13-2012, 04:56 AM
I've got a very slow version of silent night that I'd like to sequence for my Christmas display this year. I'm visualizing a color transitions on the beats to the music...color transitions like LightShow Pro can do. I REALLY love how LSP has the ability to do transitions across the "Stage" that is all of your lights...and the lights get affected according to their location in your layout NOT by where the row appears in the sequencing list. What options do I have in HLS? I see that HLS has the ability to apply gradients either vertically or horizontally in your sequencing list. Is they any other interesting color transitions people have discovered? Do you have videos demo'ing the effect/transition?

What is this Pixel Plane feature? Is this importing an effect built in Nutcracker? I'm wondering if I can use nutcracker to build a cool color transition effect and then somehow copy/paste that into various locations in my sequence.

-=Steve

injury
11-13-2012, 05:34 AM
One way I did slower color transitions in a song was using an over control. Lay one color down, then select that effect (remember ctrl click to select first frame of an element if you don't want to move it) and hit O. Then you can pick your end color and check the box just to shift color.

Pixel Planes can be nutcracker, or ones you make in HLS, or your own text file creation from what ever program method you like. Under video training if you go to Joe's youtube channel and Angus' Vimeo channels there are different training videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYFjmsZwAE&feature=plcp is Joe's first Pixel Plane video there is a follow up as well in his channel. I admit I don't use Pixel Plane channels mostly because from how I understand the video description you can't really "massage" what's under them channel by channel, though the ability to alter playback speed of the effect does seem nice. The alternate way to insert from nutcracker is set your start flag for the music and under the Pixel Plane menu click "Drop Pixel Plane onto RGB Channels". On Angus' Vimeo channel one of his videos where it shows creating your own Pixel Plane he describes how to drop onto RGB.

JHinkle
11-13-2012, 07:34 AM
For those wanting color shifts in HLS .....

I look at the starting color (RGB) and the ending color (RGB) and adjust each color (R - G - B) to change incrementally from start value to end value over the time cells requested.

Most may pick colors that only affect two of the RGB colors ... say shift from RED to BLUE. This shift will miss a whole spectrum of colors involving any tint of GREEN.

Try this the next time you want a wide range color shift --- use the custom color picker and make sure starting and ending values of COLOR have a different R, G, B value for start and end --- then your shift will include color shift across all three.

THIS process would make a RED to BLUE impossible (need a Green component at start or end) .... so I was considering making a change to my shift process that would double rate change the unused color over that period of time ... (example - shift red to blue) ..... start at red --- then red - green as green built up and red decayed --- half way through the shift time frame - green would max and then start to decay so that at the end you only had blue ....)

If I did it - I would let you chose which version to use (in the example above --- NO shifting of green --- OR ---- green shift from 0 to 100 and back to 0 while the onthers shifted).

I've not done it yet --- what do you think?

Joe

BrianJ
11-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I vote yes. The more choices we have in sequencing the better it is. Thanks Joe, I am looking forward to testing this one out :)

injury
11-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Assuming you are using HSV to calculate out the shifting you could do like I do in one of my scripts. Calculate out the fades both forwards and backwards default is the lesser steps but have a variable in there to go the longer way.

n_gifford
11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
For those wanting color shifts in HLS .....

I look at the starting color (RGB) and the ending color (RGB) and adjust each color (R - G - B) to change incrementally from start value to end value over the time cells requested.

Most may pick colors that only affect two of the RGB colors ... say shift from RED to BLUE. This shift will miss a whole spectrum of colors involving any tint of GREEN.

Try this the next time you want a wide range color shift --- use the custom color picker and make sure starting and ending values of COLOR have a different R, G, B value for start and end --- then your shift will include color shift across all three.

THIS process would make a RED to BLUE impossible (need a Green component at start or end) .... so I was considering making a change to my shift process that would double rate change the unused color over that period of time ... (example - shift red to blue) ..... start at red --- then red - green as green built up and red decayed --- half way through the shift time frame - green would max and then start to decay so that at the end you only had blue ....)

If I did it - I would let you chose which version to use (in the example above --- NO shifting of green --- OR ---- green shift from 0 to 100 and back to 0 while the onthers shifted).

Joe

For anyone that would like to accomplish this in the mean time, it could obviously be done by adding a second color shift. For instance:

Instead of a shift from red to blue over 10 time ticks, you could shift from red to orange over 5 then orange to blue over five. More work, but would accomplish the same thing until the functionality could be implemented in HLS.

Personally, while I agree that more options are definitely in everyone's favor, I'm not sure how much I'd use this. When I shift colors, I like to see the spectrum of colors that are made up by the start and end colors. In the red to blue example, I would prefer to see them mix in the middle to create shades of purple. While adding green into the mix creates a cool effect, it doesn't look like a true morph from red to blue. Make sense?

cnbales
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
I would use this. This is one of the features that I miss about LSP.

szaske
11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Joe

Joe, although an interesting idea I'm not interested in what you are proposing. Like you, I'd prefer to just see a RED-PURPLE-BLUE transition.

Here is the idea I had for my sequence and the problem I think I'm going to run into; the song is Silent Night, and has a very slow/sleepy tempo. On the beats I want to sort of "squirt" color onto my layout. So for example say all the lights are white, and on the word "Night" I want to squirt red onto the 33rd pixel in a string of 50. I want the red color to spread like the ripples of a pond, down the row and to other strings in my layout. HLS lets me do gradients horizontally and vertically, but I believe I need gradients moving in a diagonal path. Since HLS cannot do gradients diagonally my workflow becomes:

1. Mark the time of the beats (two at Si...1 at "lent", 1 at "night). These are my transition timings. Do this for the whole song.
2. Drop in square color fills between those transitions (beats). This should result in harsh color changes on the beats.
3. Replace the beats with horizontal gradients, starting at the beat location. I'll probably use something like a 10 tic gradient
4. Skew the whole timeline (twice) to make the gradients chase from a certain location on a string. This will create a V looking transition along the whole song. (I hope HLS has the power to chase the entire song at once).

This should give me the look I am shooting for.

-=Steve

bwalter
11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
I made an Excel Macro that will make a 10 color slow transition across an entire light display (upto 16 universes). It is called EddieEffect and I uploaded it to HLS forum here. If you only want say a 2 or three color transition you can just repeat. I.e., Red - Purple - Blue - Purple - Red - Purple - Blue - Purple - Red - Purple