PDA

View Full Version : Donation Box - opinions on this option

imbluenote
11-07-2012, 09:17 AM
I was at my local Home Depot the other day and they had a locking wall mount Mail box similar to the one in the link below on clearance:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100656391/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=locking+mailbox&storeId=10051

I really wanted to have a box this year, but with time running out and decorations still to complete for the show, i don't have alot of time to dedicate to it. Has any one used one of these or have opinions on using one like this? I know it isn't the heaviest duty out there, but mouted right or on a heavy enough pole it seemed like it would deter most people.

Thanks,
Jeff

kychristmas
11-07-2012, 09:25 AM
I use a taller version. Otherwise people can get their hands in the slot and remove things. I'll try to find a picture. Mine is Lag screwed to a tree.

Heavy dut isn't necessary. If they want it, he. Will get it.

FIRECOP252
11-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Jeff,

This might be an option. This is what I bought before the folks at the steel supply place decided to build me one. I got in in 2 days. Very Fast. Its decent size too. sounds small on the description but I was surprised.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280785438489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

imbluenote
11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Jeff,

This might be an option. This is what I bought before the folks at the steel supply place decided to build me one. I got in in 2 days. Very Fast. Its decent size too. sounds small on the description but I was surprised.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280785438489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i know it wasn't an offer...but are you selling yours now?

FIRECOP252
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Well I have no problem selling it but I kind of want to wait until I know I have the other one. They say I will have it in about a week but things do happen. As soon as I know something if you are still looking I will let you know if you want. Just want to make sure something doesnt fall through....your not far from me so it shouldnt take long to ship if that they come through....when do you go live? I also have family in Fenton that will be down for the Thankgiving day and going back that night which might help according to where you live and when you go live.

imbluenote
11-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Well I have no problem selling it but I kind of want to wait until I know I have the other one. They say I will have it in about a week but things do happen. As soon as I know something if you are still looking I will let you know if you want. Just want to make sure something doesnt fall through....your not far from me so it shouldnt take long to ship if that they come through....when do you go live? I also have family in Fenton that will be down for the Thankgiving day and going back that night which might help according to where you live and when you go live.

Well that would be fine with me. How I would mount it would be the same either way and if i had the base done I could turn it around pretty quick. I am planning on turning on the 23rd or 24th but if it isn't ready that day it isn' a huge deal. I live in Oakville, so wouldn't be too far away.

FIRECOP252
11-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Ok I will let you know asap when I find out about the other one and we will go from there sir.

imbluenote
11-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Is there any kind of lid or cover to keep rain/snow out?

kychristmas
11-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Here's the mailbox I ended up with last year. It worked great and the only trouble we had was some little weiners sticking wet candy canes in it. But I'm pretty sure that was aixelsid trying to set me back. He's very competitive you know.

I started with this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZ12kzZ12l1Z12l0/R-202653976/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=mailboxes&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202867175

and turned it into this

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12732&d=1325020969

DaveJZ
11-07-2012, 08:07 PM
I use a small locking mailbox.... and found a cloth Christmas cover for mailboxes and cut it to fit the on I'm using.... not the long ones....

Hmm.. KY.. I read something about being competitive somewhere else... but I just can't put my finger on it...:blush2:

FIRECOP252
11-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Kelly you need to add those "donation box" decals into your array of decals. I need one of those. Looks Good.

IdunBenhad
11-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Hi:
Personally, I do not like begging people for a "donation" to look at my lights. I supply them for free and I do not want people to feel obligated to "put something in the box".

While I realize this is for charity (probably) and that there is a lot of money collected by some of the DIYCers, I cannot do it. I do a large amount of work for the Shrine Hospitals (I'm a Shriner) and I just can't get with the program of a donation box in front of my display, even it it were for the Shrine Hospitals.

Just my personal opinion, guys. Good luck with your display/donation boxes.

kychristmas
11-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi:
Personally, I do not like begging people for a "donation" to look at my lights. I supply them for free and I do not want people to feel obligated to "put something in the box".

While I realize this is for charity (probably) and that there is a lot of money collected by some of the DIYCers, I cannot do it. I do a large amount of work for the Shrine Hospitals (I'm a Shriner) and I just can't get with the program of a donation box in front of my display, even it it were for the Shrine Hospitals.

And its certainly your choice. Last year was the first year that I collected donations. I don't think anyone feels pressured whatsoever. My kids really enjoyed it last year. The little ones fought over who's turn it was to "check the box." They were excited to keep track of the amounts and they even added some of their own money to the box. I can tell you that it makes it more enjoyable for my whole family. The money collected was very much appreciated by the family. I also received 5 donations totalling nearly $150 from folks that couldn't even visit the display.

This year, there is a family that lives nearby. The mother was murdered at work (allegedly by a co-worker) last summer. She was the breadwinner and they have setup a foundation for the girls college fund. The little girls go to the same school as my kids and my Wife went to high school with the Autn. Everyone in the community will be happy to donate. I try to keep my charity very very local for this reason.

FIRECOP252
11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Thats why Im doing mine because it benifits the local charity we have here in our town. Last year people offered to donate money and I told them the show was free I dont expect people to donate but the option is there if someone wishes to for the kids.

imbluenote
11-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi:

I got no problems with that and to each their own. It is a personal decision and if people want to give great if not I just hope they enjoy the show. I certainly wouldn't expect people to pay admission, just trying to help out others in my own way.

IdunBenhad
11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi:
Thanks, guys, for the comments. I guess I sounded like the Grinch, but as I said, I do a lot of work for the Shrine Hospitals, so I guess one gets a little hesitant about suggesting for donations. I respect your opinions and applaud your efforts to help those in need. Our Shrine Club donates as much as $22,000 a year to the hospitals.

Happy Holidays to all and I hope your donation boxes are overflowing. This country needs more people like you.

mikeh65
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM
My first year at collecting donations. I started with a mailbox from Lowes. Have a local guy who does sticker work. I plan on bolting it to one of the green fence posts. I have two posts, they will form and frame to the banner I have for the organization I am donating to. Next to the donation box I have a a garbage totter I painted and striped. This will be used for the food items I am collecting. We'll see how well I do.

Hunter310
11-08-2012, 05:09 PM
This is the exact one I used last year, and plan on using this year as well. All we did is stick some decorative letters spelling out "Donations" on it. It is mounted on a thick steel pole driven into the ground, wrapped with 300ct red mini string. I only reference once per set in my voice over and turn off all the lights in the yard except for the pulsating donations box. Once that is over, it is left on (like my tune to signs) at a reduced intensity for the rest of the set. As for vandalism last year, we had none. It is locked, and I pretty much empty it a few minutes after each night concludes, and leave it unlocked and "open" (although the wind sometimes closes it). I do that to show that it is empty and there is no need to try to steal from it. So far that has worked well. I imagine, that someone could try during the show, but all they would get is a few bucks....plus hopefully the visitors would throw a fit if the witnessed it.

As for raising money, last year we made $275 through donations, with 100% donated to Operation Smile (Cleft Lip/Palate).
In fact, Hasbro matched dollar for dollar, so we got $550 donated to them. :biggrin:

Steve E.