PDA

View Full Version : RGB to GRB?

DanHouston
11-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I have a couple of strings that are GRB rather than RGB. I watched angus40s video (http://vimeo.com/45588218) on how to convert to BGR and adjusted it to for what I need GRB, but it does not seem to me HLS is honoring the channel order when converted and then output.

I'm still testing with the actual output so I may have made a mistake somewhere, but wanted to check to see if anyone had actually created an RGB channel that was outputting in GRB order.

budude
11-04-2012, 11:52 PM
What are you driving these strings with? If it's an E68x, it has options to "fix" the string back to RGB.

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 12:02 AM
What are you driving these strings with? If it's an E68x, it has options to "fix" the string back to RGB.

This is the device I am using:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Mini-protocol-Decoder-DMX-to-WS2801-512-dmx-address-decoded/701799_440556828.html

angus40
11-05-2012, 03:38 AM
it looks like that controller has r g b wiring you may need to be creative with that as hls outputs rgb only. changing color order is left up to the controller or wiring at output .

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 09:05 AM
it looks like that controller has r g b wiring you may need to be creative with that as hls outputs rgb only. changing color order is left up to the controller or wiring at output .

Thanks Angus. So the video you have about changing RGB to some other order is not about getting output that way?

n_gifford
11-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Can't you just cut the wires on the controller and splice them in the proper order?

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Early on, HLS did a conversion other than RGB.

With the conversion capability existing in the controllers, that was removed from HLS.

Joe

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 09:41 AM

In this case, because they are pixels and not dumb strings, those actually translate to:
Red: CLK
Green: Data
Blue: LT

I'm still investigating if there is anything I can do at the controller level to change it from GRB to RGB.

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Early on, HLS did a conversion other than RGB.

With the conversion capability existing in the controllers, that was removed from HLS.

Joe

Any chance this might come back if I can't find a way to change it at the controller level?

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
In this case, because they are pixels and not dumb strings, those actually translate to:
Red: CLK
Green: Data
Blue: LT

I'm still investigating if there is anything I can do at the controller level to change it from GRB to RGB.

Your statement is not correct.

Controllers that have the reorganization capability (not the Chinese types), will take the data associated with the color channels and remap them so as to align the color data with the string.

Look at Jim's E68x line of controllers and you will see what I mean - see his manual.

Joe

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Your statement is not correct.

Controllers that have the reorganization capability (not the Chinese types), will take the data associated with the color channels and remap them so as to align the color data with the string.

Look at Jim's E68x line of controllers and you will see what I mean - see his manual.

Joe

Not sure what is incorrect about my statement. That is the wiring translation since it is not a dumb string (so there is no Red, Green, Blue power in this case). I have no doubt that there are controllers that allow you to change the output order for pixel controllers, but as far as I can see there is no way to change it for the one I linked above. I'm asking Ray if there is any way to change these controllers, but from what I've read I don't see anything so far....which is why I was working through the video about changing the order in the software. The other software I've used that has RGB in it (LSP) has the ability to state the order in case you have a controller like mine that I don't seem to be able to change the order on.

Basically the reordering capability in the controller just changes what it sends as Data. Since people in here were asking me to rewire the controller (because they saw RED, GREEN, BLUE on the controller) I was just explaining that rewiring would not work.

Like I said, still digging to see if I can change the order on the controller, but if I can't will HLS bring back that capability?

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I'll look into being it back.

Joe

angus40
11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
I thought the color order was for output initially then realized it was for single channel order after communicating this with Joe .

Sorry for any confusion in regards to that video.

Richard

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I thought the color order was for output initially then realized it was for single channel order after communicating this with Joe .

Sorry for any confusion in regards to that video.

Richard

No problem.

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Version 7W adds GRB.

Under Manage Channels->Raw Channels --- select RGB channels to change - press GRB button and select type.

Joe

DanHouston
11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Fantastic....I'll be playing with it tonight!

JHinkle
11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Version 7X released.

When only wanting to change a SINGLE selection - Right-Click on the GRB cell to change - otherwise - use the Bulk Selection method.

Joe

DanHouston
11-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I've done a fair amount of testing and this is working great. Thanks Joe!