PDA

View Full Version : Welding

angus40
11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
I am not a professional welder but I have done alot of it . if you own a welder you know full well the necessity of a good grinder .

Also having a supply of various types of metals allows you to fabricate just about anything you can think of .

While building my mega tree i decided to use 3/4 pex conduit to make a dual base ring that will serve 2 purposes

1 provide a tie down for the strings
2 create a covered area to hide wires controllers etc.

rather than buy the connectors for $3.80 per I decided to weld up my own using 1' pipe . what i discovered by doing this

was I can slide the conduit right through without restriction , this was a bonus because it allows me to locate them any where i like.

Here is a pic.

Also a welding tip ,If you are using a mig use gas and solid steel wire grind your welds while they are still hot .

Edit ..this only applies to hot or cold rolled steel not aluminum or stainless steel.

Try to avoid or minimize grinding stainless steel welds though this can damage the temper of the weld .

Cheers
Richard

n_gifford
11-01-2012, 12:41 PM
My only advice: Try to keep the welding on top of the plywood to a minimum..... :)

angus40
11-01-2012, 02:49 PM
thanks for this very informative tip . what you see in the picture is a cut off saw , I am sure you new that though judging from your likely experienced tip .

thanks

CaptKirk
11-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Besides every experienced welder knows to NOT weld on plywood- a pile of oily rags works MUCH better.... :freak:

(For the humor impaired, please really don't do this!! Only Mr. Nerkel's engineers try that technique! :omg:)

Wayne J
11-01-2012, 06:48 PM
<snip>Also a welding tip ,If you are using a mig use gas and solid steel wire grind your welds while they are still hot .

Cheers
Richard

I will completely disagree with this. Cold steel grinds much better and faster than it does hot. This is why coolant is used in so many steel working procedures. ;)

angus40
11-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Never seen the welders at work use any coolant . Have seen lubricant in the cutting saws though .

gassy
11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
About a month ago I signed up for a 10 week "metals" night class at the local high school (sponsored by the area technical college). For 3 hours on a Wednesday night I get access to welders, plasma cutters, mills and lathes. The best $45.00 I've ever spent.

CaptKirk
11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Do they let you make whatever you want?? Is so , that is a GREAT tip...

gassy
11-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Do they let you make whatever you want?? Is so , that is a GREAT tip...

Yep, it's an open lab.

angus40
11-01-2012, 09:33 PM
About a month ago I signed up for a 10 week "metals" night class at the local high school (sponsored by the area technical college). For 3 hours on a Wednesday night I get access to welders, plasma cutters, mills and lathes. The best $45.00 I've ever spent.

That is excellent ,I would really like to own a plasma cutter . They make precision cutting a snap compared to a torch.

same as grinding hot metal it also cuts better with heat A plasma concentrates that heat similar to white hot .

A tig would be great to have tool also for precision- intricate welding but they are just a bit pricey .

Hope you enjoy that course
Richard

n_gifford
11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
thanks for this very informative tip . what you see in the picture is a cut off saw , I am sure you new that though judging from your likely experienced tip .

thanks

It's was just giving you a hard time... :)

budude
11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
There aren't many of these around but look up http://www.techshop.ws/ - there might be other places like this. I haven't tried it myself yet but might to use a welder at some point...

crazy_carpenter
11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Just my 2 cents. If you really want to get started learning welding, Harbor Freight should do their black friday sale in a few weeks and you can pick up a decent 90amp fluxcore rig plus an instant on hood for about $140. That is how I started out learning welding.

imbluenote
11-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Just my 2 cents. If you really want to get started learning welding, Harbor Freight should do their black friday sale in a few weeks and you can pick up a decent 90amp fluxcore rig plus an instant on hood for about $140. That is how I started out learning welding.

Since all I was doing (well so far anyhow) was wireframes and never welded before. I picked up a craftsman flux core from someone off of craigslist for $50. It has worked very well for me so far.