PDA

View Full Version : need help with soldering

BigPav
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
So its my first time soldering read about how to do it and watched the videos here on the wiki page. So I set everything up. I'm using a Weller wes51station with the original tip it came with. Working on a renard 24 board. Placed the first set of resistors in let the iron warm up tinned the tip and tried to solder. On the video I see the solder spread around the part however when I do it I don't see it I know it soldered cause I pushed to see if the resistor would come up. I read that it should look shiny but can't see anything. I. Have the temp set at 550 degrees F.

Dennis Cherry
10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Use 700 degrees F. and SN63 solder that is a 63/37 type solder, if you cannot find it then 60/40 is fine. Do not use 50/50 or acid core solder.

ratroder
10-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Also get the Leaded solder not lead-free. Good solder makes the job. It is your electrical connection.

kingofkya
10-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Are you sure the tip is hot? Also try playing with the angle of your iron a bit. The only thing i can think of did you buy solder with out rosien/flux core?

And for the record 200C is more than plenty to flow solder on a resistor guys...

Also after you think the joint is good leave the iron on the part and wait 2 seconds then remove the iron.(Timing is bit long but it takes practice to get the time right.

CaptKirk
10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
"They say" you apply solder to the part, not the soldering iron but that does not always work.

Sometimes you need to get the solder (and flux) flowing a bit by applying the solder to where the solder iron tip hits the part - kinda mostly on the iron until the melted solder gets heat transferred to the part THEN the solder will melt on the lead. I use the process: Touch iron to part, touch solder to iron, move solder to the part, wathc it flow and get shiny, then remove both. Should not take more than a count of "thousand-one" for most resistors, especially if the iron tip is on the high end of the recommended range. TOO HOT and you burn off the flux before it can do anything and you get a burnt mess. Pre-trimming heavy or long leads might also help. A practice board is better than practicing on the 24...

Wayne J
10-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Was it my video you watched? Here is the link and be sure to read the text in the post.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9555-Soldering-Basics-gt-gt-Please-read-if-new-to-soldering-lt-lt

BigPav
11-01-2012, 10:27 PM
First yes WayneJ it was your video so thank you. Second I followed a lot of your suggestions. My dad had a friend of the family stop over tonight who put me through a crash course of soldering and a lot of what suggested here on this site he said. Thank you for replying. I guess I just needed someone who would look at what I'm doing and tell me once how to do it then reinforce it. I was alittle gun shy if you say, plus told me to get a magnifying glass that really helped. I highly recommend getting a table supported glass. To who responses I say Thank you