PDA

View Full Version : Vixen to HLS: What is your workflow?

szaske
10-30-2012, 05:02 PM
I've been spending the last few nights building some sequences. It's a lot of fun. I'm new to all this, but I'm really loving Vixen. It just seems more natural to me than HLS. Part of it is the performance of Vixen. I've got 500+ channels and I'm able to cut and paste a hundred channels for a whole song in a split second. That sort of speed makes it easy to rip through a song.

I'm curious how most of you are building sequences? Do you build the sequence in HLS or are you doing it in Vixen and then converting it to HLS?

My workflow so far (and I'm just on my first song) is:

1. Sequence in Vixen
2. Convert to HLS
3. Convert channels to RGB
4. Apply color
5. Enjoy

Does this seem reasonable? Am I going to run into any problems? How do you guys do it?

angus40
10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
If it is working for you and its not broken ......don't fix ! ( in your case change )

there are many way to sequencing it would seem , stick with what works best for your understanding .

with little time left its imo to late to teach the new dog old tricks .

griffixdc
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
I've been spending the last few nights building some sequences. It's a lot of fun. I'm new to all this, but I'm really loving Vixen. It just seems more natural to me than HLS. Part of it is the performance of Vixen. I've got 500+ channels and I'm able to cut and paste a hundred channels for a whole song in a split second. That sort of speed makes it easy to rip through a song.

I'm curious how most of you are building sequences? Do you build the sequence in HLS or are you doing it in Vixen and then converting it to HLS?

My workflow so far (and I'm just on my first song) is:

1. Sequence in Vixen
2. Convert to HLS
3. Convert channels to RGB
4. Apply color
5. Enjoy

Does this seem reasonable? Am I going to run into any problems? How do you guys do it?
what key command are you using to copy 500+ channels in matter of seconds?

szaske
10-31-2012, 04:21 AM
what key command are you using to copy 500+ channels in matter of seconds?

Just "Cut and Paste" (CTRL+C CTRL+V). It happens instantaneously. I'm speaking of Vixen, not HLS.

DanHouston
10-31-2012, 09:16 AM
If you are doing all the work in Vixen why are you converting it to HLS?

szaske
10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
If you are doing all the work in Vixen why are you converting it to HLS?

Because all of my lights are RGB Pixel's and Vixen does not support RGB Pixels. This is my first year and my plan is to sequence in Vixen and then convert to HLS as a final step so I can add some color to my display. I won't be getting my hardware for about another week, so I'm cutting it close. I started this thread to see if anyone could think of any problems with my workflow. I attempted to sequence in HLS, but I found the performance, timeline window and strange keyboard commands difficult to get used to. Joe seems to be improving it though every day, so I'm sure I'll use it next year. This year it will still run my show (or at least that is my plan)...I'm just using Vixen to setup my sequences.

-=Steve

DanHouston
10-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Ahh...Thanks for clarifiying.

Vixen supports it, but as three channels per pixel (if I understand what you are saying).

So you are sequencing it all white (or all some color) and then just going to change the colors in HLS. I guess push come to shove if you have to have it in Vixen use three channels per. If you need help with the colors there are RGB add-ins for Vixen to pick colors and transitions.