PDA

View Full Version : This thread needs to start getting used ?

angus40
10-30-2012, 01:30 PM
If those of you using Hls are remotely interested in sharing but do not know how please post here .

I could do a video demo of how ez it is to share with hls , also to create a secondary hls for testing shared files.

Richard

rfallatt
10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Interested, just not sure if I would have time to implement a shared file. A video would be cool.

jrock64
10-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I will look at anything you put out there.

Might not hurt to share whole sequences if your groups are well organized and you have a good preview so you can see the final result.
Always good to see how other people do it.

Maybe a good start would be an explanation of what all the files are.
Are they needed, or will they be regenerated.

Richard, how soon did you start.
I am guessing that you are all done and just kicking back waiting to turn on the lights.
Joel

angus40
10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Joel this being my first year at this , I am in the same boat as many other here with 1 exception . I have a fairly good understanding of how hls works and I am willing to help others .

I know the pressure is mounting with 1 month to go Vixen being old faithful and used by many many people still needs some polish for pixel and rgb control.

I have just created many effects over the past few months while learning hls and saved them to various libraries . So i know how ez it would be to share effects .

Sharing complete sequences is a little more involved as it requires the original song and .dat file .

Not that it can't be done its just a larger file and there is a matter of copy right on songs .

The only way i could see sharing complete sequences is if the uploader posts a link to the song they used .

i will do a couple of videos on sharing and how to . I think this will benefit us all .

btw I have not completed 1 full song yet still waiting for pixel strip to sequence .

I have set a side most of november to sequence a minimum of 5 songs and i will share what i get done .

richard

Ray cut this close . i asked for fast shipping .

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 Location Time
14 Arrived at Sort Facility BRITISH COLUMBIA - CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 09:37

Dennis Cherry
10-30-2012, 03:12 PM
How about library files?

miw01
10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Richard

This a great idea
As a newbee it's taken me ages to work out some simple effects like how to smoothly transition from one segment to another in an Arch
Full sequences would be too complex to reverse engineer and re-apply to my planned set-up but to be able to grab an effect and stretch or multiply it would save loads of time
A video or similar showing the best way to reference effects, store & export would be useful

Mike

rjchu
10-30-2012, 03:32 PM
So I hate to admit this but my mind is stuck in Vixen. I'm not getting how to add channels and controllers and such. A video on the hardware setup side would be helpful, to me at least. :)

Thanks,

-joni-

angus40
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
https://vimeo.com/45415579
here is how to get your controllers talkin with hls . if you need advice please post specifics .

hls is real simple to setup if using com port select it , if using e1.31 select that or if using a usb - dmx select usb .

miw01
10-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Richard
Sorry we are going off topic but do you know if you can mix outputs e.g e1.31 and usb-dmx?

angus40
10-30-2012, 04:13 PM
talk about all hls is good :)

you can use all the outputs you like , you assign the universe to the output , this is the back end of hls . the front end is assigning the channels to the universe .

angus40
10-30-2012, 05:06 PM
I am uploading a starter video to get users motivated with hls libraries and effects sharing .

This is a basic walk through of the library and how to rar or zip it for sharing or if you have download a library .

angus40
10-30-2012, 06:36 PM
here is a starter video for this thread .

https://vimeo.com/52498138

Lionking_Tx
10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Now it's my turn to get off topic :spox:

I've been following HLS development for quite a while now and finally started to get serious
OK...First a "Thank You" to Joe for making HLS a reality and to Richard for the many, many helpful videos and tips.

Here's a question (deals with export, so it's somekinda on topic :wink: )

- How do you guys setup the preview for pixels (especially the Mega tree) ? It's a pita to draw every single channel
- Can you export or import single preview elements once finished ?
- Can you export the channel groups (think you said somewhere you can't) ?

Btw Richard, we are in the same boat - I haven't started sequencing one single song yet (and just realized I'm one E68x short....) :shock:

I guess I have to watch your video about the vixen import again to at least start with a limping show from last year :smoke:

angus40
10-30-2012, 07:42 PM
A simple way to create a mega tree in preview is to just paint the first 8-20 pixels from each string-strip , using 2 or 3 from each universe .

this gives you a visual to verify .

Hls is not designed for user friendlyness when it comes to large channel count elements in preview and imho rightfully so.

Joe was very wise in not making the preview that important of a part of hls as it would just bogg the app down and make it cumbersome for usere to update etc.

Just look at commercial light software such as Lightfactory - Great Program-app , it does not have a preview .

Hls is designed to streamline output data to the lights for the ultimate preview .

i have a couple of videos on vimeo that show the mega tree in preview as i suggested above , it worked well and showed me that hls was working as expected.

Once i output the sequence to lights and got to see the real thing the preview lost its relevance imo.

n_gifford
10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
A simple way to create a mega tree in preview is to just paint the first 8-20 pixels from each string-strip , using 2 or 3 from each universe .

this gives you a visual to verify .

Hls is not designed for user friendlyness when it comes to large channel count elements in preview and imho rightfully so.

Joe was very wise in not making the preview that important of a part of hls as it would just bogg the app down and make it cumbersome for usere to update etc.

Just look at commercial light software such as Lightfactory - Great Program-app , it does not have a preview .

Hls is designed to streamline output data to the lights for the ultimate preview .

i have a couple of videos on vimeo that show the mega tree in preview as i suggested above , it worked well and showed me that hls was working as expected.

Once i output the sequence to lights and got to see the real thing the preview lost its relevance imo.

I agree 100% on this one. I always keep a couple test strings handy (Pixels) to reference new effects and my tree is small enough that it's currently living in my garage. So, I have never built a preview and don't really have any desire to. I'd much rather see the final outcome on actual hardware!

Lionking_Tx
10-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I agree 100% on this one. I always keep a couple test strings handy (Pixels) to reference new effects and my tree is small enough that it's currently living in my garage. So, I have never built a preview and don't really have any desire to. I'd much rather see the final outcome on actual hardware!

I agree that nothing beats the real deal, but I disagree with the importance of the preview.
The preview for me is the most important thing on a sequencing program as it shows how the effects of different elements work together and whether some areas are over or underused.
I can use my laptop everywhere, but it would look strange if I setup a mini tree in the office :biggrin2:

jrock64
10-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry guys but I live and die by the preview.

I have spent as much time on the preview as I spend on some songs.

I plan to use multiple channel vectors to dray my mega tree.

I used them for my arches.
They look like triangles but it only took two lines to represent 16 channels.

Joel

budude
10-30-2012, 10:08 PM
ditto -- I could not sequence w/o preview...

lonewolf41
11-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Double ditto. In fact, I was going to ask if it is possible to have the preview open in a separate window like Vixen does. I have two 23" monitors that I use for sequencing and one of those is dedicated to the preview. It allows me to watch the preview and sequence at the same time and makes it easy to tweak the sequence or see where something is off or where that stray flash of light came from. I have been seriously contemplating using HLS this year, but having to toggle back and forth between the preview and sequence may prevent that since I live in the preview as much or more than the sequencer. Still looks like an awesome program though and I may try it anyway.

Thanks,
-Keith