PDA

View Full Version : first time soldering

baboiler
10-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I have a bit of nervous energy to get rid of.

I finished soldering may first board yesterday.I am not feeling real confident about it. Probably won't get a chance to put power to it for a day or two.I tried to be as careful as I could to not create any cross solder points.I had to use desolder braid a couple times. There seems to be a brown residue in places. Hope I didn't get it to hot. Ones particular trouble spot I noticed after desolder it appeared to have exposed a solid pad between solder points. I resoldered best I could. Anyway I hope I did no unrepairable damage.

Sorry off this is not the spot for this but I had to vent a little

budude
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
The brown residue is the flux from the solder which is actually hollow and filled with the flux to help the solder adhere better. It's perfectly normal - you can choose to clean it off or leave it. Many folks clean it off with board cleaner or alcohol - personally I don't bother.

mrpackethead
10-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Cool.. We all started soldering somewhere... And we all burned things ( hopefully not too badly ) and we all broke things. Just remember, that its all doable, with practice and time. And if you can find someone nearby that knows what they are doing that can often help to.. Good on you for getting started.