PDA

View Full Version : convert to RGB Question

jchuchla
10-26-2012, 07:55 PM
I may be completely missing this but i'm just getting started with HLS (yes i watched the videos). I'm starting from scratch, no vixen conversion or anything. I'm trying to work with about 300 pixels (only). If i add 900 raw channels, is there an easy way to convert them to RGB? The auto convert doesn't seem very automatic to me. it looks like i drag each channel to an RGB group and then save. I'm only 10 pixels in, and i'm bored. Is this right or is there an easier step i'm missing?

Then it takes the name of whatever you dragged in there last. Is there a way to quickly name them smarter?

budude
10-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Click and move your mouse down the entire channel list, select the set RGB button and save - that converts your 300 single channels into 300 RGB channels. As for naming, if you are handy with spreadsheets you can cut/paste a portion of that on top of the channel names.

jchuchla
10-26-2012, 08:18 PM
I thought that was the thing to do, but after i do that i still see the dmx addresses in order (e.g. 1-900) and i see all the channels, it doesn't seem to have condensed it down by a third.

Thanks for the naming trick, i'll definately use that.

budude
10-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Sorry - I completely missed the 900 raw channels part - how about if you simply delete 301-900 and do the basic conversion to RGB - or do you already have sequence data for them?

jchuchla
10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
no sequence data yet (nothing i care about) just a few test intensities to figure this out. I can certainly just start over.
I'm assuming the DMX channel of each RGB channel should be the Red DMX channel for that pixel. Am i right by that? How do i get it to increment the address by 3? (excel again?)
I'm just now getting that channels on the sequencer do not necessarily equal DMX channels, they're more like logical control tracks.
Sorry about the newbie questions. Without a manual, questions is all i got.

JHinkle
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
There's a manual on the download site.

You just add ONLY 300 channels and click RGB for all of them.

Now you have 300 channels/Pixels for sequencing --- when it comes time to transmit the channels - there will be 900 channels as each RGB channel breaks into 3 separate ones (R, G, B).

I don't understand your question regarding DMX address when addressing the 300pixels/900 channels.

Joe

jchuchla
10-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Don't I need to set the dmx universe and address for each channel?

injury
10-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Add 300 channels, Select them all and click to convert them to RGB, Highlight each universe worth of channels and set the universe number on that selection, Click renumber for output and done.

JHinkle
10-26-2012, 11:05 PM
As injury stated above ... the DMX addressing is done when its time to transmit data.

When you are ready to transmit your pixel data - you group your channels into Universes 170 pixels per universe, Click "Renumber All Channels for Output" in the Manage Raw Channels dialog --- this makes sure that all universes are properly constructed and channels are properly numbered - then proceed to the "OutPut" menu to select the Transport mechanism and Protocol.

Many videos show this process -- watch closely for the details.

Joe

jchuchla
10-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Joe,
If you don't mind the suggestions. It seems to me odd that a channel plan is part of a sequence. Mind you, I'm not used to other sequencers so this may just be the way it's always been. It seems that a channel plan would be fixed (for any given person or house) and then sequences would be built to that channel plan. I saw someone's video showing how to save a channel layout as a library effect, but this seems kinda backwards. If I were designing it (and I don't have the know-how to write the software) I'd make a few layers, one for actual output channels and lights and such. Then another layer of logical control channels, and a third "patch map" layer to connect the two. Songs and their sequencing would be performed on the control channels and the display details would be on the output channel layer. That way people could create sequences and share them and each user would just have to patch the sequence to their layout. It looks like its probably possible to achieve this end result currently but it's not very intuitive. It also serves the purpose of setting up the output channels once for the display and being able to create many sequences that would work on that channel plan.
It's probably way too late now to make such a change, but I thought id throw it out there in case you ever do a substantial 2.0 rewrite.

angus40
11-05-2012, 11:38 AM
hls is the easiest way to share sequence effects imho . you just need to add the channel count to a workgroup that matches the library file count to see the shared users effects.

It is just that simple.

Your layout does not need to match that of the shared sequence user.