PDA

View Full Version : HLS - added Effect Grouping editing

JHinkle
10-21-2012, 05:56 AM
The following changes were implemented from several suggestions from Al (intwoit2002).

They are found in version 7J and higher.

In the "Right Click Menu", I changed a menu selection from "Group Move - Resize" to "Perform Action on Selected Group".

What makes these group selection and actions different is that you do NOT have encompass the complete effect to apply the requested change.

Al uses a lot of chases back to back and found no easy way to do block/group changes: Selection Box is a rectangle where chase elements are in a parallelogram.

This new group selection process says if ANY part of an effect is within the Selection Box ... then the action will be applied ---- so be VERY careful when using it.

Block Moves ... click in upper left corner of Selection box and move all partially/fully enclosed effects.

Block Resize - better known as block CHASE .... drag lower right corner of Selection Box and take your vertical set of effects and make them into a chase.

Block Delete --- enough said.

Block Fill Right or Fill Left. ..... the first effect (fill left) or the last effect (fill right) that does NOT have a length to reaches the associated side of the Selection Box is Extended to Fill to the Box's edge.

Block Clip Right or Clip Left .... the first effect (clip left) or the last effect (clip right) that extends beyond the limits of the Selection Box are Clipped to the edge of the Box.

Be careful .... any effect that is IN the box is acted upon!!!.

Enjoy

Joe

boarder3
10-21-2012, 10:03 AM
im using 7j and trying to make chase it wont go and can move selection by pressing space bar and left click but not chase is there a list of shortcuts anywhere that i could print out and not bother everyone while im trying to learn hls. Also do i actually have to select the entire 640 channels or just a part of them for this new grouping effect. Also when i make a level about 4 intervals long with 640 pixels and say chase rgb colors vertically it wont work but if i do it on like 10 channels it does?

JHinkle
10-21-2012, 11:11 AM
im using 7j and trying to make chase it wont go and can move selection by pressing space bar and left click but not chase is there a list of shortcuts anywhere that i could print out and not bother everyone while im trying to learn hls. Also do i actually have to select the entire 640 channels or just a part of them for this new grouping effect. Also when i make a level about 4 intervals long with 640 pixels and say chase rgb colors vertically it wont work but if i do it on like 10 channels it does?

I don't use spacebar except for Animation - so I think you may be getting some Vixen stuff mixed in.

Easiest way to make a chase is to make a selection box as wide as you want each chase effect and a hi as the number of channels to chase.

Click on the LEVEL button at the top. Now you have a column of level effects.

Hold CTRL and left click in upper left corner of top effect of newly created column. Make Selection box so it fits around all of the newly created column of effects.

Once Selection box is formed - Right Click and select Group Actions.

Select resize - Chase.

Left mouse click in lower right corner of selection box and drag to the right ... when chase is correct left click again.

ESC to remove Selection Box.

I just tried a 640 channel 4 cell wide RGB Vertical Chase and worked well.

Joe

kychristmas
10-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Look, it's getting late and the season and you better stop sleeping in. Posting at 6:00AM, is way too late in the day. :v:

Good Lord man, get some sleep.

intwoit2002
10-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Joe, I just wanted to thank you for the gifts. These are definitely going to make sequencing easier and faster. Can't say to much you are one of the best engineers I have worked with.
Al

boarder3
10-21-2012, 01:10 PM
it doesnt work all the time i can move the box but chase effect is mia im clicking in corner i even tried in spots i shouldnt be in but the only thing i can do as a group is move left and right sometimes.

budude
11-20-2012, 03:40 AM
OK - I'm sure it's easy - - but how do you do a chase from bottom/left to top/right? I see in the videos how you can either move a block or make a chase by grabbing the bottom/right corner and dragging it to make a chase that goes from top/left to bottom/right -- how do you go the other way. I played around with vertical/horizontal mirroring but I can't figure those out at all... Guess I need to search some more but I didn't see in a video where the chase is done the other way.

edit - - it appears my issue might be a bug. When I do a horizontal flip on a segment it gets messed up and I lose parts/all of the channel information in the flip. Basically I have all of the pixels from a single string of my MT as a segment (32 times) so I can treat them as a 'dumb' strings for some of the sequence. If I look at the individual channels the data is there but at the segment level it's gone. Interesting enough when I go from the segment view to the channel view, I see the data OK as I said - when I go back to segment view - the data is back again!

I have a screen cap but it's a bit large - the way to recreate is:

Create segments of RGB channels (mine is 32 segments of 42 pixels)
Put the segments into a view group
Put all the channels into an "all" view group
Use the segment view group
Add a set-level effect down several channels
Group-chase the effect for a few spaces
Select the group and select horizontal mirror and the effect information disappears from view
Select the "all" view group - see that the data is still there for the separate channels
Select the segment view group - the data is there again as well (but not flipped).

angus40
11-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Brian are you segmenting your mega tree ?

budude
11-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Brian are you segmenting your mega tree ?

Yes - I want to have a mix of full pixel sequencing but also the simplicity of using segments. This issue I'm having is a bit of a showstopper (literally) for me...

angus40
11-23-2012, 06:32 AM
Sorry Brian

loaded up version 8a and cannot get segments working the way they were intended .

as i don't plan to use segments ( its just as ez to sequence using the grid and workgroup to create your segments) I know your doing a similar tree to mine , I find it very simple to sequence by setting my groups for the 32 strings by universe . this reduces the grid for editing .

I hope i can get a better handle on Bwalter's sequencing tool as I believe that is the frosting that hls required for 2012.

JHinkle
11-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I did not implement Horz or Vert flip for segments - only channels because of the details involved in flipping.

HLS should have ignore the Segment channel when the flip was requested.

You can do the flip on UnSegmented channels.

Joe

angus40
11-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Joe in version 8a I could not get the segments to work as in the original release . I must be doing something wrong maybe .

when i open the segment workgroup on the editor all channels appear like a normal workgroup.

I have not tested the segments since the original release , did something change that the channels are not collapsed in later versions ?

thanks
Richard

my appologies if this has been covered and i have not researched the threads fully .