PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Open Sequence

XmasInGalt
10-18-2012, 08:31 PM
I was working on a sequence and had a window pop up saying the application stopped working. It prompted me to close the progrm (no other choice) so I did. Since then, I get the 'Unable to Open Sequence' message when I try to open the sequence. I tried the 'rebuild effects database' option as well with the same results. I went to the 'Manage Saved Files' and loaded a previously saved version. That didn't solve the problem. I'm running HLS as Admin. I've deleted the idx files and made sure the folder is not read only (but didn't thinkk that was the case since I've been saving to the folder all day). I've put some time into this sequence and I'm concerned about losing the data. Help!

XmasInGalt
10-20-2012, 01:08 AM
I've done more testing and it appears that everytime I convert a Vixen sequence into HLS, save it, exit HLS then reload HLS and try to open the sequence I just saved, I get the 'Unable to Open Sequence message'. I've done this with 3 different converted Vixen sequences and get the same result.

JHinkle
10-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Here is what I suspect - As I know many have used the process successfully.

There is a lot of processing to convert a Vixen sequence. Vixen does not have hi-level effects as every thing is single cell level effects.

During the conversion HLS analyzes and does pattern matching in an attempt to convert Vixen single cell effects into HLS's hi level RampUp, RampDoen, Level effects.

Are you getting the completion message from HLS stating how many channels were converted?

I've seen some 16,000 channels Vixen sequences take 45 minutes to convert.

If you are "Saving" and then exiting prior to completion ... this is root-cause of your issue.

Please wait for the conversion completion status message - then save and exit.

See if the the result is different.

The 'Unable to Open Sequence message' is do to an incomplete HLS sequence file. The internal XML structure is incorrect.

Dumb question ... don't get mad at me for asking .... if the sequence is BIG ... are you waiting for the "Saved Complete" message box to appear after you click save prior to exiting?

THAT situation would result in what you are seeing.

As I think about it ... I'll put an internal flag to prevent exiting if the sequence has not completed saving.

Thanks.

Please let me know what you find.

If the two conditions above are not the reason - send me your HLS file so I can examine it --- that will provide insight as to what the cause may be.

Joe

rfallatt
10-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Can you put a visual popular or status at the bottom to let users know what the program is doing... In this case.. the window or status would be " converting vixen... Please wait" this could be done 4 other functions such as when you are in a resize group ..
Sent from Droid Incredible, using Tapatalk 2.

XmasInGalt
10-20-2012, 11:03 AM
I figured out the error of my ways. In the channel descriptions of my Vixen sequence, I had some unused channels that I identified with '<B>'. In HLS world, those symbols are a no no for descriptions. When I changed all of those descriptions to '(B)', all was fine. I'm able to save and reload the sequence without any issues. Sorry for the false alarm. Note to self: don't use symbols in your description that are used to parse the file. Thanks for your help.

JHinkle
10-20-2012, 11:32 AM
I am glad you are familiar enough with XML to figure that out.

Good Job.

Joe

Livermore-Dad
12-08-2012, 02:27 AM
So looked not sure.

I had an error about too many channels Chan 2Big, figured I had gone over my universe allotment using an E682, so went into raw channels, and deleted the offending channels from 3 of my controllers, saved, HLS did the whole need to shutdown etc.etc. restarted the application, file, open hls and get the "Unable to Open Sequence"..

The program does not appear to have crashed, nor was I doing anything hokey in any files, just wondering what could of happened. While I can recreate (getting better at it), I'm wondering if this is something that Joe wants to take a look at?

Thanks
Tory

Livermore-Dad
12-08-2012, 02:58 AM
Well solved that. Appears deleting 2 channels and saving, makes things unhappy. I had to go in delete a single channel (save, exit, relaunch) and then delete the 2nd channel (save, exit, relaunch) and that seems to make it happy. I have no idea why it caused confusion by deleting 2 channels, on different controllers, but I'm up and didn't have to recreate.

Very nice work on creating the backup files!! w00t
Tory

JHinkle
12-08-2012, 06:52 AM
OHHHHHHHH - don't delete channels ...... you may want them.

Just remove them from being Outputed by setting their Universe number to ZERO. Sounds like you did NOT hit the GREEN button and then check the number of channels numbered.

Joe