PDA

View Full Version : How many would be interested in purchasing an HLS remote control module?

JHinkle
10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
If enough people are interested - I would make available the following.

A wireless module that would send and receive commands from HLS.

Commands sent TO this module would control opto-isolated Outputs.

Opto-isolated Inputs would send state change information to HLS which in turn would have capabilities to act upon such commands.

If enough people are interested, I will design one and make it available.

Joe

angus40
10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
i am in .

JHinkle
10-15-2012, 05:14 PM
The module would be HLS aware - but any software capable of sending/receiving a UDP packet could control it.

Joe

BrianJ
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
I have no idea what I would use it for this year but I think it would be great to have. This might be a great project for building in next year for me. But I am in for sure

rfallatt
10-15-2012, 10:31 PM
I don't even know what it is, but I would probably buy it just cause Joe built it... Its gotta be good!

critic2
10-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't even know what it is, but I would probably buy it just cause Joe built it... Its gotta be good!

+1 to that!

Samj435
10-15-2012, 11:48 PM
I think any board with inputs to allow for a more dynamic environment would be welcome. Operating over Ethernet makes it a big plus. I would be interested, depending on cost of course.

budude
10-16-2012, 12:10 AM
uh - - maybe...? Need a few more details obviously but I plan to put more work on my Halloween show and less on my Christmas show next year so I plan to have more props, etc and this may fit right in... maybe...

JHinkle
10-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Here's the less technical view of the proposed module.

Wireless (WiFi).

Any software that can compose and transmit/receive UDP packets could talk to the module.

Think of the module as an I/O module.

Output from the module could drive relays, etc --- enabling you to remotely turn things off and on.

Examples: projectors, floods, external radio or speakers, .....

The module would have digital inputs (maybe a analog or two also). So you could read a switch - transmit that back to the receiving program to cause some action to take place.

As an example ... a push button by the sidewalk - push it to start a sequence.

Multiple buttons so people could select which sequence they wanted to see.

An input could be a proximity sensor of sort, so as someone passes by your house - a specific sequence starts.

That's the type of module and control I am talking about.

Joe

jess_her
10-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Yes I would

boarder3
10-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Me too any idea on cost and how fast we can get

jchuchla
10-19-2012, 08:21 PM
how many goesintas and how many goesoutas might this device have?

I'd hope it has an antenna jack (as opposed to built in) so one could use a gain antenna to get the wifi to and from the street

mkozik1
10-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Joe,

Are you looking to use an Arduino board for this? I know that is a draw for me to Vixen, the ability to control several different I/O boards allowing me to do more with my Halloween haunt.

Mark

OriginalHotrodder
10-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Joe, I'm interested in at least two to start with. One for a laser projector and another for a video projector.

dirknerkle
10-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Joe,

Is it your plan to make it a "learning" controller where you take the player's actual remote and "read" it with the HLS remote for the proper IR commands?

Just curious....

JHinkle
10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
No.

I was considering a generic wireless or wired Ethernet based IO controller.

Control (drive based on received command) X number of opto-isolated open collector outputs.

Transmit X number of inputs - both digital and analog.

Your IR application was too specific for my intention --- someone could take a pic based board, attached it to digital outputs of the IO board - then have specific IR to fit their needs.

I know I've been thinking about a wireless/wired I/O controller for multiple applications for myself ... I thought the uses would be a perfect uses for Holiday projector control, proximity sensing of visitors, weather sensor reporting, etc

I'll probably make a prototype for myself in Mar/Apr - wanted to see if there was enough interest to make it available to many.

I'm designing my wired based TCP IP stack right now to be used with a Pixel controller I am also working on.

For a wired based - my MAC + cpu would be a stand alone solution.

For other wired or wireless based solutions - adding a purchasable communication module like RN, ZigBee, etc --- could also be used.

It's a very simple application - one that someone wanting to try his hand at embedded hardware/software for the first - it would be a perfect fit.

I threw the hot potato at you (saying it would be a great project) more as a joke than than reality.

My hands are full right now with HLS and my Pixel controller - when that's complete - if many are interested - I do it then.

Joe

angus40
10-22-2012, 04:58 PM
hmmmm, this gets me thinking about wirelessly sending the video to the projector . any thoughts of this being a possibility Joe ? :)

I know you have 3 heaping plates atm Hls - your controller and your "ahem "2012 display .

jchuchla
10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Being a professional video engineer I can inject some wisdom on wireless video. It's not too hard to do at low rates such as old fashioned standard def NTSC video. But sending higher rate video is far from trivial. The data rates for computer video are substantially higher and difficult to transmit wirelessly. A 1080p signal has a data rate around 3 Gbps. Almost all of the available solutions involve compression using various schemes. I'm not a hardware developer, but it seems that hardware video encoding would be far beyond the capabilities of most of the microprocessor platforms I'm seeing people develop for on this board. The propellor is one of the mots powerful of these and it can barely generate low color depth video.
There are plenty of inexpensive commercial devices put there that apready do this. Most projectors have network of wireless video capabilities built in using various proprietary schemes

CaptKirk
10-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Google "Intel Widi" for a capability built into current Intel processors/network controllers.

jchuchla
10-22-2012, 09:42 PM
That's certainly one of the inexpensive commercial solutions. That'd be a great idea. There's not too many receivers for it though.

angus40
10-22-2012, 10:01 PM
i guess this will work then .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDVOvs_0mUI&feature=relmfu

robertt
11-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi Joe,

I'm interested in an I/O module.
It would be great if it could interact fully with the scheduler, ?maybe this can also be done with the UDP option already in HLS?
So that if I push a button it will pause the current sequence, plays some other sequence, and then continue with the first sequence.
I think that the controller should be held fairly simple to keep the costs down.
Ethernet connection would be great and maybe optionally wi-fi?

Greetings, Robert

timon
11-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Something to use from an iPhone or iPad, ok Android too. That would likely be best done with a simple WED app so it would run on any platform.

szaske
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
I would be interested in this as well. It sounds like each person here is thinking of different things, but in my mind a fairly cheap and waterproof sign at my gate that would allow people to restart my show would be great. I would want a little waterproof box that I could mount on the back of a sign, with the ability to connect a set of buttons to it (that would be mounted through the sign)

BTW Joe, I noticed earlier in the thread you mentioned building a pixel controller. Why are you building a Pixel controller? What advantages would it have over a E682?

budude
01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Hey Joe - now that you're just sitting around doing nothing... :naughty:

Is this project still in your plans - if so any more/different details? I'm starting planning for my Halloween setup so want to get my ducks in a row.

Lionking_Tx
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM

Rotfl

mkozik1
01-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Is this project still in your plans - if so any more/different details? I'm starting planning for my Halloween setup so want to get my ducks in a row.

+1

Sitting around doing nothing - Shame on you :wink2:

JHinkle
01-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Nope --- In my spare time I designing a Pixel Controller.

Joe

LightUpMA
01-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Here's the less technical view of the proposed module.

Wireless (WiFi).

Any software that can compose and transmit/receive UDP packets could talk to the module.

Think of the module as an I/O module.

Output from the module could drive relays, etc --- enabling you to remotely turn things off and on.

Examples: projectors, floods, external radio or speakers, .....

The module would have digital inputs (maybe a analog or two also). So you could read a switch - transmit that back to the receiving program to cause some action to take place.

As an example ... a push button by the sidewalk - push it to start a sequence.

Multiple buttons so people could select which sequence they wanted to see.

An input could be a proximity sensor of sort, so as someone passes by your house - a specific sequence starts.

That's the type of module and control I am talking about.

Joe

I would love this too!! I'm thinking about halloween too and would love input control.

-Wayne

CDN_Diesel
01-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Nope --- In my spare time I designing a Pixel Controller.

Joe

Can't wait!!

Livermore-Dad
01-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Love for something to communicate to a projector(S) as well as fog machines (next thing I need to figure out how to).

Tory

beeiilll
01-28-2013, 12:08 PM
An excellent idea to allow more useage/control of things in a display. I'm all for it as well!

szaske
02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Just adding to this thread to bump it back to the top. This Halloween I'd like the ability to, at the push of a button kick off a sequence. I'd wanted to have 6-10 sequences in memory, ready to go, and when the doorbell rings I can press a button (perhaps on my phone or tablet) and have the sequence immediately kick off. That way I can start a song, or perhaps re-create a lightning strike. I believe this functionality is what you are speaking of.

Onewish1
02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
we would be interested for sure

mkozik1
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Just adding to this thread to bump it back to the top. This Halloween I'd like the ability to, at the push of a button kick off a sequence. I'd wanted to have 6-10 sequences in memory, ready to go, and when the doorbell rings I can press a button (perhaps on my phone or tablet) and have the sequence immediately kick off. That way I can start a song, or perhaps re-create a lightning strike. I believe this functionality is what you are speaking of.

IN the event HLS is not ready for this (as Joe has so much other stuff on his plate) here is a guy who put together a shield for the Arduino and will seemingly what you are asking for and with little to no programming. http://www.hauntsoft.com/ Take a gander and see if it fits your bill.

Strother85
02-22-2013, 12:31 AM
IN the event HLS is not ready for this (as Joe has so much other stuff on his plate) here is a guy who put together a shield for the Arduino and will seemingly what you are asking for and with little to no programming. http://www.hauntsoft.com/ Take a gander and see if it fits your bill.

Although I plan to check out hls anyway, this remote what probably make me learn it. I usually sit outside on Halloween passing out candy and this would give me the ability to start sequences when I see kids walking up

mkozik1
02-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Although I plan to check out hls anyway, this remote what probably make me learn it. I usually sit outside on Halloween passing out candy and this would give me the ability to start sequences when I see kids walking up

Has a remote to where you can trigger manually or make it automatic