PDA

View Full Version : HLS scheduling: a filler program and external triggers for programs?

truejoy
10-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm new to HLS programming but very, very impressed with the software and developer responsiveness.

Two questions about whether current functions exist (or are being considered for the future)? Of course, if there is already a different way of accomplishing the same end-goal, then I'm open to learning about those as well.

1) is there a way to have a basic "filler" program running the lights when no other specific (more detailed) program is running? What I'm thinking is about a simple twinkling routine that would play between the scheduled shows. Lets say I run a big-deal synchronized show every 10 minutes. What are my lights and sound doing between shows?

2) is there a way (command line call, http request, etc.) for an external program to trigger the playback of a specific HLS light show program? I see that Vixen has a both a web protocol and a keypad/joystick plug-in. Does HLS have anything similar?

Thanks in advance for letting me know about these items.

JHinkle
10-15-2012, 07:16 AM
1) is there a way to have a basic "filler" program running the lights when no other specific (more detailed) program is running? What I'm thinking is about a simple twinkling routine that would play between the scheduled shows. Lets say I run a big-deal synchronized show every 10 minutes. What are my lights and sound doing between shows?

2) is there a way (command line call, http request, etc.) for an external program to trigger the playback of a specific HLS light show program? I see that Vixen has a both a web protocol and a keypad/joystick plug-in. Does HLS have anything similar?

Thanks in advance for letting me know about these items.

1: NO. HLS's Show is to play shows that you create. You should consider creating a "filler".

2. Currently - not at this time because no one has requested it.

I would be interested in knowing what people use today via Ethernet net protocols - it should be simple to implement.

Joe

BrianJ
10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Joe, I had sort of been thinking of the first part of this. Is there any ay you could set up a time interval of 30 seconds per time tic? I would like to make a "filler" show that would run late night between the last show of the night and the first show of the morning display. This "filler program wouldnt be very intensive, but would vary from static to slow changes, allowing me to keep some light on all night for security. This could also be run during the day if there is a snow-storm or otherwise very grey day. I am sure you could appreciate the size of the program to sequence at any of the time intervals currently available.

I am sure you will think about it and if it is not to big of a deal to implement, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all your hard work
Brian

JHinkle
10-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Let me sleep on it awhile.

It may be easier to create a sequence at 100 msec and make a BIG selection block - (like the whole Display Group and complete Time line) and insert a "Custom" random effect.

Making the ability to do "whole Display Group and complete Time line" is a whole lot easier that playing with extended timing as many of the transmission protocols require "keep alives" of 1 to 2 seconds (E131 comes to mind) ... DMX also.

With a "whole Display Group and complete Time line" capability - you should be able to create a complete sequence (Filler Type) in less than a minute.

How does that sound?

Joe

BrianJ
10-15-2012, 09:51 AM
The sheer numbers scare me :)
at 100 msec timing for a seven hour filler you are looking at 252,000 time tics, looking at 1300 rgb channels, that is 327 million squares in the sequence. times that by three for the RGB factor and you are looking at a billion channels/time tics of info. Maybe it would be best to make it up in smaller increments like 30 minutes at a time and loop it in the sequencer.

The other thing that would be needed is the re-activation of the sequence without music. the other choice would be an edited mix of say 30 or 60 minutes of music, but I dont really need to broadcast all night. I could always put the transmitter onto a timer I guess.

JHinkle
10-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I was thinking more of a 30 sec or 1 minute sequence.

Show can just keep replaying over and over again.

I released a "No Audio" version some time ago but it would not operate properly and some computers.

I had to use some low-level Window's system resources to get 1 msec timing and I don't think it's supported on all version of Windows and MACs.

As I'm typing - I just had a thought for "No Audio" that will resolve my previous concerns.

Watch for it in the next release.

Now back to the original question ....

Make a "NO Audio" sequence --- 30 seconds or 1 minute in duration.

I'll make a NEW "Display Group" capability to add a random effect ... create a sparkle effect ... over the comple display group.

You can make several "Display Groups" that encompass the parts of your display to have filler inserted.

Make each display active in sequence - applying the Group Filler to each one.

Total time creating the complete sequence - less than 2 minutes.

Set show to repeat after playing ... it can go all night.

How does this sound?

Joe

trcons
10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
How about a random function that allows you to say turn on from 0-100% of your channels on for a period of time like in vixen. That's how I created mine.

truejoy
10-15-2012, 10:17 AM
A looping "background" sequence would work fine for me... until any "foreground" sequence is triggered to play (either manually or by the scheduler). However, instead of "NO AUDIO" I would love to see the background sequence loop through playback of a "playlist" of songs. Of course, the filler songs are not synchronized to the lights, just providing filler sound (christmas songs) while the filler visuals (looping sequence of twinkling lights) are happening.

JHinkle
10-15-2012, 10:47 AM
How about a random function that allows you to say turn on from 0-100% of your channels on for a period of time like in vixen. That's how I created mine.

That effect capability already exists.

Joe

BrianJ
10-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Sounds like you have a good plan Joe, looking forward to trying it out

Thanks again

JHinkle
10-15-2012, 10:49 AM
A looping "background" sequence would work fine for me... until any "foreground" sequence is triggered to play (either manually or by the scheduler). However, instead of "NO AUDIO" I would love to see the background sequence loop through playback of a "playlist" of songs. Of course, the filler songs are not synchronized to the lights, just providing filler sound (christmas songs) while the filler visuals (looping sequence of twinkling lights) are happening.

Song/audio or not --- I was looking to see if my suggestion on a Filler capability would satisfy the needs presented.

In a Show --- the sequence could be looping until time arrived to play a real sequence. Already part of the Show capability.

Joe

rfallatt
10-15-2012, 12:19 PM
In a Show --- the sequence could be looping until time arrived to play a real sequence. Already part of the Shaw capability.

Joe

Is there a video for this?

angus40
10-15-2012, 12:27 PM
yes I did a video to show how to schedule a show , you would just add the sequence to loop as many times as required until time arrived to play a real sequence .

https://vimeo.com/45531500

rfallatt
10-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks

Sent from Droid Incredible, using Tapatalk 2.

truejoy
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Yes, I think your suggestion on a looping sequence would meet the need.

angus40
10-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Joe , if you could have the ability to select loop- and set its duration in the scheduler or playlist would suffice .

When users define their schedule they could select loop and set the length for the given song-sequence as they build their playlist .

rfallatt
10-15-2012, 11:31 PM
yes I did a video to show how to schedule a show , you would just add the sequence to loop as many times as required until time arrived to play a real sequence .

https://vimeo.com/45531500
not sure how to loop from the description in the video? Maybe I have been sequencing too much and I cant see the easy stuff.

budude
10-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I haven't played with the show settings on HLS yet - but on Vixen you basically create a playlist and tell the show player to play that playlist from start time to end time. There's nothing stopping you from have a single sequence in a playlist so I could run a sequence from 11pm to 6am (for example) and it would repeat as many times as necessary.

angus40
10-16-2012, 12:11 AM
I haven't played with the show settings on HLS yet - but on Vixen you basically create a playlist and tell the show player to play that playlist from start time to end time. There's nothing stopping you from have a single sequence in a playlist so I could run a sequence from 11pm to 6am (for example) and it would repeat as many times as necessary.

this is true for hls also .

rfallatt
10-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Oh... So it loops on its own... Sorry... Been here for a while but still its my first year...

Sent from Droid Incredible, using Tapatalk 2.