PDA

View Full Version : HLS - Singing Monster Faces made EASY

JHinkle
10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I am please to release beta version 7C of HLS.

I have add a complete animation package to HLS.

HLS will accept your song's lyrics in text format - allow you to place each word in your sequence - and then generate the lighting effects for the different mouth positions for each word.

You can manage up to 10 different Faces within an HLS sequence.

The hardest part for the user is placing the WORDS in the right position and proper duration and then making each mouth position the proper duration.

I think I have removed 60% to 80% of the work out of synchronizing Monster Faces to music.

Please use the DSP functions of HLS to help extract the vocals from the instrumentals thereby making WORD placement very easy.

I have made two quick videos that highlight how to use this capability.

Enjoy.

Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQfxI57apB8&feature=youtu.be

JHinkle
10-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Second Video for training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjsqdLe7Bis&feature=youtu.be

budude
10-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Joe is there audio with this second video? Just want to be sure either way since there isn't any as I play it.

JHinkle
10-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Looks like I will have to reproduce it - I have no audio here either.

Joe

budude
10-14-2012, 02:23 PM
This is fabulous though - no need for Papagayo with it. A couple minor requests - you currently allow for 10 faces - can you up that to 12 or 16? The only reason I ask is that "This is Halloween" from Nightmare Before Christmas has around 12 or so different vocals and I'd like to get all of them in. Perhaps just have a function to start with 1 and add as you go instead of 10 outright?

I am thinking of mapping a set of channel groups on my Megatree to different face/mouth/eye parts - this will be a bit hit&miss to determine the channels on a conical tree but I don't think I have time to whip up a straight matrix (whereas my tree is ready to go). Anyway - so the different faces would be at different locations within the tree as the song goes on.

Also - I noticed when you do Play from Mark that the sequencer stops the display where you hit the stop button - can you add a check-box that resets the display back to the Play from Mark position when you hit Stop? I can see where both would be good to have.

edit - in fact there are 18 different vocals in "This is Halloween"...

JHinkle
10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I'll change it to encompass 20.

My second video is compiling now - will post it in the next 15 minutes. I had selected the wrong audio source when I created the video.

I'm hoping the animation capabilities of HLS will drive more people into singing faces - I think they're great.

Joe

JHinkle
10-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Second Video posted - see top of thread.

Joe

Dennis Cherry
10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Looks like I will have to reproduce it - I have no audio here either.

Joe

This is like the old western movies at the theater, called a "Cliff Hanger."

JHinkle
10-14-2012, 03:38 PM
No Cliff-hanger - already posted -- see at top of thread.

Joe

budude
10-14-2012, 03:45 PM
In the video, you assign individual channels to the mouth parts - can you assign channel groups instead? Take my example above where I'm going to map a number of pixels as a mouth/eye part. It would be easier (for me...) to simply assign a group instead of separate channels but it's not a huge deal either way.

You have ruined my Sunday afternoon I'll have you know - I now need to run out and see if I can get a vertical matrix set up with my pixel strings for this!

edit - perhaps I should say 'segments' instead of groups?

JHinkle
10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Brian:

Originally I developed "Segments" in anticipation of this.

When it comes down to actual implementation - you can get tied in a knot easily - so I elected to identify channels to be assigned to mouth positions.

I have a limit of 100 channels - since I had no idea of really what was needed.

That can be 100 pixels also ....

I like your suggestion about Groups .... as long as Segments are not included. The only reason you would make a Group is if you wanted to lay effects on "Mouth" position channels outside of the "Animation" process.

Let me sleep on this some more.

Joe

JHinkle
10-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I have modified HLS - will be available in 7D --- you can up to 20 faces and 1000 channels.

The 1000 can be normal channel, RGB channel, or Segment. So in reality --- you can have many thousands of channels assigned to mouth positions ... just right for painting mouth positions on a Pixel Plane - or a matrix of pixels.

Joe

CaptKirk
10-15-2012, 03:19 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but does HLS have a visual playback capability (animated preview)? The reason I ask is because in your tutorials, I've never seen you show what the output looks like either on a preview, or on real hardware (I have NOT viewed all the videos yet, but I plan to so I just might have missed it). I know if I searched I could find the answer, but sometimes it is easier to just ask for a "fish" than to fish for it. ;-)

JHinkle
10-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Use HLS's Preview capability and draw your mouth segments.

Then watch it animate.

Joe

CaptKirk
10-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Whew, I was worried a preview was NOT available because I have yet to see one of your videos show it. For the Thriller how-to, it would have been REALLY cool to see what you did would look like!! Maybe I am asking for a Part 3?? :-D

Kirk

JHinkle
10-16-2012, 01:25 AM
I added a talking animated face --- so you can Right Click on a word from your placement list and a face will apear and go through the mouth movements.

I would like someone that has done a lot of monster face sequence to give me some feedback on this.

Maybe its the fact that my animated demo mouth is a quality mouth (no a wire frame mouth) - but the results don't seem right.

The animated face uses a 300 x 300 pixel bitmap for each mouth position.

If someone wants to do a wire mouth for those positions, I would be pleased to add them into the program.

I will also consider making it so you can link in your own bitmap images if it is needed.

The way you get to the animated face ... get to the process where you have your vocal list and are placing the words in the sequence.

If you Right Click on any word in the vocal list - the Face will appear and the mouth will move according to the events associated with the word.

I would love some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Henedce
10-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Found a problem .

On most faces I have seen the 3 lines are used to make up FV E AI are used twice . HLS doesnt allow that to be mapped.
AI is made using Channels 1 and 2
E is made using Channels 1 and 3
FV is made using Channel 3

See diagram below

JHinkle
10-16-2012, 07:15 AM
I was thinking of that last night.

Version 7G will allow channels to appear in more than one mouth position.

Thanks for the comment.

Joe

timon
10-16-2012, 08:47 PM
At this point I really really would like to have audio scrubbing (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/audio_scrubbing.html). Being able to move back and forth listening to the audio to me is much easier to locate my drop points. Visual is nice but my ears work better to locate what I want but that comes from working a radio station and audio editing for several years.

How would I like it to work. When the cursor is over the wave form and the left button is down then you should hear the audio as you drag right or left and when you let go of the button that marks the start. You can then do the same thing with the right mouse button scanning left and right and when you let go of the button you mark the end. The wave form area now has a section highlighted and it will stay that way until you click any place in the wave form area. Now I can select an area then proceed to drop the word in and position it as needed.

One more thing. This should work anyplace and their should be a Play Selected which would then play that area.

BrianJ
10-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Timon, this is a new feature request. You should open a new thread for any requests in the right sub-forum. That way each thrread is easily tracked and ideas will not get lost or buried on page three of a thread with a completely different title.

timon
10-16-2012, 09:00 PM
One more thing. I think that the play button should change from "Play" to "Pause" when clicked. That way you can quickly start and pause then pickup where you left off. The same with "Play from Mark" which should switch to "Pause". I've noticed that you loose time when you have to repoint the cursor as you listening to the song and figuring out positions.

Henedce
10-17-2012, 04:59 AM
Just started doing the vocals for Mariah Carey's Santa CLaus is comin to town and was struggling to get the oh oh ahhs etc then I found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7yizjJYnQ

Not only does it give me all the adlibs (guess thats the word) it gives me all the back up vocals as well.

budude
10-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Hi Joe - using version 7G and started on "This is Halloween" which is 18 "faces" of animation. I see there is still only 10 available so far - but that's OK for now. One thing though is when you go to assign the positions - can I suggest that you default the 10 positions to their one-to-one position. That is if not assigned make "AI" be "AI", etc for all 10 or perhaps a separate check box to set them that way. With 18 faces, I have 180 boxes to click on and make selections with... I know for 1 face this is not a big deal but if this is something that can be added, that would be great.

Also - I don't know my final channel selections so I just created 180 channels for now and mapped all 18x10 positions to a single channel - I will more than likely move to making that a group of pixels to match the corresponding mouth position. These will probably overlap as well - that is some channels might map into two or maybe even three groups - I assume that is OK?

edit - actually I guess it's 12 channels I need per face so 216 channels...

BrianJ
10-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Maybe being able to apply segments here would be great. assign each face to a segment or group and have any effect applied to one face applied across that group. that way you could divide your faces up any way you like.

JHinkle
10-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi Joe - using version 7G and started on "This is Halloween" which is 18 "faces" of animation. I see there is still only 10 available so far

I saw your statement this morning and said to my self --- What's Brian talking about - I posted back on 10/14 that 20 were available per his request.

I DID change the number of faces to 20 in all but ONE place .... There's an old saying - A job half job is a job not done at all --- it applies here.

I have fixed my blonde moment --- out in release 7H later today.

I have implemented some other things based on your request.

Back on 10/14 - I added Segment capability per your request AND removed the requirement that a channel only be in one mouth position.

Let me know if my gray is turning blonde elsewhere also.

Joe

JHinkle
10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Brian.

Segments still have the requirement of having a channels ONLY appearing in one Segement - otherewise the code gets big chasing link lists with not much gain.

I suggest making a Segment that holds channels common to multiple faces.

So each face may then end up being composed from Segments (unique to that face), Segments (common to multiple faces), and Channels (most likely in another Segment so you can't assign them to the face Segment).

Joe

budude
10-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Ok - I get your idea - that might work - I see you have "eye positions" as well - can you describe how that works - I assume similar to the mouth positions...

A small request as well - I was editing my channel layout and had added about half my control channels and had not done a save (yes - I know - my fault) and accidentally hit ESC and lost everything... Can you add an "Apply" button in addition to Save? This way I stay in the editor while continuing to make changes - just saves the step of doing Save and reopening the channel editor again. Also - can you add an "You have unsaved changes" type of dialog when hitting ESC and let me make sure I want to bail out without saving. I usually hate those things but I think it would be good to have here.

JHinkle
10-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Ok - I get your idea - that might work - I see you have "eye positions" as well - can you describe how that works - I assume similar to the mouth positions...

A small request as well - I was editing my channel layout and had added about half my control channels and had not done a save (yes - I know - my fault) and accidentally hit ESC and lost everything... Can you add an "Apply" button in addition to Save? This way I stay in the editor while continuing to make changes - just saves the step of doing Save and reopening the channel editor again. Also - can you add an "You have unsaved changes" type of dialog when hitting ESC and let me make sure I want to bail out without saving. I usually hate those things but I think it would be good to have here.

Brian:

I'm lost on what you are saying.

There is a BIG Save button up by the Ramp Effects.

Click it whenever you want to save.

There is no exiting and coming back in required.

I'll color it Green so it can't be missed.

Joe

budude
10-20-2012, 03:22 PM
If you select Manage Channels->Manage Raw Channels and you make changes - if you hit ESC it will exit and you will lose all your changes - that is the one item for the "hey dummy - you sure?" request. While I realize it's self-inflicted it would save lots of cussing... The other is if I want to save as I go, you have to hit "Save" which closes the channel editor and then reselect Manage Raw Channels again and continue editing. It would be handy that in addition to Save Changes, you have an "Apply Changes" - basically a save w/o exit...

JHinkle
10-20-2012, 03:40 PM
If you select Manage Channels->Manage Raw Channels and you make changes - if you hit ESC it will exit and you will lose all your changes - that is the one item for the "hey dummy - you sure?" request. While I realize it's self-inflicted it would save lots of cussing... The other is if I want to save as I go, you have to hit "Save" which closes the channel editor and then reselect Manage Raw Channels again and continue editing. It would be handy that in addition to Save Changes, you have an "Apply Changes" - basically a save w/o exit...

ESC and Cancel mean to exit without saving.

I'll put a Sanity Check in ... but it will affect any use of the Cancel button on that dialog.

How much work are you doing in the Raw Channel page that a save is required? Especially after I add the Sanity Check on Cancel - I don't see it being necessary.

Joe

budude
10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
I work in the channel editor a ton actually - not quite so much for Halloween but for Christmas with multi-thousand channels I do. An Apply Changes would be a good compromise I guess. Just trying to help others not do an oops and lose stuff...

Henedce
11-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Finished my first song using HLS animations.
Base down in around 1 hr then 1 hr of fine tuning .
Only videoed up to the break in the middle of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE8IBlWna_Q&feature=youtu.be

PS one of my dogs loves blinky flashy lights :)